Brake problem? 08 Saturn Aura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I recently changed out my rear rotors and brake pads (disc brakes).

I've noticed that the driver rear pad has burnished into the rotor quite nicely (score marks are gone). However the passenger rear pad looks like it hasn't burnished into the rotor, the score marks on the new rotor are still there.

Is this normal or do I have a problem? Any info would be great on how to correct this, if it is a problem.

Last edited:
I would say sticky caliper. A rebuilt caliper would correct the issue. $32 for rebuilt to $114 for new at rockauto.com.
Brake flush mandatory after replacing caliper.

Before doing the caliper make sure the pads move equally freely. You shouldn't have to hammer them into position, or to get them out either.

The old pads came out just fine and the old rotor wore normal. When I installed the new pads, they went in easily and everything assembled just fine, actually the driver side gave me more trouble.

I spun the wheel and hit the brakes, the pads are touching the rotor and stopping the wheel, its just not as much pressure as the driver rear I guess.

I'm stumped.

I bled both rear calipers and didn't have a problem getting fluid through. I'll go get a new caliper and break everything down. Thanks for the help, very much appreciated.

WAIT!

If the car stops fine, leave all alone and see how things go. Yes, all brakes(all 4 corners) act slightly different in all vehicles. This is the way it is in all of my vehicles do date.

Don't go by looks, go by brake performance. Drive easy for a while and see how it goes(STOPS).

Well I went ahead and changed the caliper on the pass rear side. Seems to work a lot better than the old caliper. Thanks again for all of the info, and thanks to char for being concerned.
smile.gif

Update: So I replaced the caliper on the pass rear side. New pads and rotors, and I greased the caliper slide pins. Well now its making a noise like a squeaky door hinge, anyone have suggestions on what this could be and how to fix it? It usually only makes the noise when I'm almost to a complete stop, or slowly moving with my brake on the pedal. It doesn't make the noise in reverse. I don't notice any loss in brake performance, its just a terrible noise that I really don't want to hear anymore.

Last edited:
The only thing(s) I would now suggest is looking for rust on the rotor and deffinately buttering the backing plates of the pads with some good brake lube.

What lube did you use on the sliders. I suggest an actual brake products over regular grease(s). And use the same brake lube on the pads backing plates as you use on the sliders. I like PERMATEX Green or Black for the backing plates and sliders.

I just bought some Sil-Glyde for the slider pins only as it's a small tube and a bit expensive. So, I want to spare the Sil-Glyde for the sliders only and keep my other brake lubes for the backing plates.

For "Brake Lubes" in my stash, I have a little remaining of Permatex Black and a new tub of CRC Synthetic Brake Lube(Black) plus, the new Sil-Glyde.

EDIT:

Often what I have found too is...the parking brake shoes under the rotor hats can often make some noise(s) that we often overlook or can't find...unless your P-Brake system uses your existing rear pads as some vehicles do!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back