Fram Air Hog - what happened to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Oiled cloth air filters are not as good as paper. Their only good use is for very dusty applications, like moto bikes.

I was told oiled air filters like the FRAM TOUGH GAURD and PUREONE AIR FILTER and K&N and cause damage to the Mass Air Flow Sensor.

For instance my Honda Accord V6, Fram nor Purolator make a oiled Air Filter for it.

K&N Does.. but I have been told not to use them... b/c they damage the Mass Air Flow Sensor

I have been told Regular Fram Air Filter or Honda OEM or even Driveworks paper Air Filter is perfect.

You will not find ONE documented case on this site where someone has had a mass air sensor fail due to a K&N air filter. K&N has obtained many sensors from dealers and/or consumers where filter oil was the suspected culprit.

Of 395 they received, 271 were functioning properly.

"Of the 124 sensors we received that were truly malfunctioning, 46 had a complete electronic failure in which the sensor's voltage output was a flat line, generally caused by a connection or circuitry problem within the sensor. When a sensor is responsive but it's voltage output is not within the normal limits we refer to this as "out of range". This condition can be caused by circuitry problems and it can also be caused by a sensor's thermistor becoming dirty or contaminated. We sent 31 out of range sensors to an independent laboratory for an elemental and chemical analysis and the majority of them were found to have silicone as the contaminant.

Silicone is used on the circuitry of these sensors because it acts as an excellent thermal and electrical insulator, inherently sticks to most surfaces, and is resistant to moisture and heat. Some MAF sensors use a high temperature burn-off cycle to eliminate normal engine contaminants from the sensor. Silicone is resistant to this process.

Thermistors are used in MAF sensors to measure the transfer of heat from the thermistor to the air passing by the sensor. A thermistor's resistance changes as its surrounding temperature changes. The greater the air mass and air flow the greater the transfer of heat. When a thermistor is "silicone contaminated" the thermistor becomes insulated and can result in an out of range condition.

In addition to out of range sensors, functioning and failed sensors have also been sent to an independent forensic laboratory for analysis. A few of these sensors were found to have trace amounts of oil on the thermistor. The amount of oil was so minimal that an accurate analysis of the oil's source could not be determined. The trace amount of oil can conceivably be found from two possible sources: fuel in the combustion chamber or motor oil used as an engine lubricant that gets suspended in crankcase vapor. Our experience in the lab is that trace amounts of oil don't change the sensitivity of the sensor enough to cause an "out of range" electronic signal. Furthermore our testing has shown that K&N air filter oil will not come off a K&N air filter even in extreme conditions."

K&N testing

Originally Posted By: GatorJ
Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Oiled cloth air filters are not as good as paper. Their only good use is for very dusty applications, like moto bikes.

I was told oiled air filters like the FRAM TOUGH GAURD and PUREONE AIR FILTER and K&N and cause damage to the Mass Air Flow Sensor.

For instance my Honda Accord V6, Fram nor Purolator make a oiled Air Filter for it.

K&N Does.. but I have been told not to use them... b/c they damage the Mass Air Flow Sensor

I have been told Regular Fram Air Filter or Honda OEM or even Driveworks paper Air Filter is perfect.

You will not find ONE documented case on this site where someone has had a mass air sensor fail due to a K&N air filter. K&N has obtained many sensors from dealers and/or consumers where filter oil was the suspected culprit.

Of 395 they received, 271 were functioning properly.

"Of the 124 sensors we received that were truly malfunctioning, 46 had a complete electronic failure in which the sensor's voltage output was a flat line, generally caused by a connection or circuitry problem within the sensor. When a sensor is responsive but it's voltage output is not within the normal limits we refer to this as "out of range". This condition can be caused by circuitry problems and it can also be caused by a sensor's thermistor becoming dirty or contaminated. We sent 31 out of range sensors to an independent laboratory for an elemental and chemical analysis and the majority of them were found to have silicone as the contaminant.

Silicone is used on the circuitry of these sensors because it acts as an excellent thermal and electrical insulator, inherently sticks to most surfaces, and is resistant to moisture and heat. Some MAF sensors use a high temperature burn-off cycle to eliminate normal engine contaminants from the sensor. Silicone is resistant to this process.

Thermistors are used in MAF sensors to measure the transfer of heat from the thermistor to the air passing by the sensor. A thermistor's resistance changes as its surrounding temperature changes. The greater the air mass and air flow the greater the transfer of heat. When a thermistor is "silicone contaminated" the thermistor becomes insulated and can result in an out of range condition.

In addition to out of range sensors, functioning and failed sensors have also been sent to an independent forensic laboratory for analysis. A few of these sensors were found to have trace amounts of oil on the thermistor. The amount of oil was so minimal that an accurate analysis of the oil's source could not be determined. The trace amount of oil can conceivably be found from two possible sources: fuel in the combustion chamber or motor oil used as an engine lubricant that gets suspended in crankcase vapor. Our experience in the lab is that trace amounts of oil don't change the sensitivity of the sensor enough to cause an "out of range" electronic signal. Furthermore our testing has shown that K&N air filter oil will not come off a K&N air filter even in extreme conditions."

K&N testing

You can find plenty of documented cases where the oil buildup on the hot wires of MAF sensors from oiled gauze filters causes engines to run lean, and in some cases, blow up. Turbo Subaru's are a prime example with plenty of documentation/testing.

Originally Posted By: Motorking

Hi,
I am the tech director at FRAM... both K+N and UNI washable filters held less than half as much dirt as all brands of cellulose filters tested and let a whopping 7 grams of dirt into the engine before they became full. This compared to paper filters letting 1/2 to 1 gram pass in the same time.

Thank you for the reply Motorking! What would your advice be? Run the AirHog (I usually change my air filter every 12K miles or so) or take it out and put a paper in? I don't want to harm my engine over a $7 air filter.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I've had a Fram Air Hog PPA6479 on my daily driver since 2005. The filter still looks almost as new as the day I bought it. The filter never gets dirty because it's self cleaning. Dirt hits the filter and then falls off. Teflon frying pan principle. The quality of the filter is a thousand times better than K&N.

This is a joke, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back