What do you expect for a vehicle life expectancy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
These days it is usually not the drive train, but accident, interior falling apart, rust, bad design (head gasket, drop valve, transmission, VW, or high cost of repair, etc) that cause them to die. I'm surprised that people in rust belt don't buy used southern cars instead of new cars to save money.

I've thought of it. But how does one do that? Take a week off from work, catch a Greyhound down, and shop? I don't like buying cars until I have driven the one in question.

after a max. of 200,000 miles or 10 years, I am ready to let someone else spend the never ending nickel and dimes it takes to keep that type of machine going.
Yes, you can keep a car going and going for a very long time, if you like.

I would be satisfied with 15 years/200k miles before a major failure that exceeds the value of the car. Here's how I would break down my ownership expectations:

< 100k miles - regular maintenance/wear items only
< 150k miles - minor repairs
< 200k miles - more expensive repairs

Granted, the oldest and highest mileage vehicle I ever owned was only 16 years old and 180k miles. I sold it because there were impending repair issues that were probably going to cost more than the SUV was worth.

A lot of people are saying around 200k miles.

I'm currently a little above 155k on my 07 expedition. I've owned it since 2010. The biggest repair done so far was a fuel pump replacement. Other than that it has been oil changes and a transmission drain/fill.

At one point I was thinking about selling it but with such high mileage I might as well keep it until it dies.

I would expect about 200k as well. Of course many considerations to enter into the picture like salted roads (not here thank you), harsh city driving, maintenance etc.
My Ford Focus isn't going to make it without a lot of expense (my guess). I've only got about 70k and the thing is a trap.

Cars must be getting better. I read an article published in the very early 1900's. It discussed an engine oil that performed so well that the vehicle operator can expect it to last for 300 to 500 miles. It went on to state that one could also expect to make it to 1,000 miles before the next tune up. Oil change intervals today are longer and tune ups practically eliminated. The good ole days may not have been so good after all, considering the quality of cars today. Imagine what a 1910 automobile operator would think of the cheapest car on the lot of a new car dealer?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
These days it is usually not the drive train, but accident, interior falling apart, rust, bad design (head gasket, drop valve, transmission, VW, or high cost of repair, etc) that cause them to die. I'm surprised that people in rust belt don't buy used southern cars instead of new cars to save money.

My mother and father knew someone who became wealthy selling southern cars in northern states. He specialized in Subarus.

Anyway, I am used to seeing an engine and transmission last 200,000 miles, but I never see interiors, suspensions, or electrical systems go that distance. Late in the life of a car, a major suspension can have such a high parts and labor cost that it exceeds the value of the car.

200k without serious problems. Our 2005 Legacy GT failed in that aspect with a valve job and $$$$ one due to motor removal at 168,000 miles. A known weakness of car.

My parents since the 1980's always managed into 250k range without major problems on variety of vehicles domestic and Japanese.

When I lived in Buffalo, we would junk cars right around 100k due to the harsh winters destroying the body on the car.

Out here in Texas, I think I can go forever..

I would hope to get 200K our of all my vehicles, but probably not so. I say 100K on the Jetta due to electronic failures and 120K out of the Equinox, also due to electronic failures. The Jetta is rock solid at 57K, but it is a VW... The Equinox already has electrical issues at almost 80K, not to mention the famous GM power lock modules failing. I'm sure the motors would go to 200K, but the vehicles themselves...no...

I will say the Expedition is fairing better. At 145K everything is still functional (albeit one window motor in the very back vent glass) and running well. It likes to eat a coil pack every once in a while, but that's about it. Shame we're selling it; it just does not get used anymore. The tires have over 90% tread on them, but are cracking from just sitting in the garage.

Here in South Florida, we don't really have rust problems (mild rust, not severe like up North) but the sun, heat and humidity really does a number on the plastics in modern cars. My dashboards, vents, headliner, interior trim, door handles, electrical connectors, suspension bushings and other plastic parts all fail within 10 years.

I don't like driving a disintegrating vehicle, especially as parts become difficult to find. Hence my "less than 200K" statement.

I feel like 200k is a reasonable expectation.

The GTI is holding up great at 81k. It's just trucking along happily with no issues.

The Camry at 97k is worrying me a bit and I've only had it for a couple thousand miles. One bad wheel bearing, blown shocks (that I should have noticed before purchasing, but missed), the VVTI oil line that's prone to fail at any time (well documented issue).... it's been the worst car I've owned in years, and I just bought it. I want 100k out of this car, but if I have to throw hundreds of dollars at it every couple of months it may be worth it to cut my losses.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
I feel like 200k is a reasonable expectation.

The GTI is holding up great at 81k. It's just trucking along happily with no issues.

The Camry at 97k is worrying me a bit and I've only had it for a couple thousand miles. One bad wheel bearing, blown shocks (that I should have noticed before purchasing, but missed), the VVTI oil line that's prone to fail at any time (well documented issue).... it's been the worst car I've owned in years, and I just bought it. I want 100k out of this car, but if I have to throw hundreds of dollars at it every couple of months it may be worth it to cut my losses.

I must say if I got any LESS than 200k miles out of one of my trucks in fleet service I would be very disappointed. I feel that those cars mentioned are nearly new!!!

I think it's a mix of mileage and age.

I think a new car driven by a salesperson 50k a year should go 250,000 easy.

A 25 year old car with only 10,000 per year seems to be harder miles and of course it is worth much mess so they go to the scrap yard for a $1000 repair that would be fixed in a newer, higher mileage car.

My company gets rid of the cars around 90-100,000 miles. That's usually when they're due for tires again and could have some fresh suspension parts so they head to the auction.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I must say if I got any LESS than 200k miles out of one of my trucks in fleet service I would be very disappointed. I feel that those cars mentioned are nearly new!!!

Yaeh, I'll feel the same way if either of my cars don't last that long. I've been chalking up the issues with the Camry to "I bought a used car, it happens." Hopefully after I address these things it'll give me many tens of thousands of trouble free miles.

well maintained modern cars 1990 and newer, i would expect 200,000 out of the motors and atleast 100,000 out of the transmissions.

"new,new" cars 2005 and newer.. well maintained motors 250-300,000 and 150,000 on trannys..

I overmaintain most of my stuff as i just dont know how long im going to keep it..

I drive BMW's mostly, so I expect a minimum of 300k out of them, but I change cars frequently compared to some of you. ~50k so far is the most miles I've put on a single vehicle.

My fleet:

1997 Chevy C2500 - ~361k (12k of them mine and a friends miles, driving, hauling [censored], and his racecar all over the SE)
1995 BMW 318ti - 245k miles (M52 engine swapped, I've put ~50k on this since swapping it)
1998 BMW 528i - 196k miles (4k I've put on this so far), runs like a champ, on it's 2nd auto trans according to the PO

Originally Posted By: Trav
I have no expectations. If the engine blows and i want to keep the car it gets a rebuild or another one.
The car will basically last as long as i want to keep it.

This is the voice of reason.
One can keep any car running for as many miles as he cares to.
Now, with no major repairs, I've had 200K+, 15 yr+ Hondas and Benz diesels.
I've come close with a Ford, but it got wrecked before it reached 200K.
Industry design life is 150K, so 200K with decent maintenance should be attainable.
A lot depends upon how much the car is used.
A car that's daily driven in Ohio and only gets 10K a year won't last 200K, since rust will kill it first.
A similar car with similar use might well make 200K is Socal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back