VOA of Dino vs syn diesel oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking around at some VOA's and find it interesting that the Dino's and syns are so similar. For example, rotella t 10w30 essentially tests the same as t5. T6 5w40 is very close to T. Does this mean the difference is in the base oils? Does it mean that the differences just aren't captured by the tests? Does it mean syn diesel oils are overrated?

First thing i learned here is that dino work ok over short OCI,except of bulding sludge when used for a long period.Synthetics purpose is long OCI.

The additive packages will be very similar due to the need to meet the same spec...CJ-4 in this case. The new oils won't show any wear metals, won't show any contaminant (shouldn't, anyway), and the viscosity had better be in spec. So, what's to see?

The main benefits of syn oil is the higher viscosity index, the reduced thickening when very cold and reduced thinning when very hot. Both syn and conventional must meet the SAE J300 viscosity spec, so they won't look that much different at the tested temperature. And the other main benefit of syn oil is its reduced rate of oxidation, and that won't show on virgin oil, either.

VOAs are mainly for curiosity. Used oil analyses show the real story--how the oil performs when worked.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
The additive packages will be very similar due to the need to meet the same spec...CJ-4 in this case.

And the ACEA specs in question also play a role. Things like Rotella 15w-40 have to meet a fairly low SA limit yet have a rather high TBN, just like any synthetic HDEOs that meet the same ACEA specs.

With most of the dino diesel oil's gpIII, I do not see that much difference between dino and syn. I personaly have ran t-5 in the upper teens and 5w40 in the same conditions and i couldn't tell any difference in cold starting.

Imop the only place for syn is in extream cold or extend oci for a roi. How many class 8 trucks run hundreds of miles on dino... to many to count.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ken2
The additive packages will be very similar due to the need to meet the same spec...CJ-4 in this case. The new oils won't show any wear metals, won't show any contaminant (shouldn't, anyway), and the viscosity had better be in spec. So, what's to see?

The main benefits of syn oil is the higher viscosity index, the reduced thickening when very cold and reduced thinning when very hot. Both syn and conventional must meet the SAE J300 viscosity spec, so they won't look that much different at the tested temperature. And the other main benefit of syn oil is its reduced rate of oxidation, and that won't show on virgin oil, either.

VOAs are mainly for curiosity. Used oil analyses show the real story--how the oil performs when worked.

I would just add that UOAs are useless without a VOA.

Originally Posted By: Rosetta
Can't you compare the specs sheet with the UOA? Or the spec sheets are useless?

Spec sheets don't show
* sodium, which can be an oil additive, or a contaminant.
* Iron, silicon etc. which can be dirty equipment at the oil bottling plant, engine wear, bad filtration, or engine sealants.

If you have a VOA, you are looking for things that are different from it...without one, you are assuming that everything was "normal", or "zero"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back