James Garner died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: sayjac
RIP Bret Maverick, Jim Rockford. A true professional.

For sure.

Without a doubt. RIP.

Demonstrated comedy chops admirably in "Victor Victoria." That was one of my favorite Garner performances along with "Barbarians at the Gate."

If you happen to get the METV channel- they show The Rockford Files (Central Time) at 5 PM Sun, and 11 AM M-F. I've been recording & watching on the DVD/HD recorder & the shows hold up real well even now. Love that gold Firebird too.
thumbsup2.gif

Too bad Pontiac never made a Rockford Edition Firebird.

How sad to hear! I grew up watching him & Rocky & Angel in The Rockford Files. Lots of good memories. They surely don't make shows like RF anymore....

What? No mention of his Firebird and the patented J-turns?

(Plenty of YouTube vids.)

One of my all time favorites!

Watched the rockford files with my dad growing up....

Still one of my favorites shows..

Will be surely missed!
frown.gif

I'd had a feeling he was sick, the last time I saw him being interviewed.

He had a wide range, comedy and drama and action, and the toughest of them all, a mix of the three. Garner was better than almost anybody else at comic exasperation. Plus he was one of the first TV actors, along with Steve McQueen, to jump successfully to movies. He realized Warners was making one heck of a lot of money off their actors in "Maverick" and "77 Sunset Strip" and so forth, while paying even the lead actors peanuts, and he bucked their system and won.

RIP, Mr. Garner. Like your contemporary Bob Culp, I'm sure you'll have a lot of stories to tell in heaven.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Korean war Veteran, Awarded the Purple Heart.

Another of the Greats Gone.

Yep - combat veteran, never talked about it, never bragged about it or sought special status because of it. Quietly did his duty and came home to pursue his career.

He did do a couple of USO tours for the troops in Vietnam...as "Maverick", he was already a big star...

Among his many admirable character traits.

And yeah, I grew up watching the Rockford Files...he really was one of the best actors ever...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Korean war Veteran, Awarded the Purple Heart.

Yep - combat veteran, never talked about it, never bragged about it or sought special status because of it. Quietly did his duty and came home to pursue his career.

Just like you're supposed to. Pretty rare guy, sad to see him gone...

I liked his performance in the movie Grand Prix, an excellent film from the 1960's that is also available in a 50th anniversary edition.

Turner Classic Movies did a nice marathon tribute to him this week. The Americanization of Emily was a fine film.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I liked his performance in the movie Grand Prix, an excellent film from the 1960's that is also available in a 50th anniversary edition.

Turner Classic Movies did a nice marathon tribute to him this week. The Americanization of Emily was a fine film.

His favorite....my favorite Julie Andrews film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back