Glendora, CA homeowners water conservation efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
It has long been interesting to me that the fastest growing areas of our country are the ones with resources least sufficient to support the growth. Where I am (DFW) is one of those regions. Water is one of those resources.

People don't like shovelling snow or even being out in the rain.

It blows my mind, places like Phoenix. AC is less efficient than heat. Then you have power generators turning heat into electricity to take existing heat and just move it a foot outside one's house... What's the appeal? Who said, let's set up shop here?

I have my own carbon footprint, but I take something, get the heat out of it, done. If I'm lucky it's local and sustainable.

It has long been interesting to me that the fastest growing areas of our country are the ones with resources least sufficient to support the growth. Where I am (DFW) is one of those regions. Water is one of those resources. Others, like infrastructure, are human controlled. While Rick Perry was out there trying to lure more people into this state we couldn't even provide for the ones already here.

I suppose unsustainable growth has probably been a factor in human civilizations as long as they have existed.

Speaking of Las Vegas and Southern California, do a little web search on the condition of Lake Mead. Its current level is similar to that which existed when the Hoover Dam was completed.

Exactly. Really makes a lot of sense that if one is TRULY concerned about the environment and our resources.....why in the world would you CHOOSE to live in an area that has such difficulty providing those resources?
To be clear...I don't feel this way. I think as long as no laws are being broken and you are paying for the water....it's your business. The contradictory nature of government isn't anything new though...certainly not in California for sure.

I do understand the appeal of this area, believe me. Since I have lived here since the 70's I wish it were a bit LESS appealing. Having several of the fastest growing cities in the country is quickly deteriorating the standard of living - to me - and, soon enough it'll be just like any of the other places that grew too fast.

The phrase I coined is "Texas is the next Detroit." It is an exaggeration, but I still think quite possible. But, for the time being it's all about the job market and relatively low cost of living.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Exactly. Really makes a lot of sense that if one is TRULY concerned about the environment and our resources.....why in the world would you CHOOSE to live in an area that has such difficulty providing those resources?
To be clear...I don't feel this way. I think as long as no laws are being broken and you are paying for the water....it's your business. The contradictory nature of government isn't anything new though...certainly not in California for sure.

Nice to see you still do not understand what this thread is about.

Go get them tiger!

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: andrewg

Nice to see you still do not understand what this thread is about.

Go get them tiger!

I understand what the thread is about. I made a comment relevant to the subject matter.
If you insist on badgering and slighting me in threads like this....perhaps you should PM me instead of starting another argument. You really seem to have some issues with me. Better not to muck up the board with your personal vendetta.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Tough crowd, do your job as Governor and get blasted anyway...

If you were knowledgeable about the Texas constitution (that has been amended over 450 times) you would know how little political power the governor has.

Perry is not fit to run anything, but in Texas, he doesn't really run anything. We have had the most growth in low paying jobs and provided support for countless illegal immigrants. Do not admire Texas before you know the facts. The idiots who supported the secession of TexAss were advocating our conversion from a state of the U.S. to a third world country.

I know one fact for sure: the illegal immigrant issue is hardly unique to Texass or any reflection on Rick Perry! One thing I do not do is make up my mind about folks based on media hyperbole or repetitive wisdom ("I heard...").

Here's another: my daughter moved there two years ago. She has an EXTREMELY high paying job in a doctor's office grinding lenses and selling glasses. She has no college education. Yet she will make 70k this year!

Boy, Texass really stinks!

Last edited:
Time will tell. And, I never intimated that Perry was to blame for illegal immigration issues.

I know people who make a lot more money than I do, yet Texas has a very low per capita income. I am not impressed by anecdotes.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
and provided support for countless illegal immigrants.

You said it, not me!

My intention was not to tie that to Rick Perry. Other border states have been saddled with this as well - California, Arizona...

I guess this place is not very opinion friendly. I see it all the time. Say something with any level of passion and you are attacked and others try their hardest to negate your opinion.

In truth, the levels of stupidity and selfishness are probably similar here to any other part of the U.S. It's just natural to talk about what you know.

I type a lot of posts, then think better of it, and don't post them. I should stick with that.

I guess this place is not very opinion friendly. I see it all the time. Say something with any level of passion and you are attacked and others try their hardest to negate your opinion.

In truth, the levels of stupidity and selfishness are probably similar here to any other part of the U.S. It's just natural to talk about what you know.

I type a lot of posts, then think better of it, and don't post them. I should stick with that.

It's sometimes like that. It's okay to have an opinion....we all do. But some folks, even some long time members, will go for blood if they disagree with you. It can get personal and nasty real quick. The worst type is the ones that take what you say...turn it around....then claim THIS is what you said or meant. It's disingenuous to say the least...but a common tactic on this board lately.
Yep...sometimes better to just forget it.
Didn't mean to hijack the thread...back on topic.

I have seen it plenty lately. I do admit, though, I do dis Texas too much. It's really not that bad. I just don't enjoy growth this rapid and all the congestion that comes with it. The are where I live has also lost that "small town" feel that it had years ago.

Peace, guys.

My brother lives in Austin. Texas itself is very nice I understand the growing pains, that being said people are growing to migrate to were a living can be made.

Austin IS quite nice. Funny how the most liberal city in the state is the seat of conservative government.

If it was my lawn and legal I would be watering it, guess that town doesnt have a water shortage. Note it is much cheaper to water the lawn than pay to have it redone next year.

This letter would be happy days to me, would wash my car on the lawn to kill two birds with one stone and conserve some water!

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I believe in drought stricken California you better water your lawn.

http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20140716/glendora-couple-receives-warning-for-having-a-brown-lawn

Or face a fine.

"A threatening letter from the city of Glendora’s code enforcement team saying that her brown lawn could be a “potential public nuisance problem” that may cost her $100-$500 in fines and possible criminal action.

“Despite the water conservation efforts, we wish to remind you that limited watering is still required to keep landscaping looking healthy and green,” read the letter, which said maintaining this appearance is part of keeping Glendora beautiful and keeping up city’s “Pride of the Foothills” image.

The letter, with the city seal and the police department seal, contained three pictures: a dead lawn with a red line through it, a weedy lawn also crossed out and a lush, green lawn with a sprinkler running in the daytime, apparently the positive example."

Nice to see priories are set no matter the cost.

Of course the town has no water storage. The majority of the potable water is supplied by Northern California.

Remember there are four lights.

Quote:
In order to save water in a severe drought, Laura Whitney-Korte reduced watering her lawn to two times a week, turns off the shower to suds up and never leaves the faucet running while brushing her teeth.

So, how many times/week was she watering it before?

Quote:
Laura said she has a plan to cover the dead California crabgrass with plastic sheeting, kill the roots, cover it with mulch and re-seed it with a heartier, less water intensive grass.

Sounds like her "lawn" was crabgrass. Was she really watering her crabgrass 2x/week? Further, if it's already dead, why cover it to kill the roots? After all, it's already dead, right?

Quote:
“Obviously, the right thing to do is not water and observe we are in a drought,” said Michael Korte.

He waters for 20 minutes in four to five spots twice a week. Despite their actions, water usage at the address has gone up slightly, according to the city.

20 minutes?

The above leaves me with the impression they don't understand how to take care of a yard. Not everyone does. It requires more than just putting water on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back