Purolator PL10241 Cut Open - 3 Tears!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

I drove over into SW Louisiana today to change the oil in my Mother's 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.8L V6. It had about 7.5K on a run of PP 5W-20 and a PL10241. I brought my filter cutter with me to check it and unfortunately, I must report this filter had 3 tears in the media. My mother does not drive spiritedly at all and this OC was about 10 months worth. I took extra care and time when cutting the can to be sure that I did not stress the media in any way. For the naysayers, it is not possible to touch the media with the cutter as shown in Photo 3 so that is not what caused the tears. I initially thought it had a small tear in only one pleat, until I examined the other end!

Because I did not have another filter on hand, I had to install another P1 with the exact same date code. Thankfully, last September, I only bought 2 of them and this constitutes the last. However, I will be removing it next weekend and installing a Fram Ultra XG3614 in its place. I will not purchase another Purolator until the tearing problems have been resolved and if I find the MC filters on the Explorer are tearing, I will report it to Ford and will switch to Fram Ultra on that vehicle too.

Not sure what to say other than Purolator has a problem they need to address and can someone decode the date code to see if it falls into the date(s) that have shown to have tears?

EDIT: I found the decoder:

F = Fayettevile, North Carolina Plant
06 = Month (June)
E = Year (2013)
08 = Day of Month
D = Line Number
1 = Shift

1 - Can Label:

8fb63b.jpg

2 - Date Code:

08f7f3.jpg

3 - Not Possible to Cut Media:

994f80.jpg

4 - Inside Can:

5dd6d6.jpg

5 - Two Tears (Base End):

73020d.jpg

6 - Two Tears (Base End Closeup):

798206.jpg

7 - Single Tear (Bypass End):

5cf00b.jpg

8 - Opposite Side:

ca62e4.jpg

9 - Bypass:

29c625.jpg

10 - Base and ADBV:

6bc78c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No surprises here ... same tear pattern, over and over again.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
No surprises here ... same tear pattern, over and over again.
eek.gif

I have to admit that I was pretty surprised to find 3 tears...

Don't want to hijack here, but has there been any of these reports with Bosch? I have some of the good Bosch Distance Plus filters, but have read that Purolator and Bosch have/had the same ownership. Just wondering...should I be concerned, or is the Distance Plus a totally different animal?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
But....she sure has one nice backside if it wasn't for those tears!

It was the side I saw first and thought.."meh...not so bad!" and then....

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I've got about 20 PureOne filters for our cars, no real worries.

Why no worries? Three tears in a single filter in less than 7,500 miles concerns me to the point of not using any more of them. It should at least raise an eyebrow...

There was a thread earlier today, the Purolator was developing tears after less than 600 miles.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Why no worries? Three tears in a single filter in less than 7,500 miles concerns me to the point of not using any more of them. It should at least raise an eyebrow...

I agree. Even though the puro-made FL-910S I just cut open after 7000 on my focus looks perfect, I'm probably going to stick with FRAM Ultras and NAPA Gold filters until I see some evidence purolator is fixing this.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Don't want to hijack here, but has there been any of these reports with Bosch? I have some of the good Bosch Distance Plus filters, but have read that Purolator and Bosch have/had the same ownership. Just wondering...should I be concerned, or is the Distance Plus a totally different animal?

The list is here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3429492/6

Bosch has shown tears.

Well you can check the model # against the list to see if it has a high chance of tearing or not. If it is on the list why would you run a defective filter that likely is torn near the beginning of an OCI?

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

The list is here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3429492/6

Bosch has shown tears.

How about the Bosch Distance+? I am not interested in just the term "Bosch." What about THAT specific line of filter?

Yup. I posted pics of a bosch cartridge filter with tears.

I understand about not wanting to waste the PureOnes that you have but why risk running 20 of them?

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
How about the Bosch Distance+? I am not interested in just the term "Bosch." What about THAT specific line of filter?

I cut open two of them and posted pics here. No tears.

Bosch D+ 3410
Bosch D+ 3334

I've since gone back to using NAPA Gold/Wix in my cars due to the Purolator issues, and due to the NAPA Gold/Wix being a better value. I ran a NG for over 9,000 miles and it looked great, the UOA came back with 0.1 insolubles.

NG 9060 Filter, 9,100 miles
UOA from above NG filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back