FDA Backs Down In Fight Over Aged Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
They should focus on antibiotics in the meat and poultry.

Hear, hear!

Why they would be upset about a process that has proven safe for thousands of years is beyond me. Maybe someone at the FDA had to justify their continued employment. What a waste.

FDA has a long history of siding with big companies with deep pockets and trying to destroy the little guy, no matter how brilliant idea or product.

Hm, why would that be?... (rhetoric question).

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Hear, hear!

Why they would be upset about a process that has proven safe for thousands of years is beyond me. Maybe someone at the FDA had to justify their continued employment. What a waste.

This!

It is already highly regulated by the FDA for the use and administration of antibiotics, pro-biotics, and several other classes.

My wife and I always have some nice cheese on hand.
Tonight, for example, we'll probably just have wine and cheese, since I happened to have had a large lunch and from the email she sent me my wife did as well.
How can it be that a bunch of government peasants who wouldn't know a good cheese (or wine) if they tried it want to ban a method used in producing finished cheeses for centuries?
What's next?
Let's ban unsanitary natural cork stoppers in wine bottles!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

What's next?
Let's ban unsanitary natural cork stoppers in wine bottles!

Personally I would not miss cork.

Plenty of outstanding wine's out there with no cork.

Last edited:
The FDA statements are not a back-down. They merely kicked the cheese-wheel down the road...

The last paragraph of the article:

"FDA spokesperson Lauren Sucher signaled as much when she stated the agency would “engage with the artisanal cheese-making community to determine whether certain types of cheeses can safely be made by aging them on wooden shelving. ” That sounds like the FDA is planning to make some new regulations, and the engagement will likely come through the notice and comment rule-making process I described here."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back