Focus new clutch, and updated software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I suppose it's good that Ford honors the warranty. That being said, I'd be rather unhappy with an 18 month old vehicle that needed repairs that were that extensive. That's quality I would have expected in the 1970's, not in the 2010's.

This IS the gorilla in the room that everybody seems to ignore.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I suppose it's good that Ford honors the warranty. That being said, I'd be rather unhappy with an 18 month old vehicle that needed repairs that were that extensive. That's quality I would have expected in the 1970's, not in the 2010's.

Of course no one wants it to be their car that has the issues but new technology has a learning curve.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

The way the two posts above me are worded, one would think that a new car shouldn't have problems just because it's new. New does not equal problem-free. All it means is that it's quite a bit more likely to have fewer issues, and that those issues which are caused by a design or manufacturing error will be corrected at no additional cost to the purchaser.

All new cars have problems. Ours did, and they were fixed under warranty, including a few that could have turned into show-stoppers had they not been fixed in time.

New cars have been generally getting more reliable over the past decade. That still doesn't mean they're perfect.

Yet it's stated by someone who runs a used Hyundai elantra. Right, like no Hyundai has needed warranty repair on new subsystems. It's only a company that has to offer a longer than typical warranty because of the consumer vote of non-confidence otherwise.

I wouldn't worry about the odd logic.

It sucks that repairs are necessary on such a new vehicle, but there are manufacturing variabilities and these things do happen.

Our A4 needed its CVT replaced at 12k miles. When it was replaced they put in an updated unit with more clutch discs (7 vs 6?), the replacement worked better from day 1 and we had no further troubles with the CVT. Early adoption has a price.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yet it's stated by someone who runs a used Hyundai elantra. Right, like no Hyundai has needed warranty repair on new subsystems. It's only a company that has to offer a longer than typical warranty because of the consumer vote of non-confidence otherwise.

I wouldn't worry about the odd logic.

It sucks that repairs are necessary on such a new vehicle, but there are manufacturing variabilities and these things do happen.

Agreed, particularly with something that is this "new" for an OEM. This isn't like Ford was putting a 5R110 behind the engine in the Focus; their HD trannies are something they've been extremely good at in the past. This is something the Germans have been dabbling in for quite some time (semi-automatic AT's) but not Ford. So it is to be expected that there would be at least a few growing pains. And if it is covered under warranty and not a gross inconvenience, well
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This is something the Germans have been dabbling in for quite some time (semi-automatic AT's) but not Ford. So it is to be expected that there would be at least a few growing pains. And if it is covered under warranty and not a gross inconvenience, well
21.gif

The interesting thing is that IIRC this tranny was developed with ZF (or Getrag) so it should be decent.

But stuff happens. When I had my Infiniti G35 back in 2004, there were stories of engines being replaced in them too. As well as 6MT's that were replaced.

It happens - it's how it's handled that's the most important thing!

Originally Posted By: itguy08

For sure. How the dealer takes care of the problem and their customer makes a huge difference in customer satisfaction.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

But stuff happens. When I had my Infiniti G35 back in 2004, there were stories of engines being replaced in them too. As well as 6MT's that were replaced.

Yes, infiniti replaced a lot of engines for oil consumption, primarily in cars with 6mt's, also the early 6mt's were redesigned with stronger 3rd and 5th gear synchros.

Probably a small percentage of the zillions on the road had any problems.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm

Yes, infiniti replaced a lot of engines for oil consumption, primarily in cars with 6mt's, also the early 6mt's were redesigned with stronger 3rd and 5th gear synchros.

Probably a small percentage of the zillions on the road had any problems.

Yeah - I had mine to around 90k and didn't remember any oil consumption. The tranny sometimes would grind but I just got tired of stop and go traffic with a 6MT. It was still an awesome car though. I'd buy another.

BTW there is a new Field Service Action (Ford's name for a recall) on these transmissions extending the coverage on the clutch assemblies to 7 years 100k miles. FSA number is 14M01, just came out today.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
BTW there is a new Field Service Action (Ford's name for a recall) on these transmissions extending the coverage on the clutch assemblies to 7 years 100k miles. FSA number is 14M01, just came out today.

Do you have a link confirming this? I was trying to look it up but couldn't find anything.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Do you have a link confirming this? I was trying to look it up but couldn't find anything.

It might not be out in the public yet. It literally popped up 10 minutes or so before I posted that. I was actually about to bill the parts out on a RO, lost my copy of the TSB, and when I pulled up the car in OASIS that recall notice was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back