Ryobi SS30 trimmer won't stay running

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was working in the yard tonight and my Ryobi started acting like it was not wanting to run but I kept it revved so I could finish. Once I was done it died. Would not restart and was not out of fuel. I sprayed it down with carb cleaner and let it cool. It won't run for more than a second. Same with staying a bit of Starter Fluid. So I'm not really sire what to do with it. It's 10 years old so I've gotten good use out of it. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted By: old1
fuel filter in the tank?

It still looked good. I disconnected one line and fuel was flowing through. I might replace it all to be safe anyway. Not sure what else it could be. Just doesn't seem to getting fuel though

carb diaphragms-- but I agree, that unless it is something simple, that is a throwaway unit. I am partial to Echo, but Stihl is also excellent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Do yourself a favor. Throw that thing in the dumpster, and go buy yourself a Stihl. You can thank me later.
Originally Posted By: old1
carb diaphragms-- but I agree, that unless it is something simple, that is a throwaway unit. I am partial to Echo, but Stihl is also excellent.

I had one 15 years ago, it was a 2 season unit, i have a huskqvarna. Stihl, Husky, Echo would be the way to go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Sounds about like when my ryobi leaf vac cracked a rod back in 1997.

It was strange. Right at the end I had to rev it to keep going. Now wont stay running. Would hate to have to buy a new one since my mower is already down and in the shop.

A lot of those 2-cycle engines need crankcase impulse suction to operate the fuel pump diaphragm inside the carburetor, that's one of the first things I'd check. Once I verified that it had crankcase impulse suction, then I'd be taking the carburetor apart for cleaning the screens and replacing any diaphragms that needed replacing. Also, these carburetors don't have a float, but they still have an inlet needle to check.

Originally Posted By: Ken42
Don't trash it trade it in

It's worthless. Nobody wants a broken, non-running Ryobi. It has zero trade in value.

Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna and Tanaka will give you 15 years of service on an average homeowner lot and is where I would spend my money.

Do yourself a favor. Throw that thing in the dumpster, and go buy yourself a Stihl. You can thank me later.

So what Stihl Trimmer do you recommend?

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

So what Stihl Trimmer do you recommend?

Not a Stihl but I would recommend a Tanaka TBC240PFCS or a TBC260PF for a straight shaft.

Looks like it ending up being a loose cylinder. Not sure if bolt has come loose or broken off yet or not. Will know more once I get into it.

Got it back yesterday and it runs like a champ. The mechanic kept saying that it probably hasn't been used much due to how clean it is inside and out. I told it get used at least 1.5 hours a week and its 10 years old. I just clean all my equipment after each use. Makes a difference. No matter what I'm going to retire it after this season and get a Stihl, just ready for something new. I doubt a new Ryobi would last this long.

Old Ryobi and Ryan whackers were the cheapies of their day. Go into a small engine place 15 years ago and they would tell you to junk it because it was the bottom of the barrel. Today, your 10 year old Ryobi is still not a Stihl, but it is a tough old bird that will last many years to come. Their common problems would be one of the two head bolts vibrating loose, the fuel line rotting, letting the fuel filter fall free in the tank, the primer bulb rotting after 5 or 6 years, and the metering diaphragm stiffening up (from lack of use) in the carb. I have my Dad's 20-year-old Ryan whacker and it runs like a top.

Originally Posted By: chevman4life
Got it back yesterday and it runs like a champ. The mechanic kept saying that it probably hasn't been used much due to how clean it is inside and out. I told it get used at least 1.5 hours a week and its 10 years old. I just clean all my equipment after each use. Makes a difference. No matter what I'm going to retire it after this season and get a Stihl, just ready for something new. I doubt a new Ryobi would last this long.

I have to agree. I got a new Ryobi (made in china) to replace a made in USA I'd had for 8 years. The new one is much less powerful and is noticeably cheaper in construction and materials. The main reason I went with Ryobi again was that I have 4 attachments that wouldn't work with a Stihl or Echo. Had either of those companies decided to make it possible for my attachments to work with their powerheads, we'd have a deal. But to have to sell/trash 4 working attachments and buy much more expensive replacements is madness, madness I say!

I was researching this subject for a friend, and just to add to the knowledge base I read that if a small engine like this that will start but won't stay running, it could be a blocked breather hole in the fuel tank cap. If vacuum is created in the fuel tank because the tank breather (inside the cap) isn't working, then the carb diaphragm won't be able to pull fuel into the carb.

You need to find a "shade tree" small engine mechanic who has the tool to tweak the adjustment screw that 1/4 turn that the company selling it isn't legally allowed by the EPA to tweak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back