Battery light comes on while driving, goes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called the alternator shop that rebuilds them, they said to just bring in my core and he has rebuilds already in Stock for that model since it's so popular. 95$.

After i fully charged it i put the battery back in and drove it in to Advance, which isn't far away. The battery light still goes out most of the time at 2,500 RPM. When i got there i pulled out my meter real quick and checked the voltage and it was only showing 11.67v.

Turned the car off and had the guy come out and test the battery, it tested about 600 cranking amps of the rated 770, due to low state of charge about 12.4v. He tested the alternator and said its putting out nothing at idle, so guess thats the culprit.

I asked him for fun about his stores alternators, the reman and the new units, i asked which one he sees coming in more often for warranty issues, he said he really doesn't see any (Yeah Right).

Now that i have confirmed it is the alternator i am not sure what route to take.

I have toooo many choices.

Rebuilt unit local shop $95 - 1 year warranty

AAP Units;
ToughOne Reman - $106 after core+40 off 100 - Lifetime
Tough New unit - $126 after core+40 off 100 - Lifetime
Bosch new unit - $149 after core+40 off 100 - Warranty?

Rockauto -

AC Delco 3212106 reman - $206-39 core
AC Delco 3341834A reman - $165-20 core
AC Delco 3351234 new? - $165
Remy new $127
USA Industries reman? $118
Bosch Reman - $171-60 core

O'Reilly (Can't find any working coupon codes online)

Ultima Reman $146 - Lifetime
Ultima Select new $166 - Lifetime

Autozone

Duralast Gold $145 after 20 off code - Lifetime
Duralast Reman $126 after 20 off code - Lifetime

Decisions decisions?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

...AAP Units;
Tough New unit - $126 after core +40 +50 off 100 - Lifetime
Bosch new unit - $149 after core +40 +50 off 100 - Warranty?....

If you choose AAP, use Code WD29 $50 off 125+ for last two. Not sure about the reman but if it's more than $125 may work too.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
rebuilt one assuming yours is the original one and has not been replaced by the previous owner.

The one on the car looks original and says Delphi, but the only shop that rebuilds them says he just wants my core and already had rebuilts in stock, so he won't actually rebuild my unit, not sure if i will get a Delphi rebuilt or an Autozone rebuilt?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
1) AC Delco
2) Remy
3) Bosch
4) Ultima

In that order...stay away from Autozones garbage.

Of course rock auto has 3 AC Delco and i can't find any difference between them, but 3 different part numbers.
Originally Posted By: sayjac

...AAP Units;
Tough New unit - $126 after core +40 +50 off 100 - Lifetime
Bosch new unit - $149 after core +40 +50 off 100 - Warranty?....

If you choose AAP, use Code WD29 $50 off 125+ for last two. Not sure about the reman but if it's more than $125 may work too.

Thanks for the code i might try to squeak in the AAP Toughone reman which is $146 before the coupon code so it should qualify for the $50 off.

How can we be sure the Autozone alternators are worse than the Ultima or Tough Ones? They are all likely the same thing i imagine.

I think i made my final decision, but not sure.

ToughOne Reman with coupon code is a heck of a value with a lifetime warranty.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/toughone-alternator-remanufactured-105-amps-p8287/19210097-P?navigationPath=L1*14920|L2*14999|L3*15587

$146-50 off coupon code = $96 + Tax after i get my core out of the way, which i will bring in before i buy.

I think the coupon code will only apply to the base price without the core charge. I think I remember that being the way it worked when I bought a reman power steering pump from them.

I have two of AAP's reman alternators on two of my three vehicles and I have not had any issues with them. One is nearly two yeats old and the other about three years old. Maybe I am the exception but I think if it is an easy install then why not.........

Originally Posted By: tnt31
I think the coupon code will only apply to the base price without the core charge. I think I remember that being the way it worked when I bought a reman power steering pump from them.

I have two of AAP's reman alternators on two of my three vehicles and I have not had any issues with them. One is nearly two yeats old and the other about three years old. Maybe I am the exception but I think if it is an easy install then why not.........

That's what i figured, its $146 + $30 Core charge + Tax on the base price? - $50 , either way i should be around $100 after the core since i said i will take the core off on the way to the store.

Actually i think i changed my mind again, i want to try the "New" unit from AAP with the coupon code the ToughOne. It will be $127.99 after the code and i will get $12 back after i return my core since i have to do ship to home with the new unit they don't stock them in store.

Actually i think i changed my mind again, i want to try the "New" unit from AAP with the coupon code the ToughOne. It will be $127.99 after the code and i will get $12 back after i return my core since i have to do ship to home with the new unit they don't stock them in store.

Good choice.
01.gif

I am not sure if there will even be any difference between the new unit and the reman, but hopefully it lasts. Just showing a tracking label from UPS printed today, so it doesn't look like i get to put it on with my only day off on Sunday. Might have to wait til next weekend.

Quote:
Rebuilt unit local shop $95 - 1 year warrantyRebuilt unit local shop $95 - 1 year warranty.

I'd go with a rebuilt one by the local guy every time.

The local guy knows you're local and if you are not satisfied, he knows you can show up and want equity.

The local guy really does not want to see you showing up at his shop for equity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Rebuilt unit local shop $95 - 1 year warrantyRebuilt unit local shop $95 - 1 year warranty.

I'd go with a rebuilt one by the local guy every time.

The local guy knows you're local and if you are not satisfied, he knows you can show up and want equity.

The local guy really does not want to see you showing up at his shop for equity.

I was leaning heavily towards the local shop but with the easy top access to the alternator on my 3.1 v6 I went with the Advance Auto tough one new unit made by Remy for the about the same price with a lifetime warranty instead of local 1 year warranty. The final cost is $123.

Maybe the local rebuild has better internals but if it fails outside the warranty I'm out another $100+

So far so good it's putting out strong voltage even after I got it good and hot. Initially cold voltage was 14.8 and after its hot and idling with ac and radio on its 13.8+

Kind of hard to get good readings on these side post terminals but it's working and obviously the battery light is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back