Dumping Used Oil Question......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Maybe try taking it to a recycling center? Our family friend does the recycling for our county and will take just about anything.

He said they get about $1.25 per gallon for used oil too.

You are right. I have a used oil filter & oil business , after filter crush off to the scrap yard they go

Originally Posted By: mjk
Question - do the Auto Parts stores also accept PS and Brake fluid?
How about antifreeze?
Have never tried that before.

Being that brake fluid is water soluble, When I bleed my brakes it gets squirted on the ground. Antifreeze can go in your sink if you are on the city sewer (you couldn't imagine the waste water I would take to the local wastewater place 5,000 gallons at a time. Oil, tranny oil and P/S go to Advance Auto Parts to be recycled.

Got the back of a restaurant and look for used 5 gallon veg oil containers. they make great used oil storage jugs and the openings are big enough to pour the used oil into the recycle tanks.

Mine goes directly in the home heating oil tank. Nothing like "free" heating oil and it's only a gallon now and then, so no harm happens.

Quote:

(you couldn't imagine the waste water I would take to the local wastewater place 5,000 gallons at a time. Oil, tranny oil and P/S go to Advance Auto Parts to be recycled.

Wait, so you transfer waste water and/or oil etc. 5k gallons a time, or just the waste water? What was the waste waters' make-up or mix? And if no to my oil question then how much of the used oil do you transfer at a time? I have a mobile oil change business and am new to these forums but I do know you need a [censored] of an EPA permit/license to store, transfer recycle etc. Currently I only have a transfer permit and I don't hold enough oil above ground to have a need for further licensing but I have looked into flexi-bladders for transfer of mass amounts (up to 5,000 gallons) for a much different recycling business start-up. The only problem so far is I have to transfer small amounts because two of our main freeways (same freeway different sections) pass through Indian tribal land from Albuquerque to my town of Los Lunas... Any ideas or info on this is highly appreciated.

on a side note, earlier in this thread there were talks of signing and showing I.D. for dumping off used oil. In my state I know that higher-up regulations exist due to companies/people off-loading large amounts of oil by distributing it through smaller deposits at various locations and they try to counter act it by taking down drivers license numbers etc. however I believe it to be extremely hard to regulate on that scale and don't believe what is currently in place even works....Like people using fictitious names etc because the company doesn't check ID's and so forth...

Last edited:
I think the ID requirement has more to do with people trying to get rid of toxic PCB's and other substances by mixing them in with the oil. It acts as a deterrent if you know they can find you if they really want to.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
A quick click says you are in construction. Quite a few posts ago, you said you were in law school. I think you are posting just to get attention.

I doubt anyone going to Law School would advocate breaking the law in such a blatant manner as as dumping waste into a river. They may end up in one of the case studies in their own law class...

Ahah, first off, this whole law school thing and then how he said he was in construction in a different post, you notice his name is, like, ridiculously random right? qwerty1234 i think it was. HAS to be a troll. Not to mention how blatantly retarded his post was, it STILL got all of us talking and it is how I found these forums believe it or not. lol. just sayin.

I dropped my used oil at a Walmart Car Center. They did ask for an ID and I just had to sign a sheet. I only drive about 8,000 miles a year and I only change the oil 2X a year. I guess I should stop complaining.

When I used to take my oil and filters to Walmart, it really depended on who was working there in terms of how much and what they would take. Some emplo...er...associates... would take the oil and filters with no issues. Some would only let me give them one jug of oil and one filter. Others would only take the oil and no filters. It bugged me enough to not take it there anymore. According to Earth911, the county I live in has a by-appointment-only drop-off for oil and filters so I'll likely do that next time.

Never, ever dump motor oil! If you are so indifferent to the environment, and to your fellow citizens of your community, then at least do not dump engine fluids, because of the severe penalties.

If this is what it takes to motivate all of us to do the right thing, then keep in mind that penalties for dumping hazardous waste is $10,000 and up to 10 years in a federal prison. Per occurrence.

So if your neighbor gets [censored] that you are playing music too loud on the weekends, and he has watched you dump motor oil in the storm drain twice a year for the last three years, you are in for some serious fines and possible jail time.

I'm no tree hugger. But I love nature. And I love drinking clean, pure water. So, keep those penalties in mind next time you think of screwing up my grandchildren's world.

the one AAP that I usually go to makes you fill out your name address and amount of oil disposed, when I asked the guy why, he said because people dump antifreeze, old gas, transmission fluid and other liquids in there, I said OK.
Ive been to 2 AZ's also and neither made you fill out anything.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Question - do the Auto Parts stores also accept PS and Brake fluid?
How about antifreeze?
Have never tried that before.

I've been told by more than one store that any lubricating fluid (PS, trans, gear oil etc) were ok to mix with the used engine oil.

Don't know about brake fluid (as it is caustic) but for sure don't mix antifreeze with the oil...

37.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stelth
Whatever you do, don't dump it in the storm drain or sewer. Or on the ground, or anywhere else other than somewhere where it will be recycled.

At my local O'Reilly, they want you to sign a paper, I usually just write "Herman Munster" or something like that. They've never looked. Autozone just dumps it in the tank. Recently when everybody's tank was full, someone told me about a local refuse processor that accepts oil. The tank wasn't even attended. I just drove up and dumped my oil. I think that's where I'm going next time.

crackmeup2.gif

I get the feeling that the op is going to dump his oil no matter what he reads on the internet.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I doubt anyone going to Law School would advocate breaking the law in such a blatant manner as as dumping waste into a river.

You obviously hold a far higher opinion of lawyers than I do.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I doubt anyone going to Law School would advocate breaking the law in such a blatant manner as as dumping waste into a river.

You obviously hold a far higher opinion of lawyers than I do.

lol...that's only after they graduate..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back