Filter Stash Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two filters in my stash that might be weak under high pressure. One is a PureOne, for the filter tear issues we know about. The other is an old STP E-Core with a plastic cage. I think these filters can be serviceable within lower expectations than before though. I think I will use both somewhere down the road for winter oil changes, with oil of no more than 5W-30 in viscosity. I will not stretch either past about 5000 miles, about the same as an Orange Can. Keeping an eye on the oil color ought to tell me if the PureOne is failing to catch particles. You need to note that a tiny rip will not conduct all the oil and some will still pass through the filter media. The media will still trap particulate matter, but only up to a point. Once the media is laden with matter, THEN more and more of the flow will travel through the rip. With the PureOne, about 5000 miles is the most I will trust it for, whereas 10,000 miles was the past expectation before this rip issue came about.

I'd run any perceived weak filter in the summer. Figure the thicker oil of cold starts would do more damage.

Since it's not a big deal, all oil filters should be made with big tears in the media.
crazy.gif

Sarcasm of course!

I still have an older blue colored PureOne filter that I will use next month.

Clean fresh oil with a PureOne will be OK with me. I will no longer buy Purolator oil filters.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over a $5 filter. Throw the PureOne in the trash. I will never use another Purolator product for they have a severe lack of caring for the customer. They know and deny this issue.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I wouldn't lose any sleep over a $5 filter. Throw the PureOne in the trash. I will never use another Purolator product for they have a severe lack of caring for the customer. They know and deny this issue.

Can you please post the link to where they have recognized there is an issue and that they are not going to do anything about it. That way more of us will be able to get the facts as well and not have to search the forum for the link. It will help us to contact them in hope that they fix the issue. Thanks.

It's not just one link where this has been proven. There have been countless reports of people (myself included) contacting Purolator, getting a fairly quick response to send the filter in, then met with silence despite constant followups.

Personally I would not trust ANY Purolator product anymore. If you absolutely desire to use up remaining filters I would NOT trust them past 5000 km (3000 miles).

Are we allowed to publicly post the contact information of the Purolator reps that we have been in contact with? This silence is completely unacceptable.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
It will help us to contact them in hope that they fix the issue. Thanks.

Don't waste your time. Plenty of people here have contacted Purolator about the media tearing issue. They know very well about it. Are they fixing the problem? ... let's hope so. But if they don't they are just shooting themselves in the foot.

Purolator has gone into cricket mode ... very silent on the whole debacle.

Originally Posted By: nobb
It's not just one link where this has been proven. There have been countless reports of people (myself included) contacting Purolator, getting a fairly quick response to send the filter in, then met with silence despite constant followups.

Personally I would not trust ANY Purolator product anymore. If you absolutely desire to use up remaining filters I would NOT trust them past 5000 km (3000 miles).

Are we allowed to publicly post the contact information of the Purolator reps that we have been in contact with? This silence is completely unacceptable.

I have to agree that the silence from purolator is unacceptable.
We now have a very large collection of pics of puro filters with torn media.
Considering there are 50000 members here,and only a small percentage actually post,and of that small percentage a small percentage use puro filters and of those filters even less are cut open,yet most show tears.
A stat analyst can extrapolate the data but considering we are just a tiny percentage but that tiny percentage show more than 50 percent torn media what does that say for the filters as a whole and how many of these filters are torn and the consumer doesn't know.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Don't waste your time. Plenty of people here have contacted Purolator about the media tearing issue. They know very well about it. Are they fixing the problem? ... let's hope so. But if they don't they are just shooting themselves in the foot.

Your avg. Joe mechanic who buys a filter at Walmart or AZ or AAP has never cut open a filter and knows nothing of the issue.
I suspect Purolator will sell about 50 less filters/yr, mainly due to some BITOG members not buying them.

If you want to push the issue, make the product buyers at Walmart or AZ or AAP aware.

I'm sure they would act faster if a few trashed engine claims were filled due to their filter media issues. Seems when money and lawyers get involved then things start to change.

I'm sure they would act faster if a few trashed engine claims were filled due to their filter media issues. Seems when money and lawyers get involved then things start to change.

Why wait? You are "in the know" so simply change filter brands. Not saying that you are, but why are so many 'brand loyal' to a company that has blatantly stated something to the effect, "it is a non-issue and simply buy more of our product since it is continuously improved"? Other than MC filters, I had never used a Purolator branded filter prior to my finding BITOG. Speaking for me, I can drop them just as easily especially when other companies have filters as good if not better...

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Your avg. Joe mechanic who buys a filter at Walmart or AZ or AAP has never cut open a filter and knows nothing of the issue.
I suspect Purolator will sell about 50 less filters/yr, mainly due to some BITOG members not buying them.

If you want to push the issue, make the product buyers at Walmart or AZ or AAP aware.

It's not just the BITOG members that aren't buying them, think of all of the other do-it-yourselfers that read the articles on this site when researching what oil/filter to use on their vehicle.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
It's not just the BITOG members that aren't buying them, think of all of the other do-it-yourselfers that read the articles on this site when researching what oil/filter to use on their vehicle.

Plus the talk here does spread to other chat boards, which will again spread around to other chat boards from those.

Originally Posted By: Donald

We'd probably see results if Bosch raised a stink or if Motorcrafts started exhibiting tears.

Even with a torn media it would be incredibly difficult to prove that the filter was the problem. Especially as the miles pile on. At 100k+ it's an extremely hard sell that the filter you put on trashed the engine.

So outside the can exploding or the O-ring failing they know there will be near 0 claims. And those that try will mostly be in the classic "who has more money and better lawyers".

When the buying public loses confidence in a product, the manufacturer should take it seriously and take corrective action. If not, it must live with reduced sales. That is, unless the public has a short memory and still buys the problem product. I think BITOG members are smarter than that, and there are many solid alternatives to Purolator.

How can a torn filter trash an engine? VW Beetle never even had an oil filter and they lasted 100K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back