Meijer Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any info on the Meijer Synthetic? I just noticed it in their stores. Costs around $20 for 5 quart jug.

I found a thread that said it was made by Citgo back in 2009. I think any of the big chains that have their own private label would have a stout middle of the road quality oil. Not as good as Mobil1 or PP but better by a long shot than a dino let's say. Warren might make it. On that same thread someone said Conoco Phillips made it. If you are asking if it is safe and will it do damage to the engine. Yes its safe, no I wouldn't worry about any damage. Is it a stellar performer.... probly not.

I use Pep Boys Pro Line in my ford explorer and do 5000 oci, no problem. The manager told me recently that pennzoil is making proline now... I didn't reallyt answer your question but,,, anyway.

Quote:
Is it a stellar performer.... probly not.
Agree. There is a quality range in Group III base oils (highly refined conventional oil that can be marketed as "synthetic") and a quality range in the additive packages. Regardless of who blends the oil for that seller, they're doing it to a budget for the seller. I'd rather buy a top brand conventional than a budget brand syn.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
Is it really not as good as a brand name conventional like castrol gtx?

In what way and for what purpose?
GTX is better if you prefer white jugs to grey ones.
Beyond that, who really knows?
There is a VOA of the Meijer syn in that forum.
GTX doesn't exactly have a stellar add pack, so who can really say which is the better oil?
The Meijer syn does have a high virgin TBN, but we don't have anything on TBN retention.
The moral of the story is that you should just pick an API SN oil and move on.
I'll post a UOA of Meijer syn in a year or so, after three consecutive runs of it in the Focus.
I'd like to see more UOAs of something other than PU, PP or M1, so I'll contribute to that cause.

I got oreillys synthetic yesterday, 5w 30 with a. Microgard filter made by wix with the same part number as the wix for 19.99

Is this similar to the meijer oil, as the packaging looks the same

O'Reilly's synthetic is fine for use in any car you don't care about.
J/K
It's an API SN oil and I'm sure it'll be fine.
The same as Meijer's house brand?
That I couldn't tell you.

thanks, those last two URLs were very helpful, but what about meijer and oreilly's synthetic? i saw the data on the conventional oreillys, looks like castrol edge (formerly syntec) is good oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back