Not stopping when shifting into drive....

Status
Not open for further replies.
For instance: when you are backing out of a parking spot, and you throw it in drive without stopping all the way, I know many people do this every day without even thinking about it. I stop all the way when shifting into drive or reverse. What kind of damage is caused by this? I tell people its not good for your transmission to do this. The same people that do this rev there engine up in the winter to "warm it up". Can anyone give me proof this is bad to back up my statements?

I used to have a boss that went through 3 transmissions in 80K on a 1976 Chevy van doing that. However he was proud(and bragged about the fact) that he had never had to put brakes on the same vehicle. After a group of us tried to explain that 1) that is what brakes were for and 2) brakes are cheaper than transmissions unsuccessfully, we figured that he was close enough for government work. Fortunately, he found his calling.

I have been told the transmission joints take a large part of the abuse. I also come to a complete stop.

My brother blew through 2 transmissions in 4 years doing that.

He thought it was fun.

Until our Father decided that he wouldn't pay for another transmission and he had to buy a car himself.

Very stressful to all kinds of components that are not designed for that.
Use the brakes. They exist for a reason.

Not sure if it hurts the tranny, but I never do it and often yell at the wife if I catch her doing it. To me just seems like it could damage the car..

Not too fast!

Remember, your output shaft will be spinning in the OPPOSITE direction when the FWD clutches and bands engage, meaning double the RPM differential.

I do this sometimes, very modestly and barely moving Thank goodness for the shock absorbing fluid coupling of the TC

NEVER FAST or in a loaded or heavy vehicle!!

I cringe when people do that, it's like they're trying to stop a boat or something. I come to a complete stop, shift to N for a second and then into D or R depending what I want to do. I want all the load off the drive train before going from D to R, or R to D. Can it damage something? Probably over time it might, I'd rather not find out.

On 4L60E's that means stripping/snapping the sunshell gear spline. It's a common weak point on these transmissions but it probably can be prevented by coming to a complete stop when shifting from R to D.

I wouldn't be surprised if newer vehicles had programming/design so as to minimize damage. Well, at least until the warranty gives up anyhow.

Once in a while I'll get ahead of myself and do this. But since most reverse gears on manual transmissions aren't synconized it's a pretty fast reminder to come to a full and complete stop.

In the earlier series of Holden COmmodore, one of the ads on the TV was a Commodore in a sandbox, and full throttle D/R swaps as the car started to move...was supposed to demonstrate the durability of the car I guess.

Funnily, they had two autos in those, the local Trimatic in the 6s and 253ci V-8...and the turbo 400 in the 308ci V-8)...I'm surmising that their videoed test was the latter.

Do it on rare occasion very slowly in the Cruze since R is right next to 1st. No hill assist, so sometimes the car rolls back a good few feet before the pressure plate fully clamps.

Wife does it all the time to her Fit. I drain/fill the ATF yearly on that car.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
On 4L60E's that means stripping/snapping the sunshell gear spline. It's a common weak point on these transmissions but it probably can be prevented by coming to a complete stop when shifting from R to D.

I had a friend who worked at the local government fleet, and his experiences are the same as yours.

My father worked at another fleet, and said that as abusive as some people are about automatic transmissions, they treat manual transmissions far worse. Either the driver doesn't know how to handle one, or they just don't care.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
In the earlier series of Holden COmmodore, one of the ads on the TV was a Commodore in a sandbox, and full throttle D/R swaps as the car started to move...was supposed to demonstrate the durability of the car I guess.

Funnily, they had two autos in those, the local Trimatic in the 6s and 253ci V-8...and the turbo 400 in the 308ci V-8)...I'm surmising that their videoed test was the latter.

Turbo 400 behind a 308 V8? Seems kinda overkill. Unless if the point was to allow (encourage?) such abuse.

I've read of 727's behind slant sixes, taxi or full size van service I guess.

I usually shift into neutral while still backing up. It helps the car come to a complete stop faster and easier. Once it's at a complete stop I shift into drive.

Originally Posted By: supton
Turbo 400 behind a 308 V8? Seems kinda overkill. Unless if the point was to allow (encourage?) such abuse.

I've read of 727's behind slant sixes, taxi or full size van service I guess.

The trimatic (although a good and efficient) gearbox had a double stacked planetary, and was apparently weak (drag racers still did OK using only the first two gears with third for "overdrive" on the way home from the track), and Holden put the 400 behind the biggest V-8, the 308.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I usually shift into neutral while still backing up. It helps the car come to a complete stop faster and easier. Once it's at a complete stop I shift into drive.

Same here, if my reverse path is simple and predictable.

And I have no fear of shifting into D while the vehicle is moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back