Escape Lower control Arms - Dorman or Moog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite the changes to moog I would bet they are still better than dorman.

BTW has anybody seen the demo model of the moog gusher bearing material? Very cool, wonder of it works that well in practice.

I always go with MOOG unless I can't get'em for my applications. Sometimes, I can only get a Moog for one side of the vehicle even on MOOG's site. And if I need both sides(control arms i.e.), I'll buy what I can get, often it's the Dorman and I've been very happy with Dorman thus far!

Make sure to pay attention to how the original bushings are oriented. Many times they will have a slot that needs to run a certain direction.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes pop the arm and press them out. Easy enough and a lot cheaper plus you know the original arm tracks properly. Win Win for you and the guy who buys it.
I'll take my own good refurbed OE arm over an aftermarket any day.

Thanks Trav! I assume the normal ball joint press kit can handle this job

Yes pop the arm and press them out. Easy enough and a lot cheaper plus you know the original arm tracks properly. Win Win for you and the guy who buys it.

So I was thinking of replacing my wife's control arms as well....but just doing the bushings is a much better idea?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
With some cars, the LCA bushings are not available separately- they make you buy the whole LCA.

True, but you might be able to find polyurethane bushings if no rubber ones are available or something else listed for another vehicle

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

So I was thinking of replacing my wife's control arms as well....but just doing the bushings is a much better idea?

I wouldn't. i was going to do that on our escape but the time to replace just bushings is a lot. It was the same price for me to replace the entire lower control arm assembly vs just the bushings because of the labor reduction. Plus there was a bit of rust that bothered me.

I wish I knew what control arms we got on our escape. I can tell you they are from NAPA but that is it. They seem like quality parts so far.

I think this is mine: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...5490_0437279309

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Thanks Trav! I assume the normal ball joint press kit can handle this job

Some can be done with a ball joint press, some need a simple home made tool with threaded rod, big hardware store washers and some pieces of pipe.
If you need a picture of a home made tool let me know i will post it.

I use a normal vertical press on most of the metal shell ones. On non metal shell (common on 4x4 LCA) ones i just set them on fire, wait a min and push it out with a stick.
Some of the cast iron arms on trucks and vehicles that use torsion bars cost hundreds of dollars, bushings cost $25.

If you cant do them give the arm and bushings to a garage or machine shop and let them press them out and back in for a few bucks.
If you were closer i would press them for you if you bought the coffee. It only takes a few min.

Edit: If you do use a new arm make sure it fits easily in the mountings. You should not have to force any bolts in or pry it one way or the other.
If you do its bent, take it back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back