Delvac 1300 cold flow

Status
Not open for further replies.
How could delvac 1300 have a cold temp useage down to -15f? That acording to mobil delvac is formulated for increased start up protection down to -15f.

I had the understanding that all dino 15w40 oil's were aceptable down to 0f. If this is true then were getting in the cold neborhood of the semi-syn 10w30's on the cold flow ratings. According to mobils specs

SAE Grade 15W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 114
cSt @ 100ºC 15.0
CCS, cP, ASTM D 5293 6500 @ -20ºC
MRV, cP, ASTM D 4684 19,000 @ -25ºC
HTHS @ 150ºC, cP, ASTM D4683 4.3
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 137
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.0
Total Base #, mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 10.5
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -30
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 236
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.876

On the elite 15w40 a syn blend you only gain about 11f lower pour point...-36c or -33f.

After seeing this on mobil's site there's really no need to worrie about what grade oil to use in my durmax. Based on where i live.

How is this possable? would that make delvac super gp III, or gp II+IV?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: simplistic
... After seeing this on mobil's site there's really no need to worrie about what grade oil to use in my durmax. Based on where i live.

Your Dmax likley could not care less about what brand or grade you use. They simply are not picky at all; they return excellent wear results, regardless.

As for the lube from Mobil, it's a good quality dino that I would not hesitate to use (and have in the past).

FTR - I use dino 10w-30 Rotella in my Dmax. Through the heat of summers in the Rockies and desert southwest, and the brutal cold we just had this past winter (started it up several days where temps were near -20F). My UOAs always come back fine and perfectly normal; completely "normal" in fact, despite the so called "abuse" they get put through.

The advent of common rail injection, and intake heaters, makes for easier starting. The aid of a thinner lube in the cold can make a difference in allowing for a quicker spin (which means more heat of compression).

While perhaps not ideal for -15F, I'd think a Dmax would survive with no problems on 15w-40 Delvac 1300. Being in TN, you'd have no issues whatsoever with it in your Dmax; if you do, then Hades has indeed frozen over ...

Last edited:
I completly agree that a durmax could care less what grade lube is used as long as it is cj4 spec.

I'm curious as to how delvac 1300 could have such a broad range of allowable temps. I know about the different additives that are used. I also know that the base stock has the greatest effect on pour point.

My question is, what group base stock is mobil using? Would it be gp II+IV, III, or III+? Not that it's a big deal more about just wanting to know.

My LLY Duramax started and ran fine on Delvac 1300 or Delo 400LE during the winter. Just needed to take it easy until the oil pressure started to come down. When I felt guilty in the really cold weather I ran Rotella T6, but got a little more ticking noise after it warmed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back