Any Battery Preferences

Status
Not open for further replies.
stay far away from sears years back in the 70's the die hard was the greatest now i would not touch anything they sell batteries wise.
AAP silver or gold is good
Auto zone gold i always had good luck with also

I must +1 to buying the best warranty. Right now in the USA i prefer the Autocraft Gold at Advance Auto since i can use a 40% off code when i see it and have a 3 year warranty for replacement.

Exactly. Since almost all batteries are made by a select few mfgrs who cares about brand.

We buy the one with the longest non pro rated warranty term. AAP is at the top of that list right now...

I've been buying the AAP's AutoCraft GOLD batteries lately on the AAP website with $50 discount codes.
smile.gif

But, I believe that Walmart EverStart MAXX now carries the 3 year Free Full replacement and 5 year ProRating. It's gotten expensive lately but, if you're looking for warranty on a battery, it's a decent alternative.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng....l4=&veh=sem

Last edited:
If cost is an issue, get two of the cheapest batteries you can find along with a cheAP trickle charger to keep the 'spare' fully charged.

Works in a pinch

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Old Optimas good...New Optimas junk.

Get a Autocraft Silver or Gold from Advance and use code WD28 and save.

Yellow top here going on 5 years in the TBird
wink.gif

How do you sign up or receive these AAP coupon codes? I'm getting ready to have to buy a battery for a newly acquired Mercury Grand Marquis and this could certainly help.

Originally Posted By: klt1986
How do you sign up or receive these AAP coupon codes? I'm getting ready to have to buy a battery for a newly acquired Mercury Grand Marquis and this could certainly help.
I've been finding them on BITOG, but I would also like to receive them directly as well (Sayjac, help!). Ones I know off the top of my head are p20 and a124.

I've used Interstate batteries for years and never had one fail prematurely.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Do not buy the battery, buy the warranty

Interesting perspective. I've always bought the battery, and never needed the warranty.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
stay far away from sears years back in the 70's the die hard was the greatest now i would not touch anything they sell batteries wise.

I don't know about that. One of my cars a 2000 had a new die hard in 2003, i bought it in 2005 and its still still going strong.
Never on a maintainer or charger and starts the engine no problem after sitting every Nov-May.

I am really tempted to replace it with another when it does die if i still have the car.

bad advice!
unless of course the spare is dry charged.
once filled deterioration begins.
i have dry charged batts from 1945 that are fine.
but they typically have to be special ordered.
and you add the acid when you put it in sevice.
Originally Posted By: Olas
If cost is an issue, get two of the cheapest batteries you can find along with a cheAP trickle charger to keep the 'spare' fully charged.

Works in a pinch

Does anyone know if you buy a battery from Costco and say a year or two from now, you're no longer a Costco member, do they still honor the battery warranty? This has been the main thing keeping me from trying a battery from Costco.

crazyoildude,

Punctuation is your friend.

The lifespan of any lead acid battery is determined by how much of its lifespan it was kept near fully charged.

The best lead acid battery ever made, and kept at 50% state of charge will not last as long as the least expensive lead acid battery, kept at 99% State of charge.

Most have no idea how much the parasitic draws on any given battery are, nor how little the alternator can really return in that 5 block trip to the store and back.

And thus any claims of longevity of any particular battery brand are largely irrelevant, as there is no supporting data as to how the battery was treated during its lifespan. Either it starts the car, or it does not, that is all 99% of the car driving public ever knows about their battery.

I agree on buying the warranty, but if one is really trying to get the longest lifespan from a battery, they would be better off actually caring how close to 100% SOC the battery got to live its life, rather than caring who made the battery.

The person who cares about the state of charge, and takes measures to keep it near or at 100%, will likely never need the warranty.

Anytime the battery is discharged it is being abused to some degree. The longer it is left discharged and the more it is discharged the faster it loses capacity and ability to crank the engine quickly. Today's FI engines start so quickly that the actual energy needed from the battery is very little, compared to the carbureted days of old. The shortcomings are revealed when cold, or when the compromised battery was discharged more than normal through some incident, like too much stereo with the engine off, or a dome light left on overnight.

Sure some batteries are more resistant to abuse than others, but in large part, starting batteries are all very similar, the difference is in the marketing and the sticker thrown on the case and what the battery distributor feels is the best compromise for their maximum profit.

Interstate has never manufactured a battery, they are a battery marketer. Their flooded starting batteries are largely made by Johnson controls.

Whether this JC battery with an interstate label is the same internally as the Wally world battery with an everstart Sticker on it, is the biggest unknown factor. We know WW forces manufacturers to a price point, but will manufacturers retool their lines to cut the corners to meet WW's price point, and actually still profit?

And as far as avoiding anything with a diehard label on it, well the Die Hard Platinum batteries are relabelled Odyssey AGM batteries, and these are among the best lead acid batteries available. The Die Hard Gold AGM are relabelled Deka Intimidator series, which have a pretty good reputation too.

But drain any battery to 50%, expect short drives to return it to 100%, and it will live a short life, regardless of initial build quality, or how shiny the "130 amp" alternator is.

Because getting any lead acid battery from 80% to 100% takes hours, regardless of the charging source.

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID
Does anyone know if you buy a battery from Costco and say a year or two from now, you're no longer a Costco member, do they still honor the battery warranty? This has been the main thing keeping me from trying a battery from Costco.

When your Costco battery goes bad you are directed to the customer return line, they find you in the system and refund your money no problem, regardless on wether or not you are a current member.

They will ask you how you want your refund and allow you to provide any other card to get the credit back.

You then can go pick up a new battery with your refund, but not at Costco...until you become a member again..

Costco does not swap batteries..If the battery fails, you get your money back

Last edited:

Unless you go for the Diehard Platinum. It is the Enersys Odyssey battery with a different colored case. Odyssey's are one of the top of the heap in power, though it comes at a price.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
But, I believe that Walmart EverStart MAXX now carries the 3 year Free Full replacement and 5 year ProRating. It's gotten expensive lately but, if you're looking for warranty on a battery, it's a decent alternative.

EverStart H8 is what I'm thinking of getting to replace my 6-year-old Duralast 49DL that's about to die. Battery prices have sure increased quite a bit in recent years. That Duralast was around $69 from Autozone back then. Now this EverStart will be $120+.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

EverStart H8 is what I'm thinking of getting to replace my 6-year-old Duralast 49DL that's about to die. Battery prices have sure increased quite a bit in recent years. That Duralast was around $69 from Autozone back then. Now this EverStart will be $120+.

Often OEM and replacement group 49 batteries come from Spain, and have a white casing. In those cases, you wouldn't be able to determine the differences between replacement brands.

Not all group 49 batteries are like that, I certainly have used replacement group 49 batteries that came in the usual black case and were made in the USA or Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back