Has anyone ditched personal ownership altogether?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my coworkers made a very astute observation:

"So how do you plan on taking a rental in the bush to go to the gun range and hunting, pardner???"

Freak. REALLY good point. I'm not sure. No cheap car will clear our backroad to the range... Am I gonna spend $120 every time I just want to go sight in a rifle?

Originally Posted By: firemachine69

"So how do you plan on taking a rental in the bush to go to the gun range and hunting, pardner???"

Freak. REALLY good point. I'm not sure. No cheap car will clear our backroad to the range... Am I gonna spend $120 every time I just want to go sight in a rifle?

Sounds like you need to dump that F150 and get a Jeep with a 4.0L, it'll run forever, there's no car payment, can tow a decent trailer, and can take a beating on the trails

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Sounds like you need to dump that F150 and get a Jeep with a 4.0L, it'll run forever, there's no car payment, can tow a decent trailer, and can take a beating on the trails

Until that 4.0 eats its piston skirts. Or the manifold goes. The 4.0 still had its share of issues. A friend had one in a 90's Jeep and it was not "bulletproof" - it had its share of little issues.

The 5.4 will also run forever. Not sure what parts the OP replaced but brakes and shocks are normal wear items on anything.

No payments are a wonderful thing so if it's only 4 to go and the rest of the stuff is normal maintenance I'd say stay right where you are. But if repairs are major things then it may be time to trade.

Not sure if the OP has something like Zipcar where he is but that may be an alternative. IIRC they rent SUV's and that may work for his range trips.

If I lived in the city, I'd probably ditch the car too - you can rent a lot of cars for, say $400/mo + insurance, parking, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08

Until that 4.0 eats its piston skirts. Or the manifold goes. The 4.0 still had its share of issues. A friend had one in a 90's Jeep and it was not "bulletproof" - it had its share of little issues.

The 5.4 will also run forever. Not sure what parts the OP replaced but brakes and shocks are normal wear items on anything.

No payments are a wonderful thing so if it's only 4 to go and the rest of the stuff is normal maintenance I'd say stay right where you are. But if repairs are major things then it may be time to trade.

Not sure if the OP has something like Zipcar where he is but that may be an alternative. IIRC they rent SUV's and that may work for his range trips.

If I lived in the city, I'd probably ditch the car too - you can rent a lot of cars for, say $400/mo + insurance, parking, etc.

Most folks don't consider a trans rebuild at 70k miles "routine maintenance". And frankly, since the rebuild, it shifts rough. Doubt it would even make it another 50k miles. (Aftermarket warranty chose where I got it done... Long story...)
The engine does run like a top. MMmmm, nothing like hearing that 5.4 purr.
smile.gif

I have a card for Car2Go (same thing as Zip Car), just no local service. Basically, I use it for when I'm out of town.

While dumping personal debt right now would be excellent, I get the feeling ultimately I'd end up behind... No win situation, really.
frown.gif

Sometimes I think there is a yearly "value" which can override cost/mile. Meaning, what is it worth to you to have something sitting 24/7 that you could use at moments notice? If you drive extremely little it may be worth a grand or two just for the few jaunts you take in it.

How much does a trans rebuild cost?

Expensive vehicle maintenance? Ford F-150? Why am I not surprised with that combination?

It only gets expensive when you're paying somebody else to turn the wrenches.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Expensive vehicle maintenance? Ford F-150? Why am I not surprised with that combination?

It only gets expensive when you're paying somebody else to turn the wrenches.

Hard to turn wrenches when you've been home maybe six weeks out of the year so far...
wink.gif

You should get an old Tracker. Many were never taken off-road at all, and you can squeeze near 30 mpg on the highway if you like. Tows a little boat fine and no issues with the launches. Don't put any extra insurance on it and ours hasn't been locked for 6-7 years with no problems(other than the lock cylinders siezing...) It's not perfect but parts at the wreckers are common and cheap.

Most folks don't consider a trans rebuild at 70k miles "routine maintenance". And frankly, since the rebuild, it shifts rough. Doubt it would even make it another 50k miles. (Aftermarket warranty chose where I got it done... Long story...)

Yeah - I wouldn't consider that routine maintenance either. Did not know the history. If it's shifting wrong, maybe time to let the shop fix it if it has some type of warranty left?

Do you need an F150? If so, then your choice is simple: keep it.
Do you need a cheaper truck? maybe an older one is sufficient if you only use it once in a while, and not a new truck.
Do you just need a car? a used car even? get a well used Cavalier, Corolla, Civic, and don't worry about ownership cost.

Or just move somewhere that has public transit and sell the car, it's really that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back