Done with Chrome, switched to Firefox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting tired of Google second guessing me! I don't want a "chrome notifications" icon added to my desktop, thank you anyway! Not only that, but they make you have to do a half hour of Internet research just to remove it.

I'm on Firefox now for good!

I also noticed on my system monitor that Firefox is using .6 GB less memory with the same tabs open as Chrome used!

Chrome is a pretty big memory hog. I haven't used it in a long time.

Plus it seems a lot of people who use it at home end up syncing their ... personal ... bookmarks everywhere else.

Chrome is a bit of a memory hog, but you know what? I don't care, I have 24GB so I could have a few hundred tabs open and would probably still be fine. Anyway, yes. I will continue to use chrome because I love the convenience of having my bookmarks, logins, and other stuff, saved across all my devices. Though I wish Opera would incorporate a chrome login feature, as it uses the same base as chrome does, but looks a bit cleaner imo.

Chrome uses a trifle more memory but it offers some built-in software that Internet Explorer and Firefox require external applications to run.

Chrome has a sandboxing feature that offers an extra layer of protection too.

Opera now is using the same engine as Chrome and that Apple's Safari uses and is another option.

It is possible to sync Firefox off site too but requires some intervention by the user.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver

That is why it uses so much memory; each tab runs a separate process that is isolated from the main browser and the operating system.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Anyway, yes. I will continue to use chrome because I love the convenience of having my bookmarks, logins, and other stuff, saved across all my devices. Though I wish Opera would incorporate a chrome login feature, as it uses the same base as chrome does, but looks a bit cleaner imo.

Firefox has a great sync feature, better than the chrome sync in my opinion! It's great, I can access all of my open tabs from my desktop at home while I am away using my laptop!

I've used both and get frustrated at both. Firefox crashes often for me and takes a long time to load on marginal hardware. Chrome also takes a long time to load, and uses more memory, but runs stable. Both have excellent bookmark synchronization, and both support remote tabs. I usually use Chrome because I have a Chromebook as well, so that gets sync'd. Firefox also offers no iOS software, so I can't use it on ALL of the devices I use. It's not completely platform independent. Firefox blames Apple. I'm sure there's truth to that.

I'm encouraged by Opera lately. It seems to be lightweight, but also based on Chrome. If I could use Opera on my desktops and laptops and have it sync bookmarks with my Google account, that'd be pretty spiffy.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
None of the above. Maxthon Cloud Browser beats them all.

I've looked at that as well. The company is based in China. For some reason, that puts me off, but it probably shouldn't. I can probably trust their government more than I can trust ours.

Another one of these threads!!!!!!!!!?????????? It's been a while, lol!
36.gif

I use IE, Chrome, and Firefox -- all 3 of them! EVERY DAY!!

Chrome and FF for me. I don't use IE anymore, although IIRC in order for Windows updates I have to keep it for Win 7. If that's not the case I'll dump it.

I like the customization of FF. I have all 3 installed just in case one works worse than another and vice versa. 98% of the time I use FF.

Now for Android I really like Dolphin browser...

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: SrDriver

That is why it uses so much memory; each tab runs a separate process that is isolated from the main browser and the operating system.

That's actually nice. I just didn't like the browser personally. On my latest laptop, I just stuck with safari.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Chrome also takes a long time to load, and uses more memory, but runs stable.

How old is your system? Chrome doesn't load, it opens instantly. I use it on everything from old XP rigs up to W7. Even with a basic dual core and 2 gigs of RAM, I have never seen it take more than a second or two.

Do you have a bunch of extensions that it loads or have it start with multiple tabs?

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
You can turn IE off under the control panel, no need to keep it.

Can I remove it?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
You can turn IE off under the control panel, no need to keep it.

Can I remove it?

You can only turn it off. To do that, you need to go to the uninstall a program link on the control panel. At the top left you will see "turn windows features on or off". Click that.

Running chrome on two different Pentium M laptops w/ 1 gig memory and windows XP. Runs fine. Restarting once a day rather than just allowing hibernation negates hogging issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back