Why would you get a scangauge....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I really love about my Scangauge is that it will show the MPG for each individual drive that I do with the car, while at the same time allowing me to keep track of the average MPG over a much longer period of time. So for instance, I love seeing the MPG I get on my trip to work, and trying to beat that figure, but I also want to know what my average is over a one to two month period before I reset it and also try to beat that number. I'd love it if they made an onboard display for that right from the factory, but I don't think anyone does, they just show average MPG overall (and instant MPG too usually) and you can only find it out for an individual trip if you were to constantly reset that average. I do know that the new Corvette will show your average MPG in a few different ways, one is an average since the last reset and it also shows it in a few different snapshots (MPG over last 25 and 50 miles for example) So that's pretty close to what I want straight out of the factory.

Originally Posted By: Patman
The one thing I really love about my Scangauge is that it will show the MPG for each individual drive that I do with the car, while at the same time allowing me to keep track of the average MPG over a much longer period of time. So for instance, I love seeing the MPG I get on my trip to work, and trying to beat that figure, but I also want to know what my average is over a one to two month period before I reset it and also try to beat that number. I'd love it if they made an onboard display for that right from the factory, but I don't think anyone does, they just show average MPG overall (and instant MPG too usually) and you can only find it out for an individual trip if you were to constantly reset that average. I do know that the new Corvette will show your average MPG in a few different ways, one is an average since the last reset and it also shows it in a few different snapshots (MPG over last 25 and 50 miles for example) So that's pretty close to what I want straight out of the factory.

I have noticed I have problems with torque incorrectly identifying the engine automatically.

For some reason, the computer keeps telling the application that my focus and my parents escape is a 1.6L engine. That screws up the instant mileage a bit. No problem with my Jeep improperly identifying.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I have noticed I have problems with torque incorrectly identifying the engine automatically.

For some reason, the computer keeps telling the application that my focus and my parents escape is a 1.6L engine. That screws up the instant mileage a bit. No problem with my Jeep improperly identifying.

With the Hyundai Advanced plug in for Torque I can choose between different car models, so I can use it on both cars; Accent and Genesis Coupe.. Don't know if they have plugins for Fords.

Patman, the Fusion Hybrid I drive at work does exactly that - gives per trip data: gals consumed, mpg and distance. Also has long-term mpg. I agree that'd be nice to see on all or more vehicles.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Also has long-term mpg.

Although it probably varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, those "long term" MPGs probably should be taken with a grain of salt.

I never reset mine, but I can make my long term MPG go up by several miles per gallon just over the course of a 200-300 mile road trip. This is on a car with 170K miles total on it. I suspect the "long term" calculation is only based on the past several hundred (or a thousand) miles or so.

Originally Posted By: Turk
I love my UltraGauge.

Me too. Does much more than the more expensive Scan gauge and is more compact. I have 6 gauges all at once.

I only use a scan gauge in my semi truck. Anything else that will plug into the Freightliner ECM port costs enough that one has to take out a loan it seems. The scan gauge sits real nice up on my dash and gives me a lot of info that the OEM displays do not, or does it better than some of the OEM displays.

For my pickup, not really a fan of putting a scan gauge in there. I prefer using the Lemur monitoring bluetooth unit and checking all the data on my iPhone using their app.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: Turk
I love my UltraGauge.

Me too. Does much more than the more expensive Scan gauge and is more compact. I have 6 gauges all at once.

I've had both, much prefer the ultra-gauge plus the ultra-gauge is made in the good old USA.

Originally Posted By: R2d2
I've had both, much prefer the ultra-gauge plus the ultra-gauge is made in the good old USA.

Not quite (I own one as well and there's a sticker on it)

"Where is UltraGauge Made?

UltraGauge was designed and developed in the USA by Ultra-Gauge.com. UltraGauge.com is a US company that exclusively manufactures and sells UltraGauge.
UltraGauge is assembled in China."

I stand corrected, but the ultra gauge is better then the scan gauge in my experience. The scan gauge is in a landfill somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back