Replacing My Makita Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
This last Christmas my wife gave me the Makita LXT-437 combo kit. It was meant to replace my Bosch 14.4 and 36 volt sets (the tools were in a varying states of slowly dying). I just recently used the Makita's on my rental property installing a new back deck elevated 10 feet. I wasn't impressed with the power at all. In fact, my Milwaukee M12 set gave them a run for their money in everything but battery life. Build quality on the Makita set was lacking, too. Plastic chuck, lower power than expected and, although they outlasted my M12s, the 3.0Ah batteries were a disappointment.

So, I decided I wanted something different. I listed and just sold the set as lightly used on eBay for $240, so I lost about $100 on the set. Not the end of the world.

Now I am looking for something to replace them with. I have previous experience with Bosch. While built like tanks, they seem to be lagging behind somewhat in features and power. I am heavily invested in the Milkwaukee M12 line for light duty use (and something my wife can easily handle), so means I am seriously considering the M18 line for my full size. The M12s have lived up to and exceeded all my expectations and I would buy more in a heartbeat if they were to be stolen today.

So, that leaves me with whether or not to buy M18 and, if so, which set to buy. First off, is there any other brand that you would consider? I'm not a DeWalt fan since they have been cheapened, so I am not even considering the brand.

Next, if I do go with the M18, should I go brushed or brushless? Brushed is where the value is at, but I love the idea of the longevity/power of the brushless set. The brushless M18 brushless drill/driver set is $399 from HD and right now they are including an additional 4.0Ah battery free. The M18 brushed equivalent equivalent also comes with a free battery, but is $120 cheaper.

What to do? In either case I will be buying a bare tool circular saw to the set. So do I go brushed or brushless? What is your opinion? Or should I just go back to my tried and true Bosch?

Thanks!

As I was reading the first couple paragraphs, I was already planning to suggest the M18 Fuel line of tools. Since you already made it there, I think the decision to go brushless might depend on what your uses are.

I know for my light duty usage, I would save the $120 and go brushed.

I have the Makita Model # LCT200W kit, and have gotten a great amount of use from it, and still have the original 1.5 a/h batteries.

When it was about 3 months old I was building a deck, driving 3 1/2" deckmate deck screws with the impact driver, and had a helper with a brand new Milwaukee m18 impact driver.

We literally went through 5 boxes of the 30 dollar boxes of deck screws, and compared the two tools, side by side, over and over. and switched tools back and forth. The Milwaukee won, but just barely, and the 15 minute charge time of the Makita vs the 30 minute of the Milwaukee was a significant factor in which tool was actually able to accomplish more.

I can't say I noticed any degradation of the battery packs over the years. I am miffed that a new set of batteries cost nearly as much as another drill driver kit. I could certainly make use of at least one more battery. It is annoying when I have to swap batteries from drill to driver and back, as I often predrill to prevent splitting and moving the battery is quicker than changing the bit, for those 15 minutes it takes for the battery to charge.

I'm not really a fan of the battery powered circular saws. I used the Milwaukee m18 version plenty, but it only wins on convenience when dragging a cord to the small project is annoying. The price of the smaller blades is ridiculous.

I have old Makita 18V with the 3.0 batteies and have had no problems with any battery, all are originals.
The Milwaukee on the other hand is a nightmare, Batteries failed all over the place with very few recharges on them.

I have the pipe cutter, inspection light and a few other tools. Great tools but i refuse to replace the batteries every other time i use them.
Milwaukee CS is one of the worst i have ever encountered. The batteries were short out of warranty, they basically told me in a nice way to go scratch my behind with a broken bottle.
No goodwill or reduced price just get lost.
They know there is an issue with these batteries but could care less once its out of warranty.

I will never buy their products again.

I have some Hilti stuff and while pricey is one of the best in the business, never an issue with anything. The new Metabo 5.5 amp LI is in this class.
I will stay with Makita and Hilti and a couple of others that are rare in the US but if you can find Metabo or Festool they are great tools with powerful batteries.

Well guys, I pulled the trigger. I purchased reconditioned Bosch tools off CPO.

Combo Kit

Impact Kit

So I got a Brute Tough hammer drill, impact, reciprocating saw, circular saw, light, 4 fat pack batteries and two chargers for $529.98 shipped. I priced out comparable Milwaukee tools and I was looking at about $150 more even for reconditioned.

I know Bosch and I am comfortable with their quality, especially the batteries which I never have had or heard any problems about.

I'll give you guys the full review once they arrive.

UPDATE: I received the refurbished Bosch set that I had ordered. After looking them over and playing around with them a little bit I was underwhelmed. Fit and finish seems so-so, power was adequate but not amazing and the drill was HUGE. Like, there are dedicated hammer drills that are smaller.

All that said, I decided to return the kit. In its place, I ordered the Milwaukee M18 Fuel Tools from CPO. Currently, they are offering kits with a free 4.0 Ah battery, so here is what is on the way:

1 Fuel Hammer Drill & Impact combo with 2 4.0 Ah batteries and a bonus 4.0 Ah battery
1 Fuel Sawzall with 1 4.0 Ah battery and a bonus 4.0 Ah battery
1 Fuel Circular Saw (bare tool)

All these were new (couldn't pass them up for refurbished since they had the bonus battery) and ran me $897 OTD.

I think these are the ones. We'll find out!

Originally Posted By: SF0059
UPDATE: I received the refurbished Bosch set that I had ordered. After looking them over and playing around with them a little bit I was underwhelmed. Fit and finish seems so-so, power was adequate but not amazing and the drill was HUGE. Like, there are dedicated hammer drills that are smaller.

All that said, I decided to return the kit. In its place, I ordered the Milwaukee M18 Fuel Tools from CPO. Currently, they are offering kits with a free 4.0 Ah battery, so here is what is on the way:

1 Fuel Hammer Drill & Impact combo with 2 4.0 Ah batteries and a bonus 4.0 Ah battery
1 Fuel Sawzall with 1 4.0 Ah battery and a bonus 4.0 Ah battery
1 Fuel Circular Saw (bare tool)

All these were new (couldn't pass them up for refurbished since they had the bonus battery) and ran me $897 OTD.

I think these are the ones. We'll find out!

You will not be disappointed with M18 Fuel tools. If you want a monster impact wrench, order the M18 Fuel High Torque 1/2" wrench. I am piecing together my M18 Fuel set on CL.

Originally Posted By: Donald

You will not be disappointed with M18 Fuel tools. If you want a monster impact wrench, order the M18 Fuel High Torque 1/2" wrench. I am piecing together my M18 Fuel set on CL.

I am in the process of renovating our screen in porch and have now used the circular saw, drill and impact. I have most heavily used the sawzall in demolition work and it is AWESOME. Great battery life, too! After two solid days of work all the tools are still going strong on their original charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back