1996 Civic Engine Rebuild advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: expat
Do you own a Micrometer?

Without one, you are shooting in the dark.

To be honest, what you are doing, the way you are going about it, you are NOT rebuilding an engine, you are throwing some $ at it and hoping for the best.

Results may vary.

You've got that right.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Lol okay, worked with great results the last 5 times, appreciate the the thought though.

No I don't own one myself but I could get my hands on it, wouldn't I need OEM sizes to determine what size to order?
Honda codes for what to order from them, not the actual sizes to order aftermarket.

Prior (inadvertent) success, doesn't mean you know what you're doing and how you arrived there, nor does it guarantee future success.

Sounds like the crank is already UNDERsize, so when you ordered standard bearings (larger), your bearing clearance was too great. This is why you need to know what you're doing- the absolute bare minimum would be to know how to identify the bearing size that is currently installed, so you can order the same size. Better would be to mic the journals so you can KNOW if they are still in the specified size range, that way you can make an accurate determination of what needs to be done.

You can still salvage the situation, but it won't be ideal. Do as Trav suggested and that will get you in the ballpark.

What is the problem that makes you want to rebuild the engine in the first place?

Most of the time the bearing is not worn out if you don't have a sludge up engine, your ring land may need some cleaning, valve stem seal hardened and need to be replaced, and various gasket replaced, that's about it.

Why did you even touch the bearing at all?

I rebuilt my engine by changing the air filter.
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back