5w-30 in 2014 Camry 2AR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 13Tacoma
I have 1 vehicle that uses 0w20. I wouldn't put anything but 0w20 in it even if I'm hauling heavy stuff.

I'm not sure, but I would think they design the clearances in the engine for a 20 weight oil. Why would you want to force a thicker oil between the bearings and the crank/cam or whatever? Can't you find your moms/daughters/brothers etc. vehicles to use the 5w30 in?
Engines are designed to run thick oil just fine. If they weren't cars would be littered on the side of the road up north during winter.

I'm running 5w-30 in my Toyota with that engine. Nothing to report.

I'll try some 10w60 in my tacoma next go around. I'm in California so everything should be fine. It was built for it.

Darn, nevermind. I just checked the owners manual and it said that 5w20 may be used if 0w20 is not available but should be replaced with 0w20 ASAP.

Last edited:
I believe 0w-20 will protect and lubricate up to a certain temp depending on engine load and etc. Anything pass that the engine will start to wear. With 5w-30, the oil can protect and lubricate past 5w-20's peak temps. I also have a lot of 5w-30 in my stock. if i do get some oil deals then i'm getting 5w-20 for the camry.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
30-grade is fine for your conditions and you will not notice a drop in MPG either.

This is my experience with 10W-30 in a Toyota 2GR-FE. I actually got 1mpg better than the EPA estimate on a long highway trip. Why 10W-30? It's been on the shelf and my last oil change was a "summer" oil change. It smoothed out some of the cold-start noises too.

FWIW, Wikipedia says the 2AR-FE is used in Australia and Mobil 1's Australian website doesn't even list a xW-20 oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bionictony
I believe 0w-20 will protect and lubricate up to a certain temp depending on engine load and etc. Anything pass that the engine will start to wear. With 5w-30, the oil can protect and lubricate past 5w-20's peak temp.

You're right, and the manufacturer has already figured out the maximum temp's under extreme use when an oil grad is recommended. So if a 0W/5W-20 is recommended for year round use there is no reason to use anything heavier as no additional high temp protection will be gained. In fact there are only disadvantages in running a heavier grade including increased start-up wear.

this reminds me of when auto makers first started recommending 5W-30. i was like ..no way! and continued to use 10W-40....didnt have any ill affects as far as i know, and i put a lot of miles one those engines too. but now that im older, and slightly wiser, i think i will stay with the recommended 0W-20. possibly 5W-20 as she gets up in miles. and honestly, im not even sure i will do that. probably just stay with the 0W-20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If this is for the 2014 Camry in your signature, check your owner's manual in the oil recommendation section. My 2011 Camry showed only 0W-20 on the graphic, but if you read the text, it allowed (rather vaguely) a higher grade of oil if you intend to tow or use the car in severe conditions. It didn't define those severe conditions and it didn't specify which higher grades were appropriate.

Here's an example (from a 2010 owner's maunal:

owner-s-manual-for-2010-toyota-camry-page1-3808330.jpg

It specifically says that the use of an oil higher than a "20" grade is okaypreferred (using the words "better suited") if the vehicle is operated at higher speeds or while under higher loads. In other words, it is absolutely safe to use. Again, there should be ZERO concern here using that 5W-30. Toyota even tells you that it's okay to do.

Exactly. In that application what it tells me in the last sentence is 5W30 is better suited for high speed or extreme load situations. So while 0w20 is the preferred grade under most conditions, under high speed or extreme load situations it is not be the best grade. Common sense should come into play if you plan on high speed or high load driving conditions. If 0w20 was the best under all conditions they would have left the last sentence out.

Last edited:
my rx manual doesn't state anything such as the high speed/load driving. only 5W-20 may be used, but replaced with 0W-20 the next oil change.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If this is for the 2014 Camry in your signature, check your owner's manual in the oil recommendation section. My 2011 Camry showed only 0W-20 on the graphic, but if you read the text, it allowed (rather vaguely) a higher grade of oil if you intend to tow or use the car in severe conditions. It didn't define those severe conditions and it didn't specify which higher grades were appropriate.

It specifically says that the use of an oil higher than a "20" grade is okaypreferred (using the words "better suited") if the vehicle is operated at higher speeds or while under higher loads. In other words, it is absolutely safe to use. Again, there should be ZERO concern here using that 5W-30. Toyota even tells you that it's okay to do.

Exactly. In that application what it tells me in the last sentence is 5W30 is better suited for high speed or extreme load situations. So while 0w20 is the preferred grade under most conditions, under high speed or extreme load situations it is not be the best grade. Common sense should come into play if you plan on high speed or high load driving conditions. If 0w20 was the best under all conditions they would have left the last sentence out.

That's your interpretation (through thicker oil is better goggles) of what "may be better suited" means.
What's important is that a thicker oil is not specifically mandated for extreme use consequently one can conclude that there is no lubrication benefit to running a heavier oil.
"Better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds" means just that. The main advantages of a high VI 0W-20 oil have been largely mitigated during high speed driving and therefore other factors such as the rate of oil consumption may make a 30 grade oil more suitable.

This scenerio doesn't really apply hear in NA so give it a rest.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That's your interpretation (through thicker oil is better goggles) of what "may be better suited" means.
What's important is that a thicker oil is not specifically mandated for extreme use consequently one can conclude that there is no lubrication benefit to running a heavier oil.
"Better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds" means just that. The main advantages of a high VI 0W-20 oil have been largely mitigated during high speed driving and therefore other factors such as the rate of oil consumption may make a 30 grade oil more suitable.

This scenerio doesn't really apply hear in NA so give it a rest.

Why did they mention it at all then? If it was one "size fits all" like many vehicles are then there'd be no mention at all. Oh yea you mentioned high speeds, but left out the extreme load part. People in NA don't overload vehicles, and drive them fast to boot? I should give it a rest, maybe you should give it a rest too.
wink.gif

In fact there are only disadvantages in running a heavier grade including increased start-up wear.

How do you back this up ?

Sequence IV doesn't seem to demonstrate the superiority of thinner oils in the prevention of warm-up wear, and in any reasonable application of OTC lubricants, the oil is there and lubricating...takes the same number of engine turns with a positive displacement pump to fill an oil gallery on 20 as it does 30.

The videos of 15W40 choking at -some ridiculous temperature are examples of gross misapplication of oils, not what happens between 20 and 30.

The argument that keeps on giving. If an engine will run xW-20 it'll also run nicely on xW-30, and probably 20w-50 too in reasonable conditions. Until they have oil that has a constant viscosity at all temps there's no other way to engineer the engine.

Wasn't there a post by caterham saying that ford recommends 5w20 in their mustangs and that recommendation doesn't change wether it's driven on the street or beat to [censored] on the track? I think that would qualify as heavy loads. So why would high speeds or heavy loads make a thicker oil better in all cases?

If a 20 weight is the best option for a tracked mustang according to ford, then I would bet it's the best for your Camry according to toyota.

Ford believes that 5W-50 is the best option for a tracked Mustang. That is the recommended viscosity for the GT Track Pack. The standard GT has programming that cuts power when the oil temperatures get too high for the 5W-20. The Track Pack cars have no such programming.

Ed

Ford doesn't "believe" their 5W-50 is best for a tracked Mustang. If the engine management safeties kick in too often the optional oil cooler is what they recommend not a heavier oil.
The fact is you need pretty high oil temp's, something north of 230F before the safeties are activated and most owners will never trigger them including during track day activities as one member has learned.

So Ford do not "believe" that the 5W20 is competent for the entire spectrum of performance that their "stock" engine is capable of producing, and have introduced safeties, limiting output in certain conditions....safeties that are not there on the engines fitted with 50 grade.

Ford doesn't "believe" their 5W-50 is best for a tracked Mustang. If the engine management safeties kick in too often the optional oil cooler is what they recommend not a heavier oil.
The fact is you need pretty high oil temp's, something north of 230F before the safeties are activated and most owners will never trigger them including during track day activities as one member has learned.

This makes sense to me. When I was researching overheating oil temps in a friends Mercedes C63 on track days, no one suggested changing to a thicker oil. The ecu put it into limp mode a few times with 0w40. The recommended oil on this vehicle is already 0w40. All that was recommended was a more efficient oil cooler.

This makes sense to me. When I was researching overheating oil temps in a friends Mercedes C63 on track days, no one suggested changing to a thicker oil. The ecu put it into limp mode a few times with 0w40. The recommended oil on this vehicle is already 0w40. All that was recommended was a more efficient oil cooler.

The track pack GT has the oil cooler and specifies 5W-50. I still don't understand why they specify 5W-50 if they believe 5W-20 is all that is necessary.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett

The track pack GT has the oil cooler and specifies 5W-50. I still don't understand why they specify 5W-50 if they believe 5W-20 is all that is necessary.

Ed

Oh my bad. I stand corrected. I thought they still recommended 5w20 with the oil cooler. Good to know.

5W-30 will be just fine in that engine. I own two vehicles that recommend 5W-20 (Hondas), but I use 5W-30 in both. I perceive no difference in engine response or measured fuel economy. There is a subjective improvement in NVH (Noise/Vibration/Harshness) when using the heavier grade. Conventional 5W-30 shears some anyway. It's truly a non-issue in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
We also prefer 5W30 in my daughter's '06 Mazda 3i/2.0L(purchaced in '09 w/50K miles), which requires 5W20 and lists no other oil spec. We notice no difference in performance or fuel economy(both have been measured) and the engine is noticably smoother & quieter on the 5W30. This is more important to us!
smile.gif

I've done many 0-60 runs with a digital stop watch and there is no significant difference in times. I get the same times(within 1 or 2/10ths of a sec, often quicker times with the 5W30) and all tanks of fuel are measured for MPG. NO DIFF and often better with the 5W30 compared with our baseline stats of the 5W20.

I had used 5W20 in both summer/winter when she first bought the car. Even in the winter time, there seems to be NO difference in the lower winter MPG compared to the 5W20 data which had been used when she first bought this car...lots of data here!

Originally Posted By: strat81
This is my experience with 10W-30 in a Toyota 2GR-FE. I actually got 1mpg better than the EPA estimate on a long highway trip. Why 10W-30? It's been on the shelf and my last oil change was a "summer" oil change. It smoothed out some of the cold-start noises too.

FWIW, Wikipedia says the 2AR-FE is used in Australia and Mobil 1's Australian website doesn't even list a xW-20 oil.

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back