Comparing two Mobil1 5w30 synthetic oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Proxyon
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Thank you for the prompt responses, guys.
Here is the deal, I bought this oil for my 2009 Honda Accord (Acura TSX in America), 2.0l gasoline engine. The point is that if I knew it was not fully synthetic I could have gone with Mobil Super 3000 5w40. Now comparing the Mobil1 ESP 5w30 "fully synthetic" with the other Mobil products (and other brands as well) I feel I have paid too much for something that is not worth the money. Correct me if I am wrong.

Where in Europe?
If it is EU, use it with no issues. What is oil change interval on that car?

10 000 kms or one year whatever comes first. That is under normal operating conditions.

You can use ESP with no issues for 10K. What country? That is important bcs of fuel.
Also, what oil is recommended for TSX?
Also, ESP is not only Group III. Do not get stuck on SHC. ESP has mix of base oils including Group V.

Also, ESP is not only Group III. Do not get stuck on SHC. ESP has mix of base oils including Group V.

edy has a point here. Don't get hung up on the whole base oil classification (synthetic vs fake synthetic) because it doesn't mean much for the oil's actual performance. Focus on mfg specs that an oil meets. Do some more research and find out what your Honda calls for. You mentioned 5w-20, but that's just a grade. There is probably some more specs that go with it. Then choose an oil based on that. While those very high end M1 products won't hurt, they may just be unnecessary in your case and you could find a less costly oil that will do the job just fine.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

edy has a point here. Don't get hung up on the whole base oil classification (synthetic vs fake synthetic) because it doesn't mean much for the oil's actual performance. Focus on mfg specs that an oil meets. Do some more research and find out what your Honda calls for. You mentioned 5w-20, but that's just a grade. There is probably some more specs that go with it. Then choose an oil based on that. While those very high end M1 products won't hurt, they may just be unnecessary in your case and you could find a less costly oil that will do the job just fine.

I took some time and went to German Mobil1 web site.
I made assumption that OP's Honda has 2.0 i-VTEC engine and base on Mobil1 recommendation, this oil should be used:
Mobil1 0W30 Fuel Economy

As second option, Mobil recommends Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE, but that is step back from 0W30.
Same oils are recommended for 2.4i engine.

If it is DTEC engine, then use ESP according to Mobil.

I made assumption that OP's Honda has 2.0 i-VTEC engine and base on Mobil1 recommendation, this oil should be used:
Mobil1 0W30 Fuel Economy

As second option, Mobil recommends Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE, but that is step back from 0W30.

Thanks, so basically he needs an ACEA A1/A5 oil, in which case neither the ESP nor the Super 3000 5w-40 that he mentioned in his earlier post should be used.

Mobil1 0W30 Fuel Economy

Thanks, so basically he needs an ACEA A1/A5 oil, in which case neither the ESP nor the Super 3000 5w-40 that he mentioned in his earlier post should be used.

Yeah, I would go with 0W30.

Thank you guys for your detailed answers.
Last question: Since I've already bought the M1 ESP 5w30 oil (though I haven't put it on the engine yet), should I return it for 0w30 or this one time I could go with the ESP?

Thank you guys for your detailed answers.
Last question: Since I've already bought the M1 ESP 5w30 oil (though I haven't put it on the engine yet), should I return it for 0w30 or this one time I could go with the ESP?

There is no damage to use ESP.
However, probably engine will feel sluggish a little, and consumption might go up.
Considering that you bought it on Amazon, I would return it and get 0W30.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
I'm using this Mobil Super 3000 x1 in wife's Punto, not a bad oil but M1 you bought is in a different league. M1 use some PAO in it's base oil even though it isn't full synthetic. If you want cheaper but great oil consider Shell helix ultra in the future.

All M1 badged oils are a blend of base stocks to produce a superior overall base. All M1 badged oils have a base of several formulas, such as Grp3+, PAO, easters and such. Here is a link on esters.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Does_Mobil_1_Contain_Ester_Oil.aspx

Last edited:
Quote:
Hardly. ESP has a lower add pack to protect DPF, so it won't last in service any longer than full SAPS oil. If anything, it'll actually be spent sooner

Really? This is interesting due to the fact the ESP meets the new Ram 1500 Ecodiesel spec, and has to last 10k miles between oil changes..

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:
Hardly. ESP has a lower add pack to protect DPF, so it won't last in service any longer than full SAPS oil. If anything, it'll actually be spent sooner

Really? This is interesting due to the fact the ESP meets the new Ram 1500 Ecodiesel spec, and has to last 10k miles between oil changes..

My response was to the OP who has a gasoline engine. My comment does not apply to diesel engines that use ULSD fuel.

I put the ESP, now I'll see how the engine goes. Still, I am a little concerned, perhaps for not choosing the best oil for a gasoline engine (I've heard about catalyst converter issues using ESP), but lets hope my Accord will like it. Will inform you how it goes with it.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:

My response was to the OP who has a gasoline engine. My comment does not apply to diesel engines that use ULSD fuel.

Yeah, but in EU they are using ULSG.

I put the ESP, now I'll see how the engine goes. Still, I am a little concerned, perhaps for not choosing the best oil for a gasoline engine (I've heard about catalyst converter issues using ESP), but lets hope my Accord will like it. Will inform you how it goes with it.

What kind of issues?
If anything, ESP should be better.

My comment still stands. Weaker add pack = shorter possible OCI. That doesn't meant that ESP can't handle 10K miles in Europe. All it means is that non-ESP full SAPS oil could handle an even longer OCI.

What kind of issues?

Well, I became a little hesitant after some folks here asked me like: "Why did you choose ESP, it is mostly for diesel engines. You have better Mobil1 options for your gasoline engine." Not did they say it is bad for it, but I remained with the impressin that the ESP contains sulphur ingredients which are probably not the best alternative for a gasoline engine. I have the feeling the ESP is still OK, however not the best option.

I remained with the impressin that the ESP contains sulphur ingredients which are probably not the best alternative for a gasoline engine.

You've got it mixed up a little. It's the sulfur in gasoline that were were discussing, not sulfur in oil.

The problem with high sulfur in gasoline is that it can rapidly deplete additives in the oil, and since the ESP oil already starts with a reduced additive level, it may have its additives depleted sooner than a non-ESP (full SAPS) oil. Still, if you're not going to be running super long oil change intervals (like 20K miles), then no worries.

Besides, European fuel generally has very low levels of sulfur these days, so that's even less for you to worry about.

What kind of issues?

Well, I became a little hesitant after some folks here asked me like: "Why did you choose ESP, it is mostly for diesel engines. You have better Mobil1 options for your gasoline engine." Not did they say it is bad for it, but I remained with the impressin that the ESP contains sulphur ingredients which are probably not the best alternative for a gasoline engine. I have the feeling the ESP is still OK, however not the best option.

ESP carries VW504.00 and 507.00 requirements. On is for diesel (507.00) one is for gasoline (504.00).
If you read on back of the bottle you will see that Mobil1 recommends that oil also for VW502.00 (which is requirement for older VW gasoline engines).
ESP has weaker additive pack, but also those additives that it has, are highly sophisticated. It is design to meet all emission standards in the EU, but also provide superb lubrication.
Where you got confused is that this is forum with the U.S. market in mind firstly. Those engines that are now on sale in the EU are also result of tough EU emission standards as well as very expensive gas. Since emission standards are tough, also EU dealt with gas manufacturers, so they are under strict rules what they can sell in the EU.
In the U.S. EPA is not as strict as the EU. Gas has much more sulfur, as well as corn ethanol. When that gas dilutes oil in new direct-injection engines, it simply starts to destroy additives in the oil, it degrades oil.
So in the U.S. drivers are still using old fashioned oils with full additive packs. Diesel is much better, so that is why VW, BMW, Mercedes etc are able to sell their diesel engines here and you can use oils such as ESP in those engines.
I use ESP in my VW CC, but I am still sending samples for lab tests because I am not sure how gas will affect oil. Also, I cut my OCI in half.

My comment still stands. Weaker add pack = shorter possible OCI. That doesn't meant that ESP can't handle 10K miles in Europe. All it means is that non-ESP full SAPS oil could handle an even longer OCI.

It could. Not sure also.
On CC 2.0TSI engine in Germany, OCI is 25K km, using VW 504.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back