Oil/ Filter recommendation 14 fusion 1.5 ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just purchased a 2014 ford fusion with the 1.5 ecoboost engine. This is my first DI engine and also my first Turbo engine. I am wondering what oil you guys recommend for this engine and also if there is a filter that is any better than the others. I will be putting on roughly 30,000 miles a year. Thank you in advance for your help.

Randy

DI/turbocharged engines have the potential to be hard on oil and also have the challenge of managing intake valve deposits.

Ford's oil specification is met by virtually any 5w/20 oil on the market, be it conventional,synthetic or a blend, so you could go with Motorcraft synthetic blend and the car should be happy.

But as you're on this website, your sights may be set a little higher. A low Noack synthetic would be a good choice for the valve deposit issue. As you are an Amsoil dealer, Amsoil's Signature Series 5w/20 would be a good choice. Beyond that, any of the Mobil1, Pennzoil, et al mass-market synthetics would do the job well. One interesting choice would be Mobil1 Extended Performance 0w/20. Based on the MSDS for this product, iis obtains 60-70% PAO base oils, which should be a good thing. This seems like a recent change though and not a lot of other information is available.

As for filters, Motorcraft would be a great choice.

Ford seems pretty happy with long oil change intervals these days. But the 1.5 EcoBoost is a new engine with limited real-world experience. So I'd be cautious about extended the interval too much.

Since you drive such high mileage a year, I'd choose the best Amsoil available(since you are a dealer) with their SSO 0w30.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick reply! I purchased a 5 year 125,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on the car so i dont want to mess that up. That being said i think the motorcraft filter idea is spot on. They recommend a 5000 mile change interval at ford so i figure with good oil i could extend that out to 7500 maybe even 10000 since its going to get a good 50 miles each way to work.

I am debating on the amsoil or going with something like you said being mainstream like mobil 1 EP. I am a little in the dark about the DI and turbo engines and what they may or may not like for oil so i figured no better place to come than here. I wish i knew more about this little 1.5 so i was better informed.

How would you mess that up exactly?

Originally Posted By: theoctagon
Thank you for the quick reply! I purchased a 5 year 125,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on the car so i dont want to mess that up. That being said i think the motorcraft filter idea is spot on. They recommend a 5000 mile change interval at ford so i figure with good oil i could extend that out to 7500 maybe even 10000 since its going to get a good 50 miles each way to work.

I am debating on the amsoil or going with something like you said being mainstream like mobil 1 EP. I am a little in the dark about the DI and turbo engines and what they may or may not like for oil so i figured no better place to come than here. I wish i knew more about this little 1.5 so i was better informed.

Also you're an Amsoil dealer and you are debating? Debating on what?

If i draw out the oil change intervals too long and they blame an issue on that. I dont know how much these new vehicles can tell a tech just by plugging in.

I'd say to keep your warranty use whatever meets the specs in the manual. For best protection, use a synthetic that meets the requirements. And keep receipts. That way if there are any questions they can't get out of it.

Not too sure on Amsoil but if it meets the specs, it would be OK to use.

If i draw out the oil change intervals too long and they blame an issue on that. I dont know how much these new vehicles can tell a tech just by plugging in.

I'm not a fan of extended oil change intervals (OCI) during the warranty period. I say follow the manufacturer's recommendations, during the warranty period then extend it afterwards (assuming you want to). Because of this, I don't think Amsoil is a good option right now. Not b/c there's anything wrong with the oil, it's an excellent oil. But if you're going to do shorter changes with it to maintain your warranty, then it becomes cost prohibitive.

If you're going to change the oil yourself, I'd say check out Motorcraft semi-synthetic, it'll meet the Ford specs, it's an excellent oil, and it's very reasonably priced. However, if you think you want to up it to a full synthetic, then check out something like Quaker State Ultimate Durability (QSUD). It's an excellent oil that can hold it's own with any of the other brand name synthetics, but it costs a few bucks less.

As for filters, I'd say Wix or Fram Ultra Guard. Excellent filters, will do a great job protecting your engine. I'm also a fan of Purolator PureOne filters, however if you look on this site you'll see they've started having an issue with tears developing in the filter media. So I can't comfortably recommend them until Purolator addresses the issue and it stops occurring.

Hi, I just purchased a 2014 ford fusion with the 1.5 ecoboost engine. This is my first DI engine and also my first Turbo engine. I am wondering what oil you guys recommend for this engine and also if there is a filter that is any better than the others. I will be putting on roughly 30,000 miles a year. Thank you in advance for your help.

Randy

Just use OEM 5W-20 or XLM 5W-20

I really don't see the dilemma here. Great oils, super low prices. No need to extend the OCI for some kind of savings, because the savings are up front. And you get your commission points. You should have contacted me before you became a dealer with somebody else. I could have shown you a bit more.

For filter use the Ford filter for the first 4 or 5 changes, then switch to the Amsoil or Wix or other.

I don't get it either, it's not that hard when you have a good brand at your fingertips.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Randy

Just use OEM 5W-20 or XLM 5W-20

I really don't see the dilemma here. Great oils, super low prices. No need to extend the OCI for some kind of savings, because the savings are up front. And you get your commission points. You should have contacted me before you became a dealer with somebody else. I could have shown you a bit more.

For filter use the Ford filter for the first 4 or 5 changes, then switch to the Amsoil or Wix or other.

Thank you all for helping me out so far. It seems like the general vote is go with amsoil in basically any of the variations and use a motorcraft filter. I get my first change for free from the dealership.

How many miles should i wait until i switch to synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back