2013 Accord CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know how to change the oil in one of these things? 2013 Honda Accord with CVT. I see the drain plug and the filler hole just has a plug with no dip-stick. And it's on top, not on the side so you can't fill it till it spills out. How do you tell how much to put in for a drain and refill? Is there a filter to be changed?

And while we're talking about it, how frequent should the oil changes be on this CVT? I have the correct CVT fluid from the dealer.

3.7 qts are required for a change. No serviceable filter that I'm aware of. CVTs are less harsh on fluid, so I'd let it go around 60k before the first change, maybe 30k if you really want to be proactive about it.

I know people have complained about the same thing on other manufacturer's CVT systems. Other manufacturers seem to be pushing people to take it to the dealership so they can use some system that measures the amount coming out and replaces the exact same amount.

I don't recall the exact details of it b/c I don't have a CVT system, but I remember people complaining about how un-friendly it was to the home DIY'er.

Only 17K on mine so I haven't had the CVT done yet; however, I just had the TSB done on the transmission due to it "juddering" and the fluid had to be done then.

My Altima calls for 50K drains and I've had two done so far. A much smoother CVT from the git-go.

I'm approaching 60k on the CVT fluid in my Kizashi...dealer wants $270 to perform a full-flush and refill with the factory Suzuki (Shell Green) stuff in there. I was also considering just a couple of drain and fills with Eneos or Redline CVT fluid but have also heard about CVT sensitivity to fill levels. I haven't decided how to proceed yet but am leaning to doing my own fill and drain (car has a dipstick and drain plug).

My Nissan dealer charged about $150 fro CVT service but it was an exchange not a full flush. They also check the fluid with a Consult III to see how much life is left in the fluid.

Originally Posted By: LiquidSchwartz
My Nissan dealer charged about $150 fro CVT service but it was an exchange not a full flush. They also check the fluid with a Consult III to see how much life is left in the fluid.

Mine charges $189 for a drain/refill - which is 4-5 qt for most models.

There's no way they're doing a fluid exchange (same thing as a full flush) for $150; the fluid is $15/qt.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: LiquidSchwartz

Mine charges $189 for a drain/refill - which is 4-5 qt for most models.

There's no way they're doing a fluid exchange (same thing as a full flush) for $150; the fluid is $15/qt.

You are more correct Critic, that's what I get for going off of memory haha. I just checked my records and it was $197.36 for an exchange with 5 qts of NS-2 and labor.

Excellent link! Thanks Le_Bow_Ski! I see the check plug bolt just like the picture shows. This is exactly what I was unable to find on the internet. Thanks again for the help!
grin.gif

I just had my '13 CVT fluid changed at the dealer for around $100, I was charged 4 bottles of fluids, and washers and labor.

I don't notice anything different, but it's good to know the car now has fresh fluid.

Well, I changed the CVT fluid today in the 2013 Accord at 11k miles. The old stuff came out quite a bit darker than the new fluid going in (Honda HCF-2)but wasn't black by any means. Sort of a dark golden brown while the new fluid was very light colored. The magnetic plug had a fair amount of stuff on it but that's probably typical I would think on a CVT - that chain sliding up and down the pulleys has got to put off some metal! The new fluid sure is thin. The refill took 3.7 qts so I have enough left to maybe send in for a VOA. Kinda curious what they put in this stuff. Very distinctive smell to it...

Initial driving impression is the CVT seems a bit smoother. These Honda CVT's can get a little jerky/pulsing at times and that seems to be improved a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back