Turbo 2.0L 4cylinders - Beat V6s? (Ecoboost, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a problem with Ford branding their latest iteration of turbocharging. They think their new sliced bread is better than everyone else's sliced bread. All makers do that to some degree. Some of their crowing is downright funny, such as highlighting their water-cooled bearings as some kind of major new development.

I honestly don't think Ford is doing it any better or worse than the others. They've just given theirs a great name.

But their claim of "zero-loss" at higher altitude is exactly that, a claim, and defies the physics involved. Simply parroting it as so, or relying on a bunch of paid road test reviewers using butt dynos, without meaningful physical test data, doesn't overcome the reality. Turbos overcome atmospheric pressure loss by accelerating turbines to extra high speeds to reach elevated boost levels. And that always takes more time. Always. And time is power.

But butt dyno observations aside, it is presently possible to have higher altitude outputs reach over 90% of sea level rpm reference with some of the latest turbocharging tricks being used, such as dual stage turbines and more complex wastegate management maps. And it is easier still to reduce spool up delay with smaller displacement engines and smaller turbines. But as long as turbines have mass and boost must be developed (it cannot be stored), the reality of spool up delay can never be entirely fully overcome. There will always be a power loss at higher altitudes compared to sea level reference, as building up the extra boost always takes extra time. You can't change the physics of inertia and acceleration of mass.

And bear in mind that using some of these latest tricks, such as dual stage turbines and advanced wastegate management, and all of their associated plumbing and electronics, on top of all the usual added plumbing and electronics involved with modern turbocharging, only makes for a much more complex engine compartment and a less reliable power plant. A flaked out TCV can neuter an engine, and it can also blow one up. Deckless blocks running elevated boost at high altitudes do not always hold up as well as they should. That's the trade off for all of the wonderful benefits of turbocharging. It's an important owner consideration.

For someone not used to turbos, I'd carefully consider the maintenance and repair element before buying these new turbos. Turbo engines do not tolerate subpar maintenance like a NA engine can. But all the majors are now jumping on the turbo bandwagon, and they're going to be harder to ignore in future.

Saying "normally encountered" altitudes, doesn't say anything. But if Ford can reduce the spool lag to achieve over 90% of sea-level power at 8k feet, that's great. Is it essentially "equal" power? Perhaps so to the average driver. But it's not zero loss. And no one else, including BMW, Mercedes and Volvo, can pull off zero loss at higher altitudes. Boost takes time. Running to higher boost to overcome reduced barometric pressure always takes longer.

The good news is that all the new turbos handle altitude a heck of a lot better than a NA engine. That these engines also weigh significantly less than a comparable power NA engine certainly adds to the butt dyno effect. The best news is that it's even a better rush at cooler sea level temps.

This is coming from someone who's had a lot of European turbos over the years and whose favorite track car happens to be a high output turbo. So I like them very much, follow them, and know them intimately as much as anyone. But they're NOT a free lunch.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Really? Because turbo-normalized aircraft produce exactly rated HP up to the specified limit. Often 25,000 feet or more. And, they do so at a set manifold pressure.

And they have to spool up to that output. It doesn't mean as much to an aircraft running at a constant throttle at altitude as it does to a motor vehicle operating at much wider throttle spreads across varying road speeds and conditions. Don't confuse absolute pressure with spool up.

And above service ceiling, turbocharged piston aircraft engine output plummets. Why is that?

Originally Posted By: Cujet
There is no question that turbo spool up time is increased at altitude. And the result is an increase in 0-60 times due to a slower launch. That's OK, I'm not drag racing anybody while driving or towing in the mountains. Turbo's still vastly outperform normally aspirated engines at altitude. I think, to rail against spool time is silly.

It seems we both agree on that, so we may be discussing this at cross-purposes.

I do disagree that spool time is silly. It is very significant factor to take off and acceleration, which is what we all want in an engine. In my analysis, spool up directly affects power delivery. All engines are relatively loafing once at cruising speed.

I'm not sure I'd use a gasoline turbo for towing, though. Too much sustained boost. Perhaps a turbo diesel.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead

But butt dyno observations aside, it is presently possible to have higher altitude outputs reach over 90% of sea level rpm reference with some of the latest turbocharging tricks being used,

A conventionally turbocharged and intercooled engine with a well sized turbo will produce 98% of it's sea level power at 10,000 feet. No tricks required. The ONLY requirement is that intake manifold pressure is maintained.

"Small, Hot, & Stressed" would definitely describe the new 2.3T in the Mustang, although the 2.0 in the Focus ST isn't far behind.

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
I like Lubrizol's summary of engine oil issues with the latest wave of turbo direct injection engines, although a lot of what is said about particulates in particular (ha-ha) would apply to non-turbo DI as well. "Small, Hot, & Stressed" http://gf-6.com/sites/default/files/Turb...ig%20Hurdle.pdf

My 300 bhp 2.3 liter Mazda DI turbo really stresses its oil; Blackstone opines that I could probably run M1 5W-30 EP up to 10,000 miles- see: my latest UOA.

Originally Posted By: FocusTi
"Small, Hot, & Stressed" would definitely describe the new 2.3T in the Mustang, although the 2.0 in the Focus ST isn't far behind.

Ford wants to show the world how their 2015 Mustang 2.3L Ecoboost is faster than the V6 base. So Ford REDUCED POWER in the V6 from the 2014 Mustang to give the edge to the Ecoboost.

In my VW GTI with a 2.0L turbo motor I get consistently 27-28 mpg with 5% to 0% highway. Great immediate torque and great gearbox (DSG) makes for an efficient car. 0 to 60 is probably 6.5 seconds.

My father and I can get impressive fuel economy out of the Ecoboost engine they have. But we are very smooth on the pedal and somewhat relaxed drivers (we go the speed limit, but don't mash our foot to the floor to get there).

The last trip I took, I saw mileage as high as 33, but did end up averaging about 29. Will be interested in seeing how well it does on the next long trip running 91.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: rationull
It seems like there's a lot of disparaging based simply on the fact that Ford has "branded" the turbo + DI combination in their engines.

Ford did that with its "Control Blade" rear suspension system as well. It's a long flexible trailing arm (the blade) which takes care of longitudinal and brake torque forces with a number of lateral links for toe and camber control. The key is the "control blade", but it was used in a number of designs before Ford "invented" it in 1998.

I'd switch out my "control blade" for a beam axle in a minute if I could. No need for independent rear suspension on an economy, compact, commuter car. I just had to spend $130 so it will stop chewing up it's rear tires.

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
Like in the original post in this thread, we see that some turbos produce great acceleration and fuel economy. BMW stands out. Yet, I would rather go Mazda's way of 'simply' running higher compression ratios to get more power and efficiency at the same time (engineers remember thermal efficiency and the Otto cycle P-V diagram). Mazda's Skyactiv wins over Turbo+DI.

I did like the few Skyactiv engines I drove. But even with DI, they can't be turbocharged and make the impressive power that the ford Ecoboost does.

In the case of the 2.0 and 2.3 Ecoboost and Skyactive 2.0/2.5 ... they are pretty much evolution of the same engine. One is running a "lower" 10.5:1 compression and a turbo and the other is running 13/14:1 compression with no turbo.

Personal observations from owning one of each of the discussed engines...

On the highway fuel economy between my two cars appears to be a wash. 30-31ish for each.

Around town the GTI wins by about 3 mpg on average. Although I'm not sure how much that has to do with the engine versus the weight of the vehicles. I'm sure if you threw the VW 2.0T in the Camry the fuel economy around town wouldn't be drastically different. But this particular engine doesn't seem like it was optimized for fuel economy, so maybe it's not a fair comparison.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I did like the few Skyactiv engines I drove. But even with DI, they can't be turbocharged and make the impressive power that the ford Ecoboost does.

In the case of the 2.0 and 2.3 Ecoboost and Skyactive 2.0/2.5 ... they are pretty much evolution of the same engine. One is running a "lower" 10.5:1 compression and a turbo and the other is running 13/14:1 compression with no turbo.

The skyactiv was a new design from the ground up by Mazda and had no collaboration with Ford. Same with Ford's ecoboost engine. Mazda had to start over when designing the skyactiv because they were not only engineering the engine but engineering how it was manufactured. They engineered their new manufacturing facilities, assembly lines, engines, etc. all at the same time to improve efficiencies in manufacturing as well as fuel efficiency.

Mazda didn't just engineer the new skyactiv platforms for efficiency, they engineered EVERYTHING that goes into making the new platforms to help them be competitive despite the fewer resources.

Ford's ecoboost 2.0 is an evolution of the old(er) port injected 4 cylinder Duratec/MZR engine.

They took the duratec 4, added variable valve timing, then at a later date made it DI (2012 Focus) and now they took that and added turbocharging to it.

The 1.6 is the Zeta engine with a few updates or turbocharging.

Ford's ecoboost 2.0 is an evolution of the old(er) port injected 4 cylinder Duratec/MZR engine.

They took the duratec 4, added variable valve timing, then at a later date made it DI (2012 Focus) and now they took that and added turbocharging to it.

That's a bit of a simplification. They completely redid the basic engine. It has a much higher compresson ratio now (12:1) new pistons, in addition to DI and Ti-VCT.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

That's a bit of a simplification. They completely redid the basic engine. It has a much higher compresson ratio now (12:1) new pistons, in addition to DI and Ti-VCT.

Actually it's not a simplification at all. Ford does not have the same expertise in small 4 cylinder engines as Mazda does and their move on the duratec engine proves once and for all that Mazda was designing 4 cylinder engines for them and not Ford.

Now just look at Skyactive 2.0 and 2.5 and you will realize they have two different blocks among other changes to keep the weight down as much as possible. Why do you think they did not have the 2.5 ready as quickly as everybody expected. Everybody thought that they would just bore out the 2.0 like everyone else would. Their new line of engines is truly new. Mazda's achievement is tremendous for such a tiny player in the market.

The focus DI came out after the Ecoboost engines.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Ford does not have the same expertise in small 4 cylinder engines as Mazda does

Ford has been building 4 cyl engines in Europe since the twenties and produced some technically advanced and very good engines over the years.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Ford does not have the same expertise in small 4 cylinder engines as Mazda does

Ford has been building 4 cyl engines in Europe since the twenties and produced some technically advanced and very good engines over the years.

They have but Mazda designed their Duratec lineup for them.

Now just look at Skyactive 2.0 and 2.5 and you will realize they have two different blocks among other changes to keep the weight down as much as possible. Why do you think they did not have the 2.5 ready as quickly as everybody expected. Everybody thought that they would just bore out the 2.0 like everyone else would. Their new line of engines is truly new. Mazda's achievement is tremendous for such a tiny player in the market.

Mazda had no need to have the 2.5 liter engine ready at the same time as the 2.0 engine.

Mazda uses the 2.0 in most markets other than the US market as the larger available gasoline engine in it's vehicles. The Mazda 6 comes with the 2.0 standard in non-US markets, where as you can't get the 2.0 in the Mazda 6 in the US market at all.

Since Mazda knows they are going to sell less 2.5 engines across the world than 2.0, they felt no need to push it through the system. If you remember back to the launch of the CX-5, that whole first year it was on sale, no one was able to get a 2.5 engine in one.

As for their engine line, their new CNC process is able to build a 1.5, 2.0 or a 2.5 using the exact same CNC equipment. It automatically chooses the needed tools to cut the engine block with.

Here's a great article on the machining efficiencies they found with the SkyActiv engines versus the old MZR engines. Nearly 5 hours quicker to cut a SkyAvtiv engine than it is to cut an MZR engine.

http://articles.sae.org/11783/

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back