Yokohama Avid Ascend tire issues (kinda long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
did you replace the strut bearing plate/mount ?

I used Quick Struts. They came assembled and ready to bolt right in.

Originally Posted By: Racerjk
They also said they never have any issues with Monroe struts.

........there's ya problem, I and many other people loathe Monroe suspension parts with a passion. In the Taurus circles, Monroe quick struts are no better then the worn OEM's.
I'd have both front ones warranty replaced.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Originally Posted By: Racerjk
They also said they never have any issues with Monroe struts.

........there's ya problem, I and many other people loathe Monroe suspension parts with a passion. In the Taurus circles, Monroe quick struts are no better then the worn OEM's.
I'd have both front ones warranty replaced.

This is my third set of Monroe struts on various vehicle,and the first two sets were fine. I read good and bad about every brand of strut I could think of on various vehicles.

I think they're toast. I know they're under warranty,but I don't have as much confidence in this particular brand of strut anymore.

Speaking of worn OEM,I do still have my old ones.

Have you looked at your *rear* springs? Wife's 2007 already broke one, was kinda hard to see on the bottom (axle) seat. A pair of MOOGs were only $35 and in stock everywhere... if that says anything.
laugh.gif

Not saying that's your problem, but have a look-see.

Do not beat yourself up too bad. I just sent back 2ea. 215-60-16 Ascends to DTD that were out of round. These tires had less than 1000 miles on them. Danny with DTD was excellent and has sent two new tires with return shipping for the out of round tires. Two different shops tried to balance these tires to no avail. I expected more from a 85K tire.
The sad part is that I read your thread before I purchased these tires. I thought you had a one off event. Now I am not so sure.

*Update*
I learned that I needed a "V" rated tire. These were "H" rated. The local DT dealer sold me 4 V rated yokohama 580. Ride issues solved. Lesson learned if the door label says "V" rated just get the proper rating. He sent back the old tires due to ride issues.

Originally Posted By: BigBird57
*Update*
I learned that I needed a "V" rated tire. These were "H" rated. The local DT dealer sold me 4 V rated yokohama 580. Ride issues solved. Lesson learned if the door label says "V" rated just get the proper rating. He sent back the old tires due to ride issues.

I'm confused.

Was the ride issue a vibration? If so, the speed rating has nothing to do with the vibration.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: BigBird57
*Update*

I'm confused.

Was the ride issue a vibration? If so, the speed rating has nothing to do with the vibration.

Yeah...sounds more like a defective tire, or "operator" error (mounting/balancing)...

Me too. Two of the H rated ascends were deemed out of round. I had the original set mounted privately. After 1000 miles two of these tires would not balance no matter who tried. Call to DTD and they sent two replacement tires. The local DT dealer would not mount the two new H rated tires. He said the new tires had to match the door label rating(08 Accord). The Ascends are available in a V rating but he does not stock the Ascends period. The local dealer has a better experience with the 65,000 mile V rated tire. I tried to save $150. Too much work. The dealer says the online person should have never shipped me H rated tires.
I believe there maybe an issue with the new Ascends with quality control. Two of these tires should have failed the inspection. Lucky me ,two of four tires were bad.

BigBird57,

I'm sorry to hear you've had trouble with your tires. I do feel better that I'm not the only one who has bad experiences with stuff.

I have an update on my troubles. I finally got enough of the rough ride,and I finally found/took the time to call Monroe about my struts. They were great to deal with. They're sending me a new set of struts. I don't know if the struts are causing the rough ride,but they're definitely binding from turn to turn. Something is definitely screwed up there.

BigBird,I have wondered if my tires are out of balance and/or out of round,and especially since I read your post a while back. I'm going to have them checked out,and I hope I can get them road force balanced if they need it. It sounds like getting replacements won't be a problem if I have any issues though.

I'm at about 2k miles or so on the tires now. I want to like them because they were an absolute steal for such a tire with such a good warranty.

I just hate to have to tear out the struts and do it over again. It's not hard,but it's a little time consuming.

Without a doubt get the "road force" balance checked. Then if bad, get them changed out under warranty. I have seen good results with Koni suspension products. Pricey but effective.

I know I live in the same state they're manufactured in,but my replacement struts have arrived already. I called late Friday,and emailed Monroe my proof of purchase. I got an email that the person in charge of that department was out of the office until Monday too. In any event,the struts were at my front door when I got home today. Arkansas is a small state,but still that's pretty awesome.

It seems like they want to make this right so I hope this fixes the problem.

Last edited:
ive got a set of these on my Accord, Love em, soon im going to go have a set put on my Mercury.. My experience with these tires is nothing like yours.. And im guessing your experience is much more the exception than the rule.

Well,I got the replacement struts put back on this weekend. I know something was up with the first set because the car has the higher initial stance that is typical of a strut install. It wasn't like that last time. I think I had duds from the get-go. The installation went smooth also.

I drove the car yesterday,and the binding from turn-to-turn was gone along with the bumping and rough ride! No tire bouncing!They were still a little firmer than stock,but the ride was fine. Drove it to work, home for lunch, and back to work today. Ride was really smooth! I was really happy.

Maybe I'm just overworried,but I started hearing the bumping noise again coming home from work,and the ride seemed rougher akready. Just like last thing everything was fine on one drive,and a problem seemed to develop on the next. This is about 30 miles after the install.

I'm still going to have the tires checked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back