Oil ingredients displayed on back of bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see the oil manufacturers display the actual ingredients/additive package of the oil such as moly, Boron, Zinc, etc, with numbered amounts displayed on the back of the bottles just like "PQIA" displays on there website.

I know this will never happen due to batch fluctuations and obvious other reasons but for me it would make oil shopping at the store a whole lot more fun.

Exactly! Of course it won't happen, but wouldn't that be a dream. I would pour over the bottles like a wife looking for soluble fiber labels in the grocery aisle after her hubby has a heart scare. They would probably have to add feather chairs like Barnes and Noble have at the end of each aisle.

but thats only the elemental ingredients.

would be too hard.. what about different types of moly and other additives that dont show up on oil analysis.

then we go into company secrets and such.

It would definitely be my dream. I would just have to convince the store manager to put some comfy recliners in the isle or have them move the oil isle across from the food court. Lol....

Quote:
I would like to see the oil manufacturers display the actual ingredients/additive package of the oil such as moly, Boron, Zinc, etc, with numbered amounts displayed on the back of the bottles just like "PQIA" displays on there website.

The exact chemical makeup of the PI package and base oils is confidential and IP.

Even when I use a PI package I have to sign an NDA.

But do you really want something like this,

PI additive package chemical compounds

and what would you do with this information?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be able to tease my wife anymore at the grocery store as she reads and compares every single ingredient label on the back of the products and this is how she will decide which brand to purchase. It drives me nuts.

It may help base my decision of oil choice if I'm able to compare numbers side by side label to label right at the store. I will use zinc as an example, the amount of zinc in product A versus product B may sway my vote especially if I had a vehicle that I felt ran smoother or would require boosted zinc.

Some bottles may say boosted or extra zinc but for me it would be nice to see an actual number amount as some oils that don't advertise extra or boosted zinc can have more.

Not worth the ink for the whole 4 people in the world that who read it and at least 3 of them would not really be knowledgeable enough to properly make a decision.

I would be one of the 3.

eddie

That would not help me much as I buy oil based on a good sale price, a close out, a MIR, fuel rewards savings and such as that. I do however buy some Mobil 1 ESP for my kids cars as I see those cars infrequently these days and put it in for longer service.

Originally Posted By: EddieCairns
Not worth the ink for the whole 4 people in the world that who read it and at least 3 of them would not really be knowledgeable enough to properly make a decision.

I would be one of the 3.

eddie

I still like the thought of it...practical or not. Considering tens of thousands of people that visit this site daily, I bet there would be a whole lot more guys standing in the aisle reading labels. I also bet there would be even less than 3 that were knowledgeable...and I would be on of the less than 3

A lot of those on here that say they only by the best deals would be reading labels too. If deals are all they cared about, they wouldn't post hundreds of times on BITOG. If nothing else, they would want the fodder to come home and post. Again...I would be one of them.
wink.gif

IMO this would be a nightmare for blenders. It may be worth the hassle if the public was concerned enough to learn what the function of each additive, why each additive was chosen to blended into the blend of base oils, and the desired outcome.

Judging by the some of the most hardcore of consumers of lubrication products which are the members of the public that actually register on a oil website and talk about oil. The most popular topics are why brand X is the best. Why brand Y that meets the same OEM recommendations as brand X is inferior.

Thus I conclude the majority of consumers just do not care.

There are too many much more important things to be done every day than to read ingredients on the back of oil containers. Comments I have seen on other web sites about BITOG members being a little anal seems to have some basis in fact. But that is fine, they don't have to visit the site if they don't want to. I enjoy the comments of many members, consider them, and then make up my own mind. I like Denso oil filters no matter the opinion of others. Regards

Don't care about them putting it on bottles, but would like to have more information in the data sheets. Like require all sheets to have uniform information on them. I'd like to know the basestock makeup ratios, mostly out of curiosity.

I'm pretty happy knowing TBN, Noack, Vi, etc. Teost is important too. How it performs is more important than how it gets it's performance in reality. I'd like to have temp vs viscosity data set in a standard format so you can really look at viscosity when comparing two or more oils.

There are too many much more important things to be done every day than to read ingredients on the back of oil containers. Comments I have seen on other web sites about BITOG members being a little anal seems to have some basis in fact. But that is fine, they don't have to visit the site if they don't want to. I enjoy the comments of many members, consider them, and then make up my own mind. I like Denso oil filters no matter the opinion of others. Regards

You mean like food packaging?

Contains: really old dinosaurs (42%)
decomposed plankton (22%)
methane gas (7%)
rotting organic stuff (12%)
heavy metal elements (17%)

crackmeup2.gif

What would that accomplish? This isn't food where you can see potentially undesirable ingredients or preservatives that can negatively affect your body.

What kind of information would you get? Could you tell how a cake will taste just by looking at ingredients? It could have the best ingredients out there and still not be eatable.
Could you tell which car is better suited for your needs just by looking at the parts list?

Same principles apply to oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back