1996 f150 4.9 recommended preventative maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the replies. Im going to grease those front suspension kingpins. Id almost like to replace the water pump as a preventative measure (its $30) due to the trucks coolant change neglect, but im trying to not go overboard with things.how often do these motors need a valve adjustment?

Originally Posted By: George7941
Never, since the lifters are hydraulic.

Ok thought they might be adjustable due to age of the motor.

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Check hoses and tires. Way to go. Ur truck should run good for another 155k

Tires are new, but need front alignment asap or fronts will be ruined. Hoses appear/feel fine.

Twin I-beam suspensions have limitations on caster and camber adjustments. Sometimes a new adjustment cam needs to be replaced like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szjBfbeY0K8

If the camber and caster can't be brought into range with the current parts, and you know how to DIY suspension work, you can take the alignment report, find the right replacement part, and have the tech align it again. Having a mechanic replace the part is more costly.

One more question on this engine. I picked up a crankcase breather element. The mechanic Im having install the parts doesnt think that this engine has it, but every parts guide says it does.

Where is it located (if anywhere) and is it necessary and or difficult to replace?

Last edited:
It's in the air box with the main air filter. I owned a 95 w/5speed. Just follow the hose that runs from the oil fill cap area, it leads to the air box. The element is held in by a clip.

Originally Posted By: simplistic
It's in the air box with the main air filter. I owned a 95 w/5speed. Just follow the hose that runs from the oil fill cap area, it leads to the air box. The element is held in by a clip.

Thanks, i wasnt sure if it was some nonsense for california emmisions or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back