Cell Phone, Internet. Minor Addiction or Epidemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's the good thing. As the new (unemployed) generation will live their life in small apartments or their parent's basements attached to screen with fiction movies and never venture out, they will not notice earth overpopulation or resources shortages or even unrest on the streets.

At BITOG we like to mention that people shouldn't tell us how to live our lives. We need the time to formulate how others should live theirs.

Every generation has a bugaboo about "kids these days"

Generally agree, however, with the 'jist' of the OP.

Last edited:
It's not about "telling how others should live their lives".....

It's about "observable evidence".

Imagine if this large of a % of people contracted a disease, like Diabetes. ...oh wait, Type II Diabetes has spiked due to the onslaught of people being sedentary.

No connection of course, huh(?).

A friend's daughter had a slumber party with several girls spending the night. None of them would knock on the door at their arrival, but instead texted the hostess to tell her they were now there. Later he went downstairs to introduce himself and check on them. They were all sitting against the walls, phones in front of their faces, texting each other, not even talking...

I was at a family dinner at a popular local restaurant on a Saturday night. It was also prom night for many of the local high schools. When the young couples sat down for their dinner, they arranged themselves in separate groups of boys and girls and sat around the table texting each other. Some date, huh?

Originally Posted By: Cadenza
A friend's daughter had a slumber party with several girls spending the night. None of them would knock on the door at their arrival, but instead texted the hostess to tell her they were now there. Later he went downstairs to introduce himself and check on them. They were all sitting against the walls, phones in front of their faces, texting each other, not even talking...

I was at a family dinner at a popular local restaurant on a Saturday night. It was also prom night for many of the local high schools. When the young couples sat down for their dinner, they arranged themselves in separate groups of boys and girls and sat around the table texting each other. Some date, huh?

Exactly. That's just 2 examples of what's happening.

I went to pick up my Step-Daughter at College and a Girl texting walked right into the front-end of my full-sized Truck!

My other 15 YO Step-Daughter is at home all day. Doesn't even eat much. ALL she does is sit/lay in her room ALL DAY, EVERY DAY & not say a word. Just the Computer & Cell Phone in her face. She says ALL her friends do this all day.

Now, what would the Doctors & Psychologists call this 30 years ago?

At a local gym a teenage boy was sitting on an exercise machine texting. His father, a friend of mine, told me he was texting his friend who was also in the same gym sitting on another exercise machine upstairs. He never got around to exercising while his father sweated up a storm. His father said he comes with him often but the father has never seen the kid actually exercise. When the kid gets home he switches to a tablet. Every time the father tries to intervene his wife defends the kid. This kid had better have very good healthcare as he grows older.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Full-blown epidemic! The smart phone, facebook, twitter and the rest of it has just made the dumb even dumber and more socially inept.+2

Originally Posted By: Turk

Now, what would the Doctors & Psychologists call this 30 years ago?

They don't care anymore. They're happy to collect the lucre when smitten people fall into their hands.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Full-blown epidemic! The smart phone, facebook, twitter and the rest of it has just made the dumb even dumber and more socially inept.

I agree Trav.

With few exceptions, Kids are not at Parks anymore.

They do not want to experience "real life" anymore; just stay in this "immobilized, vegetative state"!!

Guess how long their life expectancy is going to be??

My nephew is a perfect example. He was 380 lb but getting fatter by the day. He dropped out of college in the first year, it was too much for him.
He works as a cashier sitting down making 10 bucks an hour if that, spends every waking hour on facebook and texting.
A wasted human being and he did it to himself.

albert-einstein-fear-technology-surpass-human-interaction-generation-idiots.jpg

My nephew is a perfect example. He was 380 lb but getting fatter by the day. He dropped out of college in the first year, it was too much for him.
He works as a cashier sitting down making 10 bucks an hour if that, spends every waking hour on facebook and texting.
A wasted human being and he did it to himself.

Not knocking your sibling but did he get a fighting chance earlier in his earlier years?

I have family who is headed in same direction but parents role model was not strong.

As I'm being lumped into the "affected" age bracket
I'm just gonna take this as not personally as possible.

I love how almost any new technology gets the blame when an effect is caused, without any correlation being observed.

Sent from my Droid Maxx.
Now I'm gonna go take 50 selfies, cyber bully some jerks from high school, and not feel bad about it.
/s

Any technology can be overused / misused, etc.
Texting, Smart phones, Facebook, Twitter...Internet, etc, etc.

ALL of these can be used meaningfully or destructively...

It all depends on the individual. Technology itself should NOT to be blamed.
Some people automatically blame ALL people who use social media, smart phones etc as a blanket statement, either because they don't live in an environment or experience situations where they can (or need to) use such things in a meaningful(or any) way, and feel resentment towards even those who are smart enough to use such tools in a good, productive way. I've often see situations where those of us who tend to use technology or social media in a meaningful way get often lumped together with teenagers who abuse smart phone use and base their lives on texts and internet/social media, etc.

It's not that simple. Not all people who use smart phones / internet / social media are dumb.

I remember as teenagers the technology called a telephone got severely overused!!!! My sister would take hours on on our home phone before the advent of callwaiting and caller id.

Just different technology now that is more out in open due to lack of wires.

That all being said I can actually do about 30% of my job on a smartphone with Google Hangout, corporate email, and our project management tools mobile interface.

Try having a professional practice and a few businesses.

You might have a different opinion about the utility of modern handsets.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
At BITOG we like to mention that people shouldn't tell us how to live our lives. We need the time to formulate how others should live theirs.

A profound observation that, I bet, was missed by a great number of readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back