Castrol 0w40 vs Mobil 1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2KBMW

Not in my area. I'm talking about the jugs not the bottles.

We don't have the jugs in Canada.....

You get the 1L bottles, they are significantly discounted.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
M1 0W-40 has well earned the status of being the benchmark for the grade

Compare to Castrol M1 SN 0W-40 has both a higher VI and HTHSV and has been tested to the nth degree. IMO there are no other OTC 0W-40s that can match it's spec's or performance. Even most expensive specialty oils fall short.

The fact that it can be had for 5 bucks/qt really makes it a no-brainer choice.

Not to mention the 8.8% NOACK to go with those specs
thumbsup2.gif

The Noack spec' of an oil doesn"t concern me much as it has no effect that I can detect, besides no synthetic has a poor Noack.
It is important to the OEMs primarily for emission control reasons and therefore if the oil is on a recommended company list it's Noack is acceptable.

That said do we know the Noack of Castrol 0W-40? I don't think so but since this oil is on certain European car recommended lube lists it's not any higher than 9% anyway and that's probably what it is. Again nothing to distinguish it from any other approved oil.

But one further thing I do not like about about the Castrol 0W-40 vs M1 is it's low AW levels with the exception of ZDDP. So I prefer Mobil's add' pac'. Obviously this isn't a issue with the company oil lists that Castrol is on but then company certifications is just about a minimum requirement.

But one further thing I do not like about about the Castrol 0W-40 vs M1 is it's low AW levels with the exception of ZDDP. So I prefer Mobil's add' pac'.

Do you just add the boron & moly ppm concentrations (VOA) to conclude that? Actually M1 might have an advantage using Infineum's trimer moly anyway.

That said do we know the Noack of Castrol 0W-40? I don't think so but since this oil is on certain European car recommended lube lists it's not any higher than 9% anyway and that's probably what it is. Again nothing to distinguish it from any other approved oil.

I thought the limit was 10%? Assuming we are talking about the Mercedes limit.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yes the Merc limit was at the back of my mind and I think it is 9% IIRC.

It's 10%.

Thanks QP
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back