DIY Upper Intake Cleaning - DI Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
As most here realize , DI engines form intake deposits which traditional gas tank additives can not touch . Therefore , I was curious about newer products such as : 3M's intake cleaning kit or BG's intake cleaning kits for the home DIY upper intake cleaning project ...Do they work ? How effective are they ? * Hyundai wants close to $300 to do a recommended upper intake cleaning service every 30,000 miles - there has to be a less expensive way to maintain a DI engine from forming upper intake deposits !! Your experiences and opinions are appreciated ...

Thanks - The CRC stuff looks promising !!
I don't need the fuel tank treatment the other kits contain (Techron would be good enough for other areas of engine / fuel system cleaning) .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
As most here realize , DI engines form intake deposits which traditional gas tank additives can not touch . Therefore , I was curious about newer products such as : 3M's intake cleaning kit or BG's intake cleaning kits for the home DIY upper intake cleaning project ...Do they work ? How effective are they ? * Hyundai wants close to $300 to do a recommended upper intake cleaning service every 30,000 miles - there has to be a less expensive way to maintain a DI engine from forming upper intake deposits !! Your experiences and opinions are appreciated ...

The early Audi FSI motors had lots of buildup. Most guys go the walnut shell blasting route.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Purely out of curiosity... what is getting deposited in the intake tract?

Volatile oil and fuel byproducts released during process of combustion and turn to carbon under high heat.

Quote:
“Gasoline engines with direct injection of the fuel into the combustion chamber…suffer especially from the problem of the formation of carbon deposits…especially in the neck region of the intake valves.”

The document describes these deposits as a sticky coating of oil and fuel constituents that, once formed, serves as a base for further deposits, creating “a circular process, by which the coating thickness of the carbon deposits continuously increases.”

http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-archive/2011/06/direct-injection-fouls-some-early-adopters.html

ChrisD46

$300 is way too much!! That is a true stealership. My Hyundai is charging $139.99 for a 3 part cleaning. They clean the throttle body and run a can through the vaccuum in the intake and then put an additive in the gas tank as well. I would call them out on that.

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
ChrisD46

$300 is way too much!! That is a true stealership. My Hyundai is charging $139.99 for a 3 part cleaning. They clean the throttle body and run a can through the vaccuum in the intake and then put an additive in the gas tank as well. I would call them out on that.

Local quick lubes do that for $70

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Volatile oil and fuel byproducts released during process of combustion and turn to carbon under high heat.

And this is coming from EGR and/or PCV?

If so, that's just incredibly lousy design...

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
ChrisD46

But is that really what the OP is talking about? To clean the DI intake valves, you need to physically spray them and scrape them. Not sure running a can through the vacuum is going to accomplish this with satisfactory effects.

To clean the DI intake valves, you need to physically spray them and scrape them. Not sure running a can through the vacuum is going to accomplish this with satisfactory effects.

And reading the Edmunds article, I'd also be concerned about chunks of soot making it through the combustion chamber and burning out the cat in any cleaning regimen that depends on chemically stripping the valves with the engine running.

Next year I'll be do for a tune up on the Tacoma, not di. Never done a clean but thinking about using Amsoil power foam.

Sorry for the hijack but I want to do the same on my Accord. Have a can of Mopar which was recommended and this CRC looks promising as well

My problem is, however, that the product needs to be sprayed in with engine warm and running.

If I disconnect intake, the car stalls out.

Any ideas how I can use this/these products without stalling the vehicle?

Thank you

This DI architecture needs more work to get these problems solved. Addition upstream injectors are being added to some engines and this can't be anything other that a direct response to these problems. The push toward this DI stuff is probably a response to smog legislation no matter what the marketing department proposes. It's expensive. If you drive one of the vehicles you probably need to get after the problem from the day you drive off the lot, maybe even confirm the problem with a UOA or two. It appears that you need to get into the intake track upstream from the combustion chamber and include the valves. Chemicals must be used right away to keep up with the problem instead of trying to fix it later. I went through the walnut blast with an Audi even before DI. I don't think I'll be one of those people with a DI engine anytime soon. I can find other ways to help save the earth.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
This DI architecture needs more work to get these problems solved. Addition upstream injectors are being added to some engines and this can't be anything other that a direct response to these problems. The push toward this DI stuff is probably a response to smog legislation no matter what the marketing department proposes.

Sorry, but this has been covered many times before. Additional injectors in the manifold is a tuning aid designed to overcome part throttle cylinder filling issues in some applications. And DI is not automatically a smog benefit, it actually requires very careful execution or it is BAD news for emissions.

Please be cautious with any chemical response. Those who add liquids to their DI engines through the manifold ports for vacuum risk uneven coverage and/or puddling, as modern intakes are not designed to flow anything but air.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
ChrisD46

But is that really what the OP is talking about? To clean the DI intake valves, you need to physically spray them and scrape them. Not sure running a can through the vacuum is going to accomplish this with satisfactory effects.

Correct. As I stated above, the Audi guys had to go the scraping/blasting route. Some tried BG44K and it just wasn't doing much.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
This DI architecture needs more work to get these problems solved. Addition upstream injectors are being added to some engines and this can't be anything other that a direct response to these problems. The push toward this DI stuff is probably a response to smog legislation no matter what the marketing department proposes.

Sorry, but this has been covered many times before. Additional injectors in the manifold is a tuning aid designed to overcome part throttle cylinder filling issues in some applications. And DI is not automatically a smog benefit, it actually requires very careful execution or it is BAD news for emissions.

Please be cautious with any chemical response. Those who add liquids to their DI engines through the manifold ports for vacuum risk uneven coverage and/or puddling, as modern intakes are not designed to flow anything but air.

If done as mist, by intake box (air filter housing) cap, it will flow every area the air is supposed to flow.

Last edited:
For preventative maintenance, I spray a can of intake or carb cleaner thru the intake at a fast idle before every oil change. May not be doing much,but I do get some gray black fluid out the pipes. Sure can't hurt as it is cleaning something. This is a 3.6DI Cadillac CTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back