Will a .177 pellet gun kill squirrels? Range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
.177 works fine on squirrels, particularly red ones. My cheap old Russian break-barrel will go right through them at 25ft with "Pest Control" pellets.

Black squirrels are a bit harder to take out and I've found and a .22 works better for them. Have you thought about using a .22LR with sub-sonic rounds? A .177 does work however, may just take a few shots.

Any break barrel adult air rifle above 830 FPS will take a squirrel out to 20 yrds. I have a Beeman Webley .177 that has accounted for over 120 tree rats. Use a good 4x scope to reduce aiming error.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
get a 22 cal pellet gun, way more effective due to the larger sectional area of the pellet

this one is almost 1100 fps, will make your squirrel dead real fast

http://www.airgundepot.com/ruger-yukon-air-rifle22-cal.html

Totally agree on a 22 cal, break barrel, spring piston type. Pumps and CO2 cartridges are a PITA. I have not seen the one shown in the quote, but it looks like one I would try for sure.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
both of mine just hit the squirrel,bounce off and he runs away

Chris, either your guns are worn out, or you need armour piercing pellets.
smile.gif

I use a 22 pellet air rifle. A lot more power than .177 and basically same price to buy and shoot. Does the job on squirrels - they are a very tough animal considering how small they are.

Last edited:
I use a .177 with zero problems taking out squirrels. One year I took down 47 of them when we still had walnut trees... them buggers just didn't stop coming. Heck I've even taken out a nuisance skunk with the .177. If you have good aim and a good gun then you shouldn't have any problems.

Actually I just read a really good review in a Varmet Hunting magazine about Ruger's line of single pump airguns.

Very positive review, considering some of those folks have 5 figure rifles to hunt woodchucks with.

I'd try to get a .20 caliber or perhaps .22 caliber, because they will be much more quiet than a .177 pushed above the speed of sound. Also, heavier pellets designed for hunting, typically domed heads instead of pointy or flat, do a better job than lightweight pellets.
Small animals are tougher than you'd think.

Also, you should be able to order heavier hunting pellets online, and have the pellets shipped to your door.
I can't imagine that lead pellets being THAT regulated.
Although you wont find much selection of pellets in a store, there are several websites that specialize in this sort of thing.

Get to know the rules and regulations via forums concerning this. Educate yourself on what level of air rifle you want.

Then make an educated purchase.

I use a BSA Airsporter .22 and a BSA Scorpion .177 both are effective. If you have dogs corpse disposal shouldn't be a problem, just make them a casserole!

Originally Posted By: Recalculating
The Gamo .177 pellet with scope can consistently take a gray tree rat out at 50 yards with proper sighting in of the scope.

As the youngest of ten, squirrel like other wildlife was classified under if you're hungry, you'll eat anything. It also relates to those classy palate tales of wildlife that says, "it's good, tastes just like chicken" I am grateful that if I need to eat something like chicken, it will be chicken. Frog legs come to mind.

As in shooting skills, the maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters. I was told about that over and over again years ago somewhere.

I'll bet I know, because I was told the same thing. The [censored] of it is, they were right!!!

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
get a 22 cal pellet gun, way more effective due to the larger sectional area of the pellet

this one is almost 1100 fps, will make your squirrel dead real fast

http://www.airgundepot.com/ruger-yukon-air-rifle22-cal.html

That looks like a NICE airgun! I still have my old CO2 Crossman I bought in about 1976. Does still hold a charge, but leaks over time. I also still have my old Crossman bb-gun from 1968?, I think. M1 copy? Still shoots well.

My neighbor has a very nice RCW? RWS? Diana I think. Quite heavy and powerfull. He regularly shoots squirrels with it. I killed a few when I discovered they were chewing on my house, eating trim boards + they'd wreck the bird feeders. Need more hawks & owls around as the squirrels have gotten fat, lazy and breed like rats.

A nice, new airgun would be great for low-cost backyard shooting when my nephew comes over.

Bench shooting paper with my Stoger .177, I've found various pellets print differently. Some never pattern consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back