Vizio Tv Intermittent No Picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom,

I recently had a power surge at my house due to lightning. It knocked out my Vizio TV. The TV was under a buyer's protection plan, and last Thursday, I watched, and even helped, the repairman fix the TV in my house. It was incredibly simple! We removed the back (a lot of screws). Inside were two circuit boards. We replaced the smaller one first, which was the power board. The TV would then come on, but there was no picture. We then replaced the larger board (I don't remember what it was called), and everything was fine. Both boards were very,very,VERY simple to replace (plug and play). It actually took longer to remove the screws, to get the back off, than it did to replace the two boards. The repairman told me that modern TVs are simple and any problem is almost always one of these two boards. He told me that replacing both of these boards is like having a new TV. I then tried to find a good place to buy these circuit boards in case of future problems. I could not find a good place to buy these boards. If you decide to make the repair yourself, and find a good place to purchase these circuit boards, I would appreciate the information. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I'm not angry but a little irritated. This is BITOG, you need to be prepared for a thread to take a left turn on the first reply and maybe not ever acknowledge the original question while going into a death spiral. That's why I don't start many threads here.....The reply's after that were Sharps don't break because my Sharps aren't broken and Sharp and Samsung are good TV's. Right now I don't care about how good your TV is or how bad Vizio might be, I'm hoping to discuss broken and repaired Vizios...

Here! Here! I just experienced this same issue on my post re: Solar HW. Instead of staying on topic, they replied with their own cost of electricity. When I countered, one kid wanted to argue and said go somewhere else. "Why post on BITOG?" Then seconded his immaturity with a homer simpson clip for a reply! Excuse me? WTH? So typical of the clueless 'constant-comment' generation with little if any impulse control. Very frustrating indeed....

It's easier than you think. Check out shopjimmy.com they got about every board for every TV. My plasma went out and I tried to tackle it myself. After getting the back panel off, I was simply amazed at the simplicity of it. It's basically about 4-5 boards all hooked together. Your going to have X and Y sustain boards, logic controller and mother board. Problem is to figure out which one it is. After installing two boards and the problem didn't get fixed, I threw in the towel...wasn't going to chase ghost. The thing about that website, I got to return both of those boards and got a refund, minus a restocking fee which I was OK with that. You got to just look at the logic.....newer TV's are getting cheaper. My 43 inch plasma was replaced with a 42 inch Vizio LCD....370 bucks at walmart. Buying replaced boards aren't that expensive, average about 40-50 each, but at some point you got to wonder where your personal break even point is and after doing copious amounts of research, failure is just going to happen. These TV's aren't like the CRT's we grew up with that lasted forever, just the way things are going. Plus, whose not to say another board would fail not long after I would have fixed it. I lost total confidence in it.

Follow-up:

I removed the back of the tv and removed the backlight control board. I inspected it for burned components and bad solder joints. I've fixed more than one device by resoldering a bad joint but I couldn't find anything wrong by visual inspection.
I reassembled the tv and ordered a replacement board.

The intermittent picture issue has not come back and the replacement board is still sitting on my workbench.

Check out www.shopjimmy.com When I was trying to fix that plasma that I mentioned above, they were very helpful. You can email the tech's and they WILL get back to you. They sent me some boards, TV still didn't work but I sent the boards back to them and they gave me my money back. Lesson learned....get extended warranties on any flat screen or perhaps, don't buy at Wallyworld.

11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back