are any radiator caps US made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look for N.O.S. Stant US-made caps on ebay. I've been doing that for when I can't get OEM.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I just received an ACDelco cap I ordered from Rock Auto (P/N 12R9 for the Lumina). The box reads, "Made in Israel".

A good deal of the Motorad product line seems to be sourced from the Holy Land as well nowadays.
Were they bought by an Israeli group/corp.??
21.gif

The few product i have come across over the years that were made in Israel were high quality.

how do you find a listing for denso radiator caps? I have searched, no results, get a lot of Honda applications on e bay.
Denso makes radiators seems they would make caps for Toyotas
thanks

Futaba makes radiator caps, made in Jpan on bay for $13 compared to $6 or so for stant and gates. are they an oem name?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
I change out my radiator cap way more often than once a decade.

Any particular reason? I check them occasionally for deterioration, but I have never had one fail. I replace them when the rubber parts start to deteriorate.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Originally Posted By: Trav
Chances are you cant OE only OEM even from the dealer. I just bought a GM cap from the dealer and got AC Delco made in Mexico. OE was IIRC Delphi and has Made in USA on the box.

Oddly enough, the Motorcraft radiator cap for my Grand Marquis was made in USA, but the factory unit in a Genuine Ford box was made in India.

AC Delco was what I bought for my Equinox and it turned out to be a Motorad made in Isreal. Came in the box and everything.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I'd go with either OEM, Gates or Stant. Not necessarily in that order.

I just received an ACDelco cap I ordered from Rock Auto (P/N 12R9 for the Lumina). The box reads, "Made in Israel".

However, I believe it's defective. The little, spring loaded valve that opens to allow coolant flow back into the radiator from the over flow is just dangling there. No spring tension.

I don't think the cap will hold pressure with the valve like this. If I could only remember where I put my cooling system tester.....

FWIW, I found my tester and the cap does hold its rated pressure (16psi).

I don't know who manufactured this cap. No other markings besides ACDelco and country of origin. The label does have a date code of 2014-06-24 so I doubt that it came from Delphi. GM sold off Delphi way before this date.

Ah-ha! The label does have T16V on it which is a Standard Motorad P/N. However, it does have ACDelco stamped on the cap.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I checked Rockauto

Get one from Toyota. There's no acceptable aftermarket maker for the I4 or V6

----------
toyota, like at a dealer?

If you drive a Japanese car, stay away from Gates or Stant (which is the same).

I recently had a 8 year old Gates cap that failed with the plunger stuck close and over pressure the system, leading to a head gasket leak. It was working fine until it suddenly fail.

I was able to eventually loosen up the plunger and compare it against the OEM / Honda one that I bought as a replacement. The spring is much stiffer on the Gates.

If you ask me last year I'd say Gates or Stant, but today I'd say stay away from them and buy a made in Japan or OEM made anywhere. They are only around $20-25 OEM, and aftermarket in parts store locally is $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back