Hyundai 2.4 GDi / different oils, vis, and cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Here are a few uoa's where conventional and synthetics of different viscosity are used. This is just a sample of what I've come to believe after reviewing many. There isn't enough difference for me to justify synthetic as 'a must' in the 2.4 GDi at Hyundai's conservative oci...

2011HYYF-060212.jpg

Elantra.jpg

SnipImage.jpg

blackstonetest12111.png

Last edited:
What are we looking at here...? Wear means nothing in UOAs and they are close to the same vis.

You worry about this way to much my friend.

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
What are we looking at here...? Wear means nothing in UOAs and they are close to the same vis.

Its more geared towards the Hyundai 2.4 crowd, plus some new car OCD. But I see your point.
whistle.gif

BTW, nice stable of vehicles...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay

Its more geared towards the Hyundai 2.4 crowd, plus some new car OCD. But I see your point.
whistle.gif

No offense but what makes the Hyundai 2.4 special that UOA's show more than the condition of the oil for that particular engine and the exact person who send it in?

My brother in law has a 2014 Hyundai Tucson with the Theta II.

whistle.gif

No offense but what makes the Hyundai 2.4 special that UOA's show more than the condition of the oil for that particular engine and the exact person who send it in?

Nothing special, just the widespread worry of many direct injection owners concerning fuel dilution and the argument of many, not all, that synthetics can mitigate it. Other's believe its an overblown topic. Important? Yes, but not to the frenetic levels some have taken it.

Last edited:
I don't understand. Are you posting 4 different UOA's from 4 different cars?

If so I hope you are not misled into believing you can draw any conclusions from this.

whistle.gif

Nothing special, just the widespread worry of many direct injection owners concerning fuel dilution and the argument of many, not all, that synthetics can mitigate it. Other's believe its an overblown topic. Important? Yes, but not to the frenetic levels some have taken it.

I am seeing 2 UOAs ( which only refelct that driver, that engine, and that driving syle) that show fuel above 2%.

Have you did any UOA's on your particular car with your driving style to confirm you have a fuel dilution problem?

I can tell you with my experience with two engines (neither DI but with more fuel dilution than you can imagine) synthetic wont do anything for it.

The two engines in question are a 512 stroker mopar and a 528 SC Hemi on 250 NOS shot making close do 2k HP.

I also have UOA'd my own engines (5.4 ford and 2.5 mazda) with a 1 mile commute and no fuel dilution.

Do you have a UOA with fuel dilution? Any other UOA is only worthwhile for that person in that car. Unless any of these UOAs are yours - they mean nothing for you own car and driving style.

No, not yet. The vehicle is new and I wouldn't send a uoa for anything under a 10k mile oci unless I suspected an issue, like coolant leak, fuel smell on dipstick etc. Just sharing UOA's, nothing more.

Last edited:
That first one is atrocious. Iron all the way up to 21. That's 5W-20 for you.

With 10W-30, the iron would've been about 4 or 5.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

The second one is also 5w20...IRON =8. But I know you saw that already Merk'.

Are you serious? Really? Look at some of my UOA, very low iron on 20 weights.

This is very much engine-dependent. If you saw my UOA on Xw-40 oil, you'd probably fall off your chair.

By the way, most labs don't consider 21 ppm of iron to be anywhere close to being abnormal.

Yes he is serious but is posting without any sort of knowledge on the subject. That's the distinction.

"Iron all the way up to 21" being "atrocious". That's enough to tell you all you need to know.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Are you serious? Really? Look at some of my UOA, very low iron on 20 weights.

That first one is atrocious. Iron all the way up to 21. That's 5W-20 for you. With 10W-30, the iron would've been about 4 or 5.

How would you know? In all of your 8,787 posts, you have never once posted a UOA of any of the oils that you attest to be so much better than xW-20. In fact, you have never had an original post in the UOA section period! Typically, you only post a blathering response to someone else's investment--put your money where your mouth is for a change and prove it.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
That first one is atrocious. Iron all the way up to 21. That's 5W-20 for you. With 10W-30, the iron would've been about 4 or 5.

How would you know? In all of your 8,787 posts, you have never once posted a UOA of any of the oils that you attest to be so much better than xW-20. In fact, you have never had an original post in the UOA section period! Typically, you only post a blathering response to someone else's investment--put your money where your mouth is for a change and prove it.

No kidding.

And haven't the real experts already posted that the wear metal section of these types of used oil analysis are basically meaningless in regards to measuring actual wear.
10ppm extra iron over 10000 miles is a problem?(just an example)
Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back