Real mechanics don't use Walmart oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently changed our supplier and now offer filters made by Purolator. As far as real mechanics not using Walmart filters, I still shop the oil and filter isle and my most recent score was a bunch of PH43 Fram orange cans for my Jeep toys for a buck each. I typically service my vehicles at home as I either do not have time at work on my own car or do not have room to bring a toy to work and service it.

BTW, I like to think I know a little bit about motor oil.
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
we pay under $2.00 for filters
$1.87 is what we pay

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
The mechanics will use whatever they can get cheapest.

True in many/most cases, and in the case of the $1.87 filters the COO is China.

And as noted by above, while many mech/shops don't use Puro 'labeled' filters, many use Group 7 or ProMotive which are Purolator 'made for' jobber filters.

And many jobber filters, COO aside, are downsized/consolidated to the smallest size that fits the application.

In summary, what mechs use isn't necessarily an indication of filter superiority, cost generally speaking, is a main consideration.

At my work, (we have a large fleet of vehicles) our mechanic uses Car Quest (Wix) filters. With our commercial account discount and buying them in master packs, they're cheaper than Walmart and they're delivered for free.

Then there's the oil....el cheapo 10W-30 that's delivered in 55 gallon drums and goes in everything, even though most of our fleet consists of Fords that spec 5W-20.

Back in the mid to late 80's I worked in my uncles gas station and tire shop between plant turnarounds and shutdowns. He would buy this brand of filter exclusively. If a special filter was needed for an exotic oil change he would buy WIX or Hastings.

dx0lcg.jpg

I have had my oil changed by someone else exactly once in my adult life. I was on the road, 1200 miles from home. I brought the oil change place the oil and filter.

What made me cringe was when the guy looked at the funnel, and blew the dust out of it, before he used it to put oil in my old 4runner. I keep my fill funnel in a ziplock bag. Once was more than enough......I may be a slob in a couple of ways, but nothing but clean oil goes in my engines.

I think it should be "good" mechanics don't use WalMart oil filters. There are plenty of "real" mechanics who use junk parts.

There is a local mom and pop shop that I use when I can't fix something myself. He always uses quality parts. Wix filters, Castrol oil, and OEM sensors from the dealer. NAPA Premium parts for everything else. It costs a bit more at times, but I know the job is being done right. There is a reason his shop is constantly busy with happy customers.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I'm talking about mechanics that do real engine work.

It may be a speed shop that will slide a bigger cam in your LS2 or maybe a fleet garage servicing 250 vehicles.

Look at their oil filter shelf and see what brands are stacked there.

Mustang shop in the GTA uses Motorcraft filters FWIW. Independant diesel garage locally only uses OEM filters.

Guys in shops are not oil nerds like here
They dont care what filter they use as long as it is new and the cheapest they can get delivered

Real mechanics will have a business account with their preferred supplier(s) and get a discount from said supplier(s), while also having their parts, supplies etc delivered to their place of business. I used to deal a lot with carquest, but if I needed oem ford parts I would use a dealer my friend was part owner of and received a 35% discount on any parts I purchased there. In general you will end up going with whats cheapest unless the customer requests/demands something else.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
What made me cringe was when the guy looked at the funnel, and blew the dust out of it, before he used it to put oil in my old 4runner.

At least he blew the dust out of it...

I've taken to cleaning my fill funnel with WD-40 while I'm waiting for the oil to drain. I could store it in a Ziploc bag, but it'd have to be one of those garment bags that they make, since my funnel is about a foot and a half long.

I think the reasoning is simple. Mechanics buy the cheapest because most people who bring their cars in for an oil change likely dont care about what product is used but are just going through the motions--they changed their oil. Id bet most people wouldnt even know what type of filter is on their car..

My trusted mechanic uses MC filters for my escape. I can buy the same filter at Walmart. *shrugs*

I can get Kendall GT1 synblend 5W20 and MC FL910s from him for $20 including labor and disposal. I don't know how he survives with that but he must get stuff cheap because I can't even buy that oil and filter for $20.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
i usually use napa proselect filters because they are decent and inexpensive.

So does my mechanic.

It's fine with me, and I'm betting that he does it on price, and knowing that NAPA would stand behind the filter, if anything would go wrong.

I avoid “professional” mechanics whenever possible. My latest experience with one is an example of why, and it went as follows.

“The rear brake pads need to be replaced and we want to change the oil”. Since the services were to be “free”, I let them do it. On the way home I smelled hot brake material and found the LR rotor and wheel very hot. Had to drive 45-50 on surface roads the rest of the way home (25 miles) to keep the brake temp down.

Checked the oil the next morning. Nothing on the dip stick. Added a quart. Still nothing on the dip stick. A second quart brought it to between min and max on the dipstick. They obviously put in 4 quarts instead of the 6 quarts the car required.

The oil filter the “professional” used was a Microgard from Oreilly’s. I’ve since replaced it. I cut it open, and it appeared to be of reasonable quality for a low cost filter.

Are there two oil filter markets?

I think there are four. Fleet buyers, Mechanics and Oil Change shops, OEM (manufacturers and Dealers) and Retail/DIY consumers.

Their needs are different. Mechanics don't know what they'll need tomorrow. Dealers will use primarily OEM but like mechanics may get something strange in the bay at any moment. So, there's overlap there. Fleet buyers buy the same thing by the case over and over.

Oil change shops usually look like fleet buyers, buying common stuff in bulk but they also stock a smattering of the unusual stuff. Like mechanics they occasionally have to call out for the unusual.

Auto manufacturers are in a league of their own, but are linked at the hip with their Dealers.

I believe Hastings and Baldwin cater primarily to the fleet buyers.

Are BITOG'ers in the right camp?

Haha you'll probably find BITOG'ers in every camp.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
My trusted mechanic uses MC filters for my escape. I can buy the same filter at Walmart. *shrugs*

My trusted mechanic always uses the OEM filter (MC, Mopar, AC/Delco, etc.) corresponding to the brand. I rarely use my him for regular OCI's, but sometimes a major service requires an oil change (new heads on my V6 for example), or it just happens to be the service interval and it's in the shop for something I can't do myself (and I'm feeling lazy).

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I'm in the right camp but ZeeOSix and 901Memphis are in the wrong camp.
grin2.gif

Sure, anyone using a filter that is only 50% efficiency at 20 microns must be in the "right camp".
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I'm in the right camp but ZeeOSix and 901Memphis are in the wrong camp.
grin2.gif

Sure, anyone using a filter that is only 50% efficiency at 20 microns must be in the "right camp".
wink.gif

The "right" camp is anyone that is for One Filter, One OCI!
28.gif

In our shop(the business I own) our fleet of ford trucks 1-4.2 v6...7-modulars..they all get 10w/30 conventional fleet oil and private label 51372 wix/napa silver type filters..........for the O.P.E we sell and service they all get an OEM filter on it if its still in warranty and a fram or wix private label filter 3614 or 6607 size/cross depending on what it is(briggs/kohler/honda/kubota or kohler diesel)...all the gas engines get the same 10w/30 conventonal fleet oil as the service trucks unless its a kubota or kohler diesel it gets 15w/40 conventional fleet diesel oil......never had any engine related problems with anything.....we are in the south texas heat with all of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DSparks
In our shop(the business I own) our fleet of ford trucks 1-4.2 v6...7-modulars..they all get 10w/30 conventional fleet oil and private label 51372 wix/napa silver type filters..........for the O.P.E we sell and service they all get an OEM filter on it if its still in warranty and a fram or wix private label filter 3614 or 6607 size/cross depending on what it is(briggs/kohler/honda/kubota or kohler diesel)...all the gas engines get the same 10w/30 conventonal fleet oil as the service trucks unless its a kubota or kohler diesel it gets 15w/40 conventional fleet diesel oil......never had any engine related problems with anything.....we are in the south texas heat with all of it.

This filter fits the modular engines but what part # are you using on the 4.2 V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back