Coked Rings & Oil Burning Reduction Experiments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Watching with interest.

With kreen we simply followed the label instructions which recommend adding it to BOTH fuel and the sump. There is a cleaning effect for the PCV system and sometimes the back of the throttle body IME. Our fleet trucks love to gum up the PCV setup, both fixed orifice and valved types.

SteveSRT8: Glad you chimed in. Am looking for your experience & you were most of the reason why I am running this 1st leg of the experiment!

Actually, I did just run 18 Oz. of Kreen in 11 Gallons of gas ~500 miles ago before a 400 mile trip!
smile.gif
Did not notice any oil related improvements, but it sure got WAY better gas mileage!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
Watching with interest.

With kreen we simply followed the label instructions which recommend adding it to BOTH fuel and the sump. There is a cleaning effect for the PCV system and sometimes the back of the throttle body IME. Our fleet trucks love to gum up the PCV setup, both fixed orifice and valved types.

SteveSRT8: Glad you chimed in. Am looking for your experience & you were most of the reason why I am running this 1st leg of the experiment!

Actually, I did just run 18 Oz. of Kreen in 11 Gallons of gas ~500 miles ago before a 400 mile trip!
smile.gif
Did not notice any oil related improvements, but it sure got WAY better gas mileage!
thumbsup2.gif

Glad you got a good result. We have found it to be a great fuel additive, too. Like I said, I'll be watching!

So, the problem is, you don't know if the oil consumption is due to wear or sludged components.

I would first do a piston soak with either LCD20 or Rislone Engine Oil Treatment.

Then check each cylinder's compression.

Well............

There's one big wrench to the experiment. Just got into my 1st in 36 years head-on collision.

A 5-Car chain reaction. Laid on my brakes as hard as I could. Didn't hit the Acura MDX hard at all, but my hood crumpled right up.
frown.gif

29zd82a.jpg

I'll get this fixed & back on the road as it's only the hood & the front. Side quarters are fine.

We'll keep the experiment going.

Still. Muh baby.....
frown.gif

There's one big wrench to the experiment. Just got into my 1st in 36 years head-on collision.

Sorry to hear it. Fixing that will be a real challenge for any additive.

Well............

A 5-Car chain reaction. Laid on my brakes as hard as I could. Didn't hit the Acura MDX hard at all, but my hood crumpled right up.
frown.gif

29zd82a.jpg

I'll get this fixed & back on the road as it's only the hood & the front. Side quarters are fine.

We'll keep the experiment going.

Still. Muh baby.....
frown.gif

That sucks! I'm glad you're OK.

Bugger! Hope it "buffs out' easy enough and the experiment continues.

I'm interested in what Rislone will do after reading Molakule's comments in some other threads.

I have 4 ounces of Gumout Multisystem Tune up in my Corolla with similar issues to what Saturns have - poorly designed rings that coke oil, stick, and lead to high oil consumption.

I will be trying Risolne during my next oil change to see if I can get the consumption back to over a quart per 2,000 to 3,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Bugger! Hope it "buffs out' easy enough and the experiment continues.

I'm interested in what Rislone will do after reading Molakule's comments in some other threads.

I have 4 ounces of Gumout Multisystem Tune up in my Corolla with similar issues to what Saturns have - poorly designed rings that coke oil, stick, and lead to high oil consumption.

I will be trying Risolne during my next oil change to see if I can get the consumption back to over a quart per 2,000 to 3,000 miles.

I'll get 'er back on the road soon!!
thumbsup2.gif

Hey, I have a $1000 Collision Deductible on it & an Adjuster is coming out soon,
so not sure how that's gonna work out.

My 1st time in this situation... PLUS it's rare, so not sure how that values out...

Thoughts??

^^^I remember when my 98 Neon R/T was stolen the Ins. co. tried a lowball offer first.

You have to squeal and provide support documentation, I ended up getting a lot more than they offered initially...

^^^I remember when my 98 Neon R/T was stolen the Ins. co. tried a lowball offer first.

You have to squeal and provide support documentation, I ended up getting a lot more than they offered initially...

I'll print the WIKI Page that lists the Special Editions,
& the #'s made...

Scroll down to the "Special Editions" section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_S-Series

Good enough??

My 1st time in this situation... PLUS it's rare, so not sure how that values out...
Thoughts??

Rare is in the eye of the beholder, and the adjustor may be near-sighted.

Get online to AutoTrader and any other used vehicle websites you can find. Locate all similar vehicles you can find - same make, model, similar features, similar mileage. Go nationwide, if you can't find anything close to home. Save each complete listing. Preeferably save it electronically to a file, but if that doesn't work then by printing out the listing.

Do this now, tonight, don't delay. And be sure your computer date-stamps the documents. With that, you have a much better basis for establishing the vehicle's value.

Dave,

Didn't think about the (few) rare ones for sale & e-printing those ads, so yes, that is what I'll do! Thanks for the reminder...
thumbsup2.gif

Just talked to him & he'll be out tomorrow Midday.

Just cleaned 'er up real good with a Wax Refresher/Detailer.
smile.gif

So, they write me a check for anything over the Deductible??

So, they write me a check for anything over the Deductible??

Maybe, maybe not.

I would try to figure out what body shop you want to do the work. If drivable, get the car by that shop and get an estimate. Listen carefully to the body-men - good ones can tell you all sorts of things about the damage, the repair, what works, etc.

You might get two estimates if you have time. Get busy tomorrow morning.

See what the adjustor says. Some are reasonable. Some are otherwise. The more you know about the vehicle value, about the damage and about the repair the better off you are.

The adjustor does this for a living. He is not your friend. He is not a distant relative of Santa Claus.

I had a brief conversation and he sounded like one of us, just a regular guy.

I'll show him the Wiki Page, plus this BumbleBee that did not make Reserve:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121369149945?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The "Independent" Adjuster showed up in a Pick-up with Deer Rack emblems in his back window & was a great guy.

Showed him the rare Production #'s & the expired eBay ad. He took pictures of the pages.

We talked about the possible price it would sell for; I mentioned about $4k, referencing what I paid for my nice SL2.

Opened the SL2's hood so he could compare, too.
smile.gif

He'll get back to me, trying/hoping he can convince the Ins. Co. not to total it.

Went really well!

Even if they total it, could you still just take the check and buy the car back and fix it if you really wanted to? It would obviously cost more then getting a different car, but it has sentimental value to you.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Even if they total it, could you still just take the check and buy the car back and fix it if you really wanted to? It would obviously cost more then getting a different car, but it has sentimental value to you.

Yes, I would think so. The only downside of this is that you would have a 'salvage' title or something similar. Check with your insurance company to be sure they will continue to insure a vehicle with such a title, and any limitations they might include.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back