2015 Outback OCI question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Mobil 1 in all of my Subaru's and changing oil every 10,000 miles with a manufacture recommendation of 7,500 miles. No problems.

The new Outback has switched to 0-20 and 5k OCI. I'd like to continue with the 10k OCI and use Mobil 1 Extended 15k oil as I have been.

Does anyone have any thoughts to share on going 10k instead of 5k with the best Mobil 1?

Thanks!

Jim

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Best reason is to not void your warranty by thinking we know more than the Subaru Engineers. Ed

Well Subaru cannot make up their mind and give different advice in different counties.

In the UK the Turbo Petrol / Gas cars are OCI 10,000 miles.
The non turbo Petrol / Gas cars have an OCI at 12,000 miles.
The diesel cars have an OCI at 12,000.

I assume you have simlar quality oils in the US to what we have in the UK. Therefore unless you Petrol /Gas has high Sulphar levels it seems strange to half the OCI interval.

If your cars is under warranty then you have no choice but if it is OK to run 12k miles on a non turbo car in the UK. It seems a touch conservative to change oil at 6k miles unless you have dirty petrol out there.

My non turbo 2006 Impreza has 10k oil changes and a UOA at 70k miles, it was showing similar wear metal levels to other Subaru cars of that age. It is now over 80k miles with no engine failure.

eddie

Originally Posted By: EddieCairns
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Best reason is to not void your warranty by thinking we know more than the Subaru Engineers. Ed

I assume you have simlar quality oils in the US to what we have in the UK.
Therefore unless you Petrol /Gas has high Sulphar levels it seems strange to half the OCI interval.

it Does. for now. regs for Ultra-Low Sulfur Gasoline are coming, but IIRC are still a year or More down the pipeline.

Sorry, my mistake. It is 6k rather than 5k. My daughters 2014 Legacy with the same engine and 0-20 wt. requirement is every 7.5k OCI which is what prompted my question.

It sounds like the recommendation is to follow manufacture specs.

Jim

Subaru backed off the 7.5K interval to 6K. I'll be sticking with 5K intervals of 0w-20 so it's easy to remember.

Originally Posted By: Rand
what kind of oil for the uk? 0w20?

Standard oil is 5w30 A5/B5 Full Synth.

Or it was when i had my 04 WRX and 04 2.0 sohc Legacy.

I am sure i paid extra for Mobil 1 on the one and only service i had done on the WRX at 1k miles which i am fairly certain was 0w40.

I mostly stuck to 12k miles on the Legacy.

Though when i started to do more town miles i did inferim oil changes, i always used Subaru filters, mostly the black ones but i think dealer had started to use the blue ones.

Engine used a little oil when driven hard, say a long hard trip on the motorway as it revved fairly high as was only a 4speed automatic, i think later dohc 2.0 and the 2.5/3.0 had a 5 speed auto.

A tuned WRX is something i would run thicker oil in. But not a standard NA one.

The suggestion is to follow the manufacturer's recommendation while you're under warranty, so you wont be denied a warranty claim should anything occur. The general consensus is that the oil can go longer than 5k-6k miles, but in the event that something happens under warranty and Subaru asks you for your receipts and documentation, you want to be able to show that you followed their recommended maintenance schedule.

Originally Posted By: sicko
The suggestion is to follow the manufacturer's recommendation while you're under warranty, so you wont be denied a warranty claim should anything occur. The general consensus is that the oil can go longer than 5k-6k miles, but in the event that something happens under warranty and Subaru asks you for your receipts and documentation, you want to be able to show that you followed their recommended maintenance schedule.

+1
I'll be picking up my 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium in three weeks. I plan to do 6K OCs with the Subaru filter and Kendall 0w-20 synthetic.

A former bitoger/Amsoil dealer bought a 2012 Outback when it was new and immediately went with extended OCI's of 12-15k miles. IIRC, he used Amsoil Heavy Duty Diesel or the SS 10W-30. Just make sure that you do uoa's with TBN and that you are covered with all of the necessary documentation that you need for any recourse back to XOM in case of a Powertrain Warranty claim.

Although if you're not following the OEM's OCI, why not just go with M1 EP 5 or 10W-30? Is there much difference in the detergent/dispersant add packs (do you get higher detergent levels with the 30 grades)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back