1982 Toyota Celica Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend owns a 2.2 1982 Celica and has been using 10w-40 chevron oil. He thinks that the car is burning about 1 quart every 3 months.

What is a oil weight should he be using? Any particular oil brand?
Car has 467k miles

Wow that's a lot of miles!

How many miles does it take to burn that quart in three months?

I'd probably be using Maxlife 10w-40.

You didn't say how many miles in that time but....1 quart every 3 months and 467k, I would keep using whatever they've been using!

It's a 22 R 4 cylinder. He never waxes the car and looks real good. Not sure how long he's been using 10w-40 but he was thinking about switching to 20w-50.

I will find out how many miles equals 3 months..

Originally Posted By: Gito
It's a 22 R 4 cylinder. He never waxes the car and looks real good. Not sure how long he's been using 10w-40 but he was thinking about switching to 20w-50.

I will find out how many miles equals 3 months..

Maxlife 20w-50 if he goes that route.

I once got 500k out of that same engine in a truck running only 20w-50 year round.
I currently own an 84 truck with a 22R and have been using 5w-30 in winter and HDEO 15w-40 in summer.
Basically I don't think it matters what viscosity he runs, it's just inherently a long lasting engine.

Ask him to clean or replace the PCV valve, that was the cause of a little oil consumption with my truck recently..

He can try a higher viscosity, but given the age of his car, he really shouldn't expect much of an improvement.

I'm willing to be the only sure thing is to rebuild the engine, including overboring the cylinders and fitting oversized pistons and rings. A good rebuilt or 100% new Toyota 22R engine isn't too expensive if he really wants to keep this car.

I bought one of those new and sold it with 175K on it barely broken in. Had original brakes and clutch at 175K.

I'd run 15W40 in Cali. Valve stem seals might take care of some of the consumption.

Pcv valve is likely the culprit.(oil consumption)might as well change the hose to it also.this is liekly to fix this like another mentionned.i had forgotten those had pcv valve lol.

Still yet to answer how many miles it takes to burn 1.0 L of oil.
45.gif

Last edited:
If the oil pressure light isn't coming on use a HDEO 15w40. That's a lot of miles though, likely going to start seeing oil pressure problems from the higher miles. If you do have pressure problems then grab the Thickest 20w50 you can or Lucas sae 70 plus is a last resort. (the only Lucas product worth a darn)

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Still yet to answer how many miles it takes to burn 1.0 L of oil.
45.gif

More info required otherwise wasting time and space here.

Not sure why this is in the diesel section... but these are very good cars!

I've had a couple of Celica Supras of the same year (almost identical to your car with an inline-6). The Toyota quality back then was astounding.

I would continue with what you're doing! I used mostly 10w-30 back in the day.

i would always use high mileage oil on anything with over 75k
that old of motor i would use 10-30w

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back