Dumping Used Oil Question......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recycle used motor oil at the auto parts stores.

Dump used antifreeze in your sanitary sewer, not the storm sewer or in the yard.

A lot of communities advertise recycling events where you can get rid of almost all household hazardous wastes.

If you dump anything in the yard, it's going to end up in the stormwater system and kill the stuff trying to live in the creek/river/lake/ocean.

USEPA and your State Division of Water have local communities watching for illicit discharges.

If they catch you dumping stuff, it can get nasty with expensive clean up costs and fines.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Wow.

My local AAP, you walk in with the jugs, they ask "oil". When you say "yup", they ask if you know where the tank is and tell you to have at it and "Don't forget to sign the paper". 1/2 the time I do and the other 1/2 I forget.

My AAP is the same, only they did away with the log sheet a year or two ago.

For me, the only hassle is having to take the oil somewhere to dump it. Honestly I can't believe your biggest deterent is having to sign a log. I can sign a log while the oil drains. Now I got to my county's local dump and drain it in thier oil barrel. as mentioned I'm sure you can find a local garage that will happily take it to use in their oil burner.

A quick click says you are in construction. Quite a few posts ago, you said you were in law school. I think you are posting just to get attention.

Last edited:
Any regular Wal-mart accepts used oil. They do ask you to put name and address in log book, no id required, takes 2 minutes max. Note they ask for a name and address, technically it does not have to be my name and address : ) use something like James Shew, 123 Converse Lane - that will work perfect.

Under no circumstances should anyone dump oil in sewer or in ground - 1 gallon of dumped oil can contaminate up to 100,000 gallons of ground water. Generates seriously bad karma - don't do it.

Last edited:
We have oil recycling centers nearby. You just dump it I the igloo tanks an that's that. They even have a small igloo for oil filters and another for various types of batteries...not auto batterie s though.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
A quick click says you are in construction. Quite a few posts ago, you said you were in law school. I think you are posting just to get attention.

Hey no reason you can't work construction and go to law school. Although you would probably be the only guy on the job site who is going to law school.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Our local waste collection center, (aka "dump") has a huge tank with a metal rack for filters. You can carry five gallons per month and they've never asked me to sign anything. Maybe you have the same thing in your neck of the woods.

Yeah, our city has a recycling program exactly like this where I take all my used oil.

I save it for months in my garage and dispose of 6+ jugs all at once.

I've had to sign also and it takes less than 30 seconds. They are just making sure it isn't loaded with antifreeze or some other fluid they can't recycle.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Thanks maybe I will try Walmart Auto Service area. I put the used oil in empty milk gallons so maybe that is why they dislike seeing me hauling in the oil.

Don't let the milt jugs sit around a long time. I did, and one day found a gal of used oil all over my shop floor. Old oil ate thru the plastic. Not sure how long they had been sitting as I had been saving it for a friend to burn in his shop oil heater.

I leave it next to the overhead door at the back of AAP. There's usually a few gallons there from time to time. I've been doing so for a few years now. No one has ever questioned or stopped me, and there are no signs saying not to leave oil there. In fact this thread reminds me its time to make another run to AAP to get rid of more oil.

Construction and law school? Sounds like a combination for somebody who's mobbed up.

Might also explain the unwillingness to show ID and sign the log...

If I disappear, you all know what happened.

My local Dodge store lets me dump it in their tanks, have 4 1000 gallon tank, they use it for heating fuel in the Winter.

kragen and pepboys does not take antifreeze. i don't know why. They said take it to the local fire dept. an autozone opened up 1/2 a mile from my house so i can just walk or bike my oil to dump it now. i mix my used gear oil, atf, engine oil sometimes. no need to sign anything at autozone yet.

ATF, gear oil, and PS fluid can mixed with used engine oil no problem. I don't think you're really supposed to mix brake fluid in there, but I do it. Antifreeze you definitely should NOT mix with oils. The transfer station I take my oil to also has another tank specifically for antifreeze, so I just dump my antifreeze in there.

Maybe try taking it to a recycling center? Our family friend does the recycling for our county and will take just about anything.

He said they get about $1.25 per gallon for used oil too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back