My Oil Choices delivering pizzas

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fav was Ham Mushroom Pineapple and finely diced jalepeno. I had to wear that stupid outfit before.

MMO might do something.
It's highly regarded by some users here.
Give it a chance over some thousands of miles.
You could also consider trying Rislone and Kreen.
Meanwhile, use the least expensive oil you can find and don't worry too much about the grade.
A thicker grade might or might not reduce consumption.
Won't hurt.
Don't even think about a high buck syn in this oil swilling beast.
If you're going to burn oil at least keep it cheap.

Seriously at this rate of consumption....you could probably just replace the filter every 7500 and not worry about draining all the oil....just replace what comes out with the filter. My vote would be walmart synthetic and a good fram filter and only change the filter

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Seriously at this rate of consumption....you could probably just replace the filter every 7500 and not worry about draining all the oil....just replace what comes out with the filter. My vote would be walmart synthetic and a good fram filter and only change the filter

I'm very curious about doing that myself, what with my car's 1qt/2000mi consumption. I'm increasing the oil added between UOAs to try to see what effect it is having.

The down side is I only put on ~6000mi/year, so data will be a long time coming...

Seriously at this rate of consumption....you could probably just replace the filter every 7500 and not worry about draining all the oil....just replace what comes out with the filter.

I read somewhere that in a situation like this, the "lighter" molecules in the oil will burn off first, leaving behind a thicker mixture in the sump.

So even with an oil burner, you still need to do a drain & fill occasionally.

Is there any truth to this?

Well first stick with an oil type longer than 1 change to see a difference.. It takes time for a HM oil to work its magic..

I'd stick with VML and go 7500 between changes and topoff when needed.

Run a good filter like a wix.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Seriously at this rate of consumption....you could probably just replace the filter every 7500 and not worry about draining all the oil....just replace what comes out with the filter.

I read somewhere that in a situation like this, the "lighter" molecules in the oil will burn off first, leaving behind a thicker mixture in the sump.

So even with an oil burner, you still need to do a drain & fill occasionally.

Is there any truth to this?

Another question on the never draining and filling and just changing the filter situation, any issue with increased contamination of particles suspended in the oil that are not getting caught in the filter?

I already changed the PCV valve even though it seemed to be working.

I have over 2000 miles on the current VML, MMO combo. I'll take it to 5000 and drain this will be the 4th drain at that mileage so things should be cleaner. After that I think I will go with QS Defy 10-30 for 7500 If its still burning at the same amount I'll go with the HDEO's.

If I still cant get the consumption down, whatever is on sale.

I've only used different oils as I buy whatever oil change special there is at autozone.

I'm going to change at 5000 miles this run anyway as I'll be due to change my tranny fluid at the same time.

Trust me putting on 100 miles a day gives me a lot of room for experiments.

There's no way Im rebuilding the engine, I bought the car for $2000, has a great aftermarket stereo and gets me A to B quickly, this is the first 4 cylinder I ever had. I'm rather impressed except for the oil burning.

Its worse when I drive hard, but if I don't drive hard other drivers will pass me and make more money then me. Pizza delivery awards speed and efficiency.

I would never not drain old oil on a car I planned on keeping or needed. I would go about 10K OCI's with a good filter on 10W-30/10W-40 oil...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

I would never not drain old oil on a car I planned on keeping or needed. I would go about 10K OCI's with a good filter on 10W-30/10W-40 oil...

I agree, but do you think I can go 10k on a good dino with the type of driving I do?

If I fill with 4 qts of a good synthetic and filter it will be about $35 and every 1250 miles add a qt of on sale conventional would be about $14 so going 10,000 miles like that would be $50.

Now I spend about $25 on a HM oil change and ad 2-3 qts so its $35-40 for 5,000 miles.

So economically the 10k OCI makes sense even with synthetic if I don't need syn or it isn't of benefit I can save more. Once again I'm just worried with the type of driving I do. Though it is an old car I'm not looking at replacing any time soon.

The manual calls for 5-30 or 10-30 and its backed spec'd to 5-20 as well, would 10-40 or the like be to heavy or harm my gas mileage?

Originally Posted By: AvoidTheNoid
I agree, but do you think I can go 10k on a good dino with the type of driving I do?

Yes because you're not going 10k miles on the same 4 quarts of oil. You're going 10k on 13 quarts (initial 4 plus 9 top-ups) over that time. No, it doesn't really 'wear' the oil evenly but what's in the sump constantly getting a 1/4 of it refreshed with new stuff.

Originally Posted By: Lex94
Supertech 15w40 and change oil and filter every 10k.

What he said, maybe with 5W-30 Supertech in the winter, but down south that may not be necessary.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: AvoidTheNoid

Yes because you're not going 10k miles on the same 4 quarts of oil. You're going 10k on 13 quarts (initial 4 plus 9 top-ups) over that time. No, it doesn't really 'wear' the oil evenly but what's in the sump constantly getting a 1/4 of it refreshed with new stuff.

What he said...

I'd consider a syn-blend high mileage oil, I'd go at least 7K though...

I'll take a 12-pack of 5W30 HM and 2 large all-meat pizzas.

Extra sauce please.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I'll take a 12-pack of 5W30 HM and 2 large all-meat pizzas.

Extra sauce please.
smile.gif

LOL, I think the grease from the pizzas would be a nice and slippery oil additive.

Just a quick update, I changed my oil to Quaker State Defy 3 weeks ago and only had to add 1/2 qt at the 1700 mile mark, I'm at 2,100 now. That's a vast improvement, less than half as much burn as before, I'm not saying QS is the cure I mean, I've changed the oil 5 times in the last 6 months, used MMO and Sea Foam, and all the top offs, I'm sure I did a good amount of cleaning. If my consumption stays this low (relatively) I'll stay with Defy and see if it keeps improving or holds steady. I just wish the Shell stations I pass by regularly honored the FRN.

Nice! That is a good improvement. I think I would only do the cleaning additives (Seafoam and MMO) every other oil change and see how that goes with the Defy.

What weight did you use on the Defy? The 10w30 in your sig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back