Fram Ultra's XG9688

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Hello all, I'm a novice to Fram, having used Purolator or OEM most of my driving life. Recently I bought oil for the wifes car that included an XG9688 synthetic oil filter. I've read the multitudes of anti-orange bashing all over the web but wonderd what everyone's opinion of these, metal capped, filters was. They seem pretty sturdy, especially for a 5k mi oci daily driver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Hello all, I'm a novice to Fram, having used Purolator or OEM most of my driving life. Recently I bought oil for the wifes car that included an XG9688 synthetic oil filter. I've read the multitudes of anti-orange bashing all over the web but wonderd what everyone's opinion of these, metal capped, filters was. They seem pretty sturdy, especially for 5k mi oci daily driver.

Do a little reading or search for "Ultra" here. A top quality filter that is very highly regarded here.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: wemay
Hello all, I'm a novice to Fram, having used Purolator or OEM most of my driving life. Recently I bought oil for the wifes car that included an XG9688 synthetic oil filter. I've read the multitudes of anti-orange bashing all over the web but wonderd what everyone's opinion of these, metal capped, filters was. They seem pretty sturdy, especially for 5k mi oci daily driver.

Do a little reading or search for "Ultra" here. A top quality filter that is very highly regarded here.

thumbsup2.gif
Will do

The XG lineup aka Ultra is about the best filter money can buy. I have one on my Buick now.

Fram bashing is still experienced here but it's ridiculous imho since they have stepped up their QC.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The XG lineup aka Ultra is about the best filter money can buy. I have one on my Buick now.

Fram bashing is still experienced here but it's ridiculous imho since they have stepped up their QC.

I am not convinced on the QC. I just bought a Fram XG that had a face covered in dirty grease. The threads also had metal bits, perhaps from some machining process.

Therefore, I won't use Frams. There is no "bashing" here. Just an opinion based on very recent observations.

I would love to have the confidence to use them, since they seem very well, if not otherwise sloppily, built.

Last edited:
I don't care for fram filters, other than the ultra. The ultra seems to be well made , and i would not be afraid to use it.

Fram's Ultra and ToughGuard filters are 2 of the best around. They are in my stash alongside Bosch D+, K&N Performance Gold, P1, etc. Use with great confidence.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

I am not convinced on the QC. I just bought a Fram XG that had a face covered in dirty grease. The threads also had metal bits, perhaps from some machining process.

Therefore, I won't use Frams. There is no "bashing" here. Just an opinion based on very recent observations.

I would love to have the confidence to use them, since they seem very well, if not otherwise sloppily, built.

Every brand of oil filter I've ever bought can be cleaned up better than it comes in the box. For me it's just routine to closely inspect and clean them up before they get installed on the engine.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Every brand of oil filter I've ever bought can be cleaned up better than it comes in the box. For me it's just routine to closely inspect and clean them up before they get installed on the engine.

I've cleaned up lint and pieces of packaging, but never metal shavings. Of course it is routine, but metal shavings shouldn't be. I wish I felt comfortable using them.

Jerrybob,
Hello, I am the tech director at FRAM, we are very concerned about what you found as the tapping plates are washed after the threads are tapped and machine inspected before going to final assembly. Do you have any pictures of what you saw that you could share? My direct email is [email protected]

When I worked in a Harley shop, we had a pallet of filters come in, the first one I grabbed looked dirty, same exact thing you described, I opened 10filters of each type (Harley has 2 filter specs) it was the only one like that. Took it up to the managers attention and he said (that's what happens when a moron grabs the wrong filter,trys it during an oil change, and the store exchanges it )

He later elaborated and said when he owned a Napa franchise the causal (I grabbed the wrong one, I needed this one ) would come about, then the busy staff would say (yeah go grab it ) and the person would put a nasty filter inside a nice box....

I've been at WalMart and saw a motorcraft box with oil sealing from it. I doubt motorcraft fills each filter with oil and sends it out...

i have just recently started using fram toughguards after these Purolator tears lately, ( i have 3 to cut open when i get time) i think these frams will be fine. besides if they aint all i have to do is let motorking know about it if something goes wrong so i aint worried about it. and another thing, how many People working for Purolator are on here concerned about there products? NONE!!! warranties and products are only as good as the people standing behind them! i think motorking and fram are genuinely concerned when they have a failure and that means a lot to me. i will be sticking with fram from now on. and whoever don't like em, don't use em and be happy with what u choose.

Originally Posted By: sevenznuf
i have just recently started using fram toughguards after these Purolator tears lately, ( i have 3 to cut open when i get time) i think these frams will be fine. besides if they aint all i have to do is let motorking know about it if something goes wrong so i aint worried about it. and another thing, how many People working for Purolator are on here concerned about there products? NONE!!! warranties and products are only as good as the people standing behind them! i think motorking and fram are genuinely concerned when they have a failure and that means a lot to me. i will be sticking with fram from now on. and whoever don't like em, don't use em and be happy with what u choose.

banana2.gif
23.gif
36.gif
35.gif
01.gif
01.gif
happy2.gif
34.gif

I really cant agree more, its like brands of vehicles, love them or leave them

I had fiber and media sitting in my filter screen of my motorcycle, I hadn't used a fiber filter for years, means it happened before Leroy came along and added a stainless filter....

stuff happens. everyone wants to pin point a failure

Originally Posted By: sevenznuf
... and another thing, how many People working for Purolator are on here concerned about there products? NONE!!!

Probably true ... but myself and others have contacted Purolator about the media tear issue, and have linked some of these discussion threads here on BITOG for Purolator to read. If Purolator was smart, they would have someone in their engineering department at least reading here once and awhile.

I think it's awesome that Motorking pops in here and shows concern about filters with possible issues, and that Fram wants to find out what's going on. Obviously, that's the first step to fixing an issue and/or improving a product.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Jerrybob,
Hello, I am the tech director at FRAM, we are very concerned about what you found as the tapping plates are washed after the threads are tapped and machine inspected before going to final assembly. Do you have any pictures of what you saw that you could share? My direct email is [email protected]

Unfortunately, I returned them to Advance Auto Parts. I really think the Fram Ultra must be a good product and I plan to run it - maybe this winter when the oil is thicker. I must have gotten a bad one. Thanks for the follow-up. I know you guys care.

Has anyone tired the XG9688 on a Hyundai/Kia, I'm interested in getting this filter but don't want any valvetrain noise.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
Has anyone tired the XG9688 on a Hyundai/Kia, I'm interested in getting this filter but don't want any valvetrain noise.

Yes, on both a '12 Sonata & '13 Sonata, both 2.4L, no issues. I don't think anyone will have an issue with a NON-OEM filter as long as it's an middle/upper tier branded filter. I've also used, WIX, Pureone, Mobil 1, and Amsoil filters, all with no problems. The TSB on the filter issue made no comment as to the brand causing the noise if I recall correctly. I stay away from NO NAME budget filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back