Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a counter to the negativity, a positive review...

My 80k mile (129k km) GTI hasn't given me any issues. I have spent $0 in repairs over the four years and nine months of ownership.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
That's why you buy a Dodge Dart instead of some motorized sauerkraut bowl.

This is post of the year!
Or you want to say: That is why you buy FIAT Bravo which is sold in the U.S. as Dodge Dart?

Originally Posted By: Mykl
As a counter to the negativity, a positive review...

My 80k mile (129k km) GTI hasn't given me any issues. I have spent $0 in repairs over the four years and nine months of ownership.

I have 2010 CC with 2.0T never had ANY issues.
I used GC, M1 0W40, Castrol 5W40 (I got it when bought car) and now M1 5W30 ESP.
Engine did not burn drop of any of those oils, and I do drive very hard.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Olas
Maybe the owners manual doesn't mention 'cool-down' because it's obvious? I knew about the need to let a turbo cool down before switching the engine off before I even started my driving lessons..some things are just obvious (IMO!) like checking tyre pressures and fluid levels and bulbs each week.

Good question. It should be obvious, and regardless of the cooling system, I would still give the thing an opportunity to cool down, just because that's what I've always done. Maybe VW/Audi just thinks it's too much of a hassle for customers and will turn them away from their turbo offerings.

On the 2.0T FSI engine, there is a built in turbo timer of sorts...it runs the coolant in reverse with an electric water pump to allow the turbo to cool down if it is too hot. I seriously doubt they would have dropped this from the newer models.

VW doesn't exactly encourage people to maintain their own cars. Whenever there is a choice between a standard fastener or a uncommon one, they go for the uncommon. When you open the hood all you see is a gigantic plastic cover. You have to remove a splash guard just to change the (of course "special") oil. More trouble than they are worth in my humble opinion.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
VW doesn't exactly encourage people to maintain their own cars. Whenever there is a choice between a standard fastener or a uncommon one, they go for the uncommon. When you open the hood all you see is a gigantic plastic cover. You have to remove a splash guard just to change the (of course "special") oil. More trouble than they are worth in my humble opinion.

Well, I always maintained my cars, and VW is very easy to maintain.
Long story short, they did not bankrupt like some companies, and I think there is a reason for that.
When it comes to "special" oil, it is not special, it is just thicker (generally better) then what you have to use in Stratus for example (which is not some reference).
Splash guard is very useful, not because it prevents water, but small rocks damaging wiring, hoses etc.
Standard or uncommon fastener. Well considering that almost all innovation in auto technology comes from Europe, I would say they are doing something right.

They want to sell you another car so for them, they've designed it perfectly
wink.gif

There are many things that can wear a turbo excessively, I suspect most of the wear took place due to the driver not being gentle on it on the warm up phase and being on the wrong service plan for it's use.

Longlife servicing is for gentle, low load, long distance driving according to the VW website, if you use the car for spirited driving, short journeys or towing then fixed interval servicing is the plan you should be on.

This of course is not explained by the cretin salesman who just wants his commission.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Altough that may well be in US,Euro Fords are far better drivers cars then VW.New Mondeo,Focus even a Fiesta drives great.This cars are engineered in UK and Brits know thing or two about handling.Pre Focus cars where disaster except Cosworth cars.VAG does have edge in engines though.

We will see how that will go now when they departed with Mazda!

I hate to point out that it was Mazda getting input and borrowing platforms from Ford not the other way round really.

Mazda are minority player in the UK.

New 6 looks nice enough but not cheap for what it is.

The fact is many high mileage drivers that use a car for work have moved over to Ford products and strangely Skodas which seem to suffer from less issues than VW despite sharing platforms, perhaps the difference is the fact they tend to get new tech a year or so later than VW.

There is no excuse for 2.0tdi sumps cracking in normal use or under engineered oil pumps in this day and age.

And i ran a garage back in the early 90's and we did very well out of "bulletproof" VWs thank you very much.

I haven't even mentioned suspension bushes on Passats and Golfs yet.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Altough that may well be in US,Euro Fords are far better drivers cars then VW.New Mondeo,Focus even a Fiesta drives great.This cars are engineered in UK and Brits know thing or two about handling.Pre Focus cars where disaster except Cosworth cars.VAG does have edge in engines though.

We will see how that will go now when they departed with Mazda!

I hate to point out that it was Mazda getting input and borrowing platforms from Ford not the other way round really.

The fact is many high mileage drivers that use a car for work have moved over to Ford products and strangely Skodas which seem to suffer from less issues than VW despite sharing platforms, perhaps the difference is the fact they tend to get new tech a year or so later than VW.

There is no excuse for 2.0tdi sumps cracking in normal use or under engineered oil pumps in this day and age.

And i ran a garage back in the early 90's and we did very well out of "bulletproof" VWs thank you very much.

2.0tdi PD is one of the worst engines that have been produced by VW. Why they produced 2.0tdi PD I have no idea, when 1.9tdi PD proved to have been able to deliver outstanding power even with 8V head.
As far as 90's. we drove VW diesels during Bosnian war bcs they could run on oil that cools electrical stations. Opel and Ford not only that they could not run on the oil, but bcs of the rusting, we were scared to take them off the road, which we usually had to.
So please, Ford made huge leap forward in recent years, but 90's?

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Mazda got the tribute and the truck from ford. That was it. The fusion was a Mazda6 when ford got it. Mazda engineered Ford's 4-cyl duratec lineup. You are quite wrong about Mazda/ford relationship. WHEN they were working together, Ford provided the money and facilities and Mazda provided the engineering.

Whole Mazda range is based upon different Ford chassis. Duratec/ zetec engine was developt by Yamaha.

Nope. Ford's CD3 platform is based on Mazda's G series. That is a Mazda designed chassis that is used in several Ford vehicles. I believe the CX-7 also has its own Mazda chassis along with the Miata.

Not that it matters because Mazda doesn't use Ford for any current chassis other than possibly the Mazda5 and the CX-9, but both of those could be made by Mazda in next model year.

And the 4 cylinder duratecs since 2003 have been Mazda engineered/designed MZR engines, not Ford, yamaha or whoever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MZR_engine

Last edited:
Zetec engine was developt by Yamaha in the 90s. Both mk1 and mk2 Euro Focus have Ford chassis c170 i c1. I'm not familiar with NA models so there might be difference though.

Last edited:

Zetec engine was developt by Yamaha in the 90s. Both mk1 and mk2 Euro Focus have Ford chassis c170 i c1. I'm not familiar with NA models so there might be difference though.

that is why we are talking duratec, not zetec.

Originally Posted By: Mathson
Once again I read an article of 60 000km endurance test from a local automagazine in Finland. Car in question was a new Golf VII 1.4 TSI ACT. After 60 000km they strip down the engine and found out that turbocharger was worn out. They reckon it will last 100 000km with luck. In the article they came to a conclusion that longlife OCIs just dont protect the engine with 504/507 oils. There were significant signs of oil film failing under extreme heat and pressure. A vehicle was serviced and maintained according to manufacturer's guidelines during the test.

This just confirms my opinion about VW Group. They just don't make good products any more.

Hardly a conclusive study now is it. I've seen BMW, Toyota, GM and other manufacturers fail in shorter time frames, doesn't mean they are [censored], more often than not its a unit specific fault.

I have a G7 R and Gti and G5 Gti, and I drive them all rather hard...but I also run them up and down as well as use top oil changed more frequently than required...and have had zero failure.

I haven't read the whole thread - but there was an image posted by APR on VWVortex that show why the new VW turbo's are failing. The turbo shaft gets narrower on one side. This narrow point is a weak point and breaks. Excessive boost on tuned car doesn't help, but they're failing often enough on stock cars VW is on it's 7th revision and STILL having problems.

Last edited:
Another bit of info about the new ea888 gen 3 turbos:

Thermal management is key to helping ensure maximum efficiency. The thermostat keeps coolant temperature between 185 and 225 degrees Fahrenheit, influenced by load and engine speed, to achieve the ideal balance between minimal internal friction and temperature management. By directing exhaust gases through the water-cooled exhaust manifold, they are approximately 160 degrees cooler by the time they reach the turbocharger.

http://media.vw.com/release/550/

I disagree, vw's are excellent cars but the ridiculously long OCI's tend to kill the delicate parts of the engines (turbos). This car only had 2 oil changes according to the long life service schedule. The turbo failure has everything to do with the OCI and nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

BMW has the same problem, interestingly they have recently reduced their OCI because of thousands of costly engine replacements.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904184

I own a 1998 tdi with the original turbo, I change the oil every 6 months or 5000 miles (half the recommended 1 year/10000 mile recommendation)

All manufacturers are trying to make their cars "maintenance free", examples like the vw turbo failure are the consequences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back