Tesla 3 series-fighter will carry a $35k price tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im impressed with the brand and the story behind the CEO himself. If I had the money, I wouldnt hesitate to get one. Finally a car with incredible range on a battery pack.

The Model S already renders its competition irrelevant except for a few fringe cases. This new car could do the same in its own segment. Can't wait to see if it actually pans out.

Either way, it needs more range for sure. Maybe in its second generation, or with an update...

I wonder how much it'll weigh. Reducing the linear dimensions of an object by 20% while holding density and proportions constant would cut the weight in half. That'd put the Model III around 2200-2400 lbs. I'm sure it'll end up weighing a good deal more than that (e.g. because they'll be using more steel and less aluminum), but it could still be pretty darn light. Between that and the inherent advantages of the bottom-mounted battery pack and between-the-rear-wheels powertrain, the Model III's ICE-based competitors will likely have a tough time matching its handling...

This is a car I'm interested in. I could drive 2-3 weeks on a single charge.

Yay more environmental killing battery production! All the in name of CO2 emissions, though, so it is OK.

Our building is gold LEED certified inside and out and we are now adding on, so we will be adding 15 charging stations as a part of the new section's certification. This is pushing me more and more to look at an electric car; with company provided charges, what is not to like and a Tesla would be very nice indeed.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Yay more environmental killing battery production! All the in name of CO2 emissions, though, so it is OK.

You are filling in a lot of suppositions that just aren't warranted in this thread.

Tesla is disrupting the market and in the end the consumer will be the winner.

Nice, the Model S is the most advanced car this side of the S class, plus its American.

They are very popular around here and I suspect when a less expensive one is available they will be everywhere, like 5 series and E class and cheap Audi's and Lexus.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

You are filling in a lot of suppositions that just aren't warranted in this thread.

Are you not familiar with battery production for the Tesla vehicles?

Musk is doing to the auto market what Henry Ford did a few generations ago with the Model T.

If it is truly a "3-series fighter" and can be operated for less than the cost of a 3-series, it seems like it would be a compelling choice for people that don't need a vehicle with the range a refueling abilities of a conventional vehicle.

While some EV and hybrid purchasers are concerned about the environment, many are only concerned with the cost of operation/ownership (see: taxi use of hybrids).

But I'm curious to read the study you are referencing that identifies Tesla or other EV makers as "environment[al] killers". Do you have a link?

...instead EV owners can obsess about battery discharge levels and charging rates and worry about their effect on battery life.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Imagine a car you can drive on short trips and not worry about moisture build up in the oil....

I have two of those: 2006 Honda Accord & 2003 Saab 9-5
grin.gif

Are you not familiar with battery production for the Tesla vehicles?

Please educate us. Are they made from arsenic and dumped in lakes and rivers when dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back