Marvel Mystery Oil on Suzuki GSX1250FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a cheap experiment, at least in USA where one can buy a quart of MMO for less than $5.00 USD. It is not much more than the quality oil it replaces so the cost is not much compared to other additive alternatives. Talk to longtime users of the product such as DEMARPAINT

Don't think MMO is suitable for bikes with a wet clutch..if yours has one. Email or call MMO to be sure.

I use MMO in my bike's fuel tank for decades..the carbs require very little adjustment and I think it helps now that we have ethanol in our fuel.
Laverda+NC.JPG

I only use it in my gas. I use it also in all my lawn equipment. Seem to have no problems with carbs clogging or gumming up. My 10% alcohol gas with mmo doesn't seem to go bad as quick. I don't use it in my oil as I feel if you use good oil, you don't need to add anything to it. Gas on the other hand can vary in quality from tank to tank.,,

dyno testing has shown that 4oz per 2gal gives a big gain.

this tiny amount of oil in the fuel help seal the rings to the cylinder wall better and thus the hp gain.

ive not used it in the wet sump shared oil.

steve

I also use it in the gas tanks of all my vehicles and equipment......Including 3 motorcycles. I use very small amounts.........About an ounce per gallon.....And maybe every third or fourth fillup. I also use Chevron Techron, in about the same amounts and timing.

Never tried MMO but Yamaha has a product called "Ringfree" that I"ve used for 82,000 miles in my TL1000 that has kept the valves spotless......well something has kept them clean...LOL

Marvel Mystery Oil has been around since the 1920's and has a very simple, yet effective chemical composition (when compared to other high quality fuel system cleaners like Chevron's Techron Concentrate). Although MMO states their product can be used in both the fuel and oil in their listed concentrations, I would be reserved about replacing 10-25% of my shared sump oil with MMO and running normal OCI's. Instead, if your motorcycle hasn't had regular OCI's or want to aid in reducing possible varnish/sludge deposits, I wouldn't hesitate using it as more of a "motor flush" and running it at idle once operating temp. has been reached for 10-15 minutes. Otherwise, using it in the fuel is a great idea at either cleaning/maintenance doses to aid in keeping the fuel system clean and free of deposits.

From their MSDS sheet their open and honest with their petroleum distillate selection, which comprises of either light or heavy aromatic Naptha @ 70-80% concentrations along with Mineral Spirits/Stoddard Solvent at the remaining 20-30%. It's brutally simple, but Naptha and Mineral Spirits are two of the primary ingredients in any well performing fuel system cleaner.

MMO MSDS

I would not use it in the oil, but have used it in my gas. I would be worried about the wet clutch compatibility and honestly modern oils clean so well that many newer bike engines I have seen opened up were spotless inside.

Originally Posted By: sunruh

steve

I would love to see that data.

Originally Posted By: KernelK

steve

I would love to see that data.

+1.

steve

Mercy Steve... "big gain" like what amounts are you talking about???

Oil additives....rarely. But I did use one quart of MMO along with a gallon of Supertech HDEO in my vintage small block chevy and it really desludged that engine over a few short OCI's

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
Don't think MMO is suitable for bikes with a wet clutch..if yours has one. Email or call MMO to be sure.

I use MMO in my bike's fuel tank for decades..the carbs require very little adjustment and I think it helps now that we have ethanol in our fuel.

I don't own a bike, but I think DB Cooper is spot on. I'd be very concerned with the wet clutch, if the bike uses one. As far as adding it to the gas, have at it.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

steve

Mercy Steve... "big gain" like what amounts are you talking about???

well you guys got me curious and i went diggin.
took a while as the names i had were just a touch off.
ffa dont match ffr in a search...doh

holy archives batman, that was 2003!!! but i did find it.

i was a little off, 3oz of MMO per 5gal of fuel...helps almost 1 hp in the 50-60hp range of the motor. now we are talking about a 450cc single. info was from Tyrce in Ky and maybe you might know Ron Hamp from michigan? ron designed the heads that you can buy from tuft racing.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
I don't believe Oil additives are cost effective...

+1

If there is a specific problem, use a product made to address that specific problem. Otherwise if you want a better oil, buy a better oil.

Quote:
3oz of MMO per 5gal of fuel...helps almost 1 hp in the 50-60hp range

Almost 2%! What's the margin of calibration error of that dyno?...3%?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back