Two leaf blowers: choke and primer bulb issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi, two blowers in question here. A 2006 echo at my home and a mid-1990s craftsman at our mountain home.

The echo starts first pull, runs well, is very efficient, etc.

But it's as oily as can be. I run Mobil1 2T oil at the correct ratio, same as in my husqvarna trimmer of the same age (which did have a fuel line go bad, but that one dripped fuel, which the echo doesn't do), and the echo is oily while the trimmer is not. Neither smoke or operate in any odd way. It seems to be worst at the carb gasket and primer bulb. It seems to lose fuel from the tank quickly too. But the fuel lines all look perfect, and this seems to be originating from the carb area. How should I best diagnose?

The second is a craftsman. We bought it new in the mid 90s, but we bought it at sea level and have it in the mountains, fwiw. Of course mountains by east coast standards are like 1000ft or so. It has never run right, even after taking it for warranty repair, probably back in around 1995. It has no primer, but it starts well, but it needs to be choked to operate. As a result, when running, it's pretty smoky. It will run all day at about 1/3 choke, but if like to fix it. It is a carb setting, but in not entirely sure what to go after.

Recommendations?

Thanks!

craftsman probably needs a carb rebuild or is partially clogged most likely from gas residue, something falling apart, or foreign dirt/debris that was in the gas.

No real idea whats wrong with the echo..

have you considered using a different 2 cycle oil. I've had excellent results with g-oil brand 2 cycle oil

it proclaims to exceed api tc, and jaso FD

also its low odor and smoke.

Last edited:
The craftsman has run this way since new. The carb may well need a rebuild, but this operating behavior has always been the case. We took it back for warranty service once, no better upon subsequent use. But it's at a location were not always at, and is not routinely used anyway.

I've used the same 2T oil in the echo since new. Only this year has this happened.

I have a Craftsman of that vintage. They have had an issue with the head bolts(torx) loosening. I had similiar issues with mine till I found one of the bolts very loose and it has run/started very well ever since.

Thanks! We will check the craftsman next time were up there.

I'm guessing that the echo is just degraded polymers? It's really dirty and oily. Is there a best source for new hoses (Tyson I assume)?

Any reason to rebuild the carb? It starts and runs perfect, it's just the oily mess that bothers me...

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back