2014 Genuine Hooligan Gear Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
That assumption is based on the fact that Suzuki builds and WARRANTIES the Burgman with 3k oil changes.

I'm spinning 7000-7800RPM on the highway.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
That assumption is based on the fact that Suzuki builds and WARRANTIES the Burgman with 3k oil changes.

Thanks cool. Honda does the same thing. I'm sure your Burgman will last until at least until the warranty period is up. After that, who knows. That's all Suzuki cares about....getting you past the warranty period with minimal service calls/claims.

I'm sure you're fine with 3000 mile OCI's on the Burgman. What is the oil capacity? What oil do you run?

On my Ruckus, I spend 90% of the time between 9-10k RPM's. The little 50cc engine is water cooled, but I added an oil cooler. That's helped raise the oil capacity from 0.6 quarts to all of 0.8 quarts. LOL!!! Plus, I have no filter.

if I'm wrong about the hooligan having a filter...I apologize for wasting your time; if you are gonna do frequent oil changes (eg...1000 miles like some Honda scooters -- helix, elite 80, etc), then using a conventional hdeo makes sense since they less expensive than synthetic oils (especially motorcycle/scooter oils); or you could stock up on conventional motorcycle oils when they are on sale (autozone has all their motorcycles on sale until July 28 -- $2.00 off per quart -- which makes the valvoline & castrol conventional motorcycle oils $4.00 per quart); there are folks that use pcmo with short oci's like 1000 miles...several examples follow:

BMA Cycles in Bainbridge, PA uses Castrol GTX for conventional oil changes (unless customer requests something different); Castrol GTX is popular among Honda Rebel 250 owners (no oil filter & 1000 mile oci's); I use less expensive pcmo's in my bikes/scooters for short term oci's (late autumn/winter/early spring; engine flushes)

*** if I were you I would have my selling dealer verify presence of oil filter & have them show me where it is located under the body panels; if they can't due to lack of knowledge then urge them to contact Genuine Scooter Company for information & contact Genuine yourself to verify oil filter, location on hooligan, and how to access it!!! ***

now my curiosity is peaked...contacted my dealer & they not sure, but gonna find out; I'll check back here next week to update...later!

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Thanks cool. Honda does the same thing. I'm sure your Burgman will last until at least until the warranty period is up. After that, who knows. That's all Suzuki cares about....getting you past the warranty period with minimal service calls/claims.

I'm sure you're fine with 3000 mile OCI's on the Burgman. What is the oil capacity? What oil do you run?

On my Ruckus, I spend 90% of the time between 9-10k RPM's. The little 50cc engine is water cooled, but I added an oil cooler. That's helped raise the oil capacity from 0.6 quarts to all of 0.8 quarts. LOL!!! Plus, I have no filter.

I'll probably run the synthetic 10W-40 MC oil that Suzuki recommends, it takes about a quart and a half with filter change. There are plenty of Burgman owners with high miles using the factory OCI...highest I recall seeing was just over 100K on a 400, 179,000 miles on a 650. The AN400 redlines at 9000RPM and is perfectly happy to spin 7000-8500RPM for hours! (Many owners do just that!) These engines are DESIGNED to be revved.

I stopped by the dealer this morning to ask them to show me where the oil filter was. The mechanic there thinks it should be near the oil cooler. I have had the plastic off around the belly of the bike enough to see that it isn't in there near the oil cooler. They were really swamped, so he asked me to call back later once he has a chance to tear into one and tell me for sure. He looked up the parts online and saw just like I said, that the filter isn't listed there. I'd bet my money on there not being one at this point. Especially since the mechanic at the dealer couldn't even point it out. I'll be happy if I'm wrong though.

unfortunately, my dealer is behind on servicing customer bikes/scooters and is unable to research my inquiry (your oil filter question); more likely since they no have Hooligan (lots of Stella 4T shifty's and Buddy's) then they not interested in finding out...[censored] poor of them especially since they just serviced my GZ250 (bad timing to throw me attitude since my Shadow needs work that would have snagged them 4-5 times the money they made on the GZ250 service); my suggestion...call genuine & talk to tech support!

Company Overview
Genuine Scooters LLC manufactures and sells scooters. The company offers 2-stroke and 4-stroke scooters. It serves customers through a network of dealers in the United States. The company was founded in 2002 and is based in Chicago, Illinois.
5400 North Damen Avenue
Chicago, IL 60625
United States
Founded in 2002
Phone:
773-271-8514
Fax:
773-271-5012

Last edited:
I heard back from the dealer today, there is no screw-on type oil filter for the 2014 Hooligan. One good thing is the money I will save over the life of the scooter not buying $12-$15 filters.

Change oil often. If $$$$ is a concern....use cheap name brand conventional. You can usually find deals on oil that is $1-$2/quart. Change every 600-800 miles.

Your first OCI's should be at like 50, 150, 250, and then every 600 after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back